Pats still manipulating the cap !

Desert Bills Fan

“Patriots create cap space by reworking retiring player's contract:

The New England Patriots tacked a year onto Devin McCourty's contract at a minimum value ($1.165 million for 2023), according to ESPN's Field Yates. McCourty announced his retirement last week. According to Yates, this is a cap tactic that creates $5.035 million in 2023 cap space, while pushing $6.2 million in dead money to 2024, presuming the retirement is officially processed after June 1.”

I still hate the Cheetriots, but I love the creative thinking that comes out of that org. Beane: take a note!

• Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yeah.. the model now is build your roster like the Pats. You know those awesome TE FA signings and quality drafting the past several years. Sorry not to be a wise guy but imho the Pats organizational brilliance headed down the road when Brady left. Notice how they don’t quite get every call anymore ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by QLBillsFan

It would be working out great for them........ If they could actually convince any FA's to go there, or their own players to stay. I have a feeling that McCorkle isn't a guy that people are really wanting to go be in an offense with after his cheap shots and childish sideline tirades. 

7 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

The New England Patriots tacked a year onto Devin McCourty's contract at a minimum value ($1.165 million for 2023), according to ESPN's Field Yates. McCourty announced his retirement last week. According to Yates, this is a cap tactic that creates $5.035 million in 2023 cap space, while pushing $6.2 million in dead money to 2024, presuming the retirement is officially processed after June 1.”

I still hate the Cheetriots, but I love the creative thinking that comes out of that org. Beane: take a note!

Desert Bills Fan: Take note of the things Beane already does! 

Uh, so is Brandon Beane and every other team in the league...

Also, why is it a bad thing when New England out-smarts others and does some clever trick to gain an advantage that is not clearly outside the law?

That's not cheating, that's called being smart.

Lots of Bills fans have never seemed to understand this.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

I'm sure other teams do it also when appropriate and needed.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Desert Bills Fan said:

Liar-Liar.png

I'm pretty much done giving a crap about any moves that the Patriots make at this point

Without Brady, they've been exposed as being a totally mediocre organization

Overall, they lack high end talent

Their drafting and free agent signings don't come across as being overly strategic

Their coaching is an inbred joke, despite having a genius at the head position

They are soon to have the worst QB situation in the division

And they haven't beaten the Bills in a non-hurricane situation since 2019

They might as well be the Jets at this point

Didn't Bills do the same thing with Eric Wood???

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Yeah, but adding void years in retired players?

Its just manipulating the calendar and when you designate them pre or post June 1st. 

6 hours ago, H2o said:

It would be working out great for them........ If they could actually convince any FA's to go there, or their own players to stay. I have a feeling that McCorkle isn't a guy that people are really wanting to go be in an offense with after his cheap shots and childish sideline tirades. 

They just signed Juju away from KC

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.