Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

6 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Nice, I did see a report that the Bills were looking for a field stretching WR in the draft, guess that won't be happening anymore but the guy was right.

!

Boy this draft diamonds is some groundbreaking, new wave , analytics based , out of the box way of thinking !   Wow, “ the BILLS are keeping  it quiet that they “SEEM TO BE LOOKING FOR A GUY THAT CAN GET DOWN THE FIELD IN A HURRY!”    That’s the type of stuff i am sure the Bills were hoping would never get out or occur to other football teams ; imagine , looking at SPEEDY (AS OPPOSED TO THE USUAL SLOW GUYS I GUESS WE LOOKED FOR in prior drafts?) ROOKIE WIDE RECEIVERS!  

Not only speedy but they can get DOWN the field in a HURRY TOO;  so not just fast but they have a sense of urgency, like if someone was chasing them !  This is why the BILLS SCOUTS are playing chess and teams like Miami , CINCY, & KC are playing dominoes,,,or maybe checkers !  Sounds like we are in good hands and ahead of the curve this year.  Wont be seeing the Bills wr’s running merry go round crap like REID AND KC, cuz who got time for that when we are  now looking to get down the field in a hurry!  Sounds like Dorsey has already begun to use all that they ‘learned from this loss” and now it’s about WR’S who are  in a hurry , pressed for time GOING to the private workouts!  Or maybe coming FROM the private workouts, I’m not sure as they weren’t exactly clear about direction, except they will be headed DOWN somewhere in a HURRY; probably tough to get precise clarification when these guys they’re talking about seem to be in a hurry to get going  fast!  

Well, this is a great, comforting start to free agency as now we know we are headed DOWN , FAST, AND IN A HURRY!   I sensed that new direction after the CINCY game. Good to get confirmation from a professional  publication like DRAFT DIAMONDS, and they sure dropped a diamond in the rough with this tweet, a real gem !  This is the type of publication that the subscription price might be going DOWNhill , fast, in a hurry if they keep dropping rare forms  of analysis like this little nugget !    Hey, I’m sure they will get better as they feel the PRESSURE of fast approaching deadlines and keep getting these  deep analytical tweets out rapidly,,,,,,in a hurry,,,with urgency !  Good luck and keep up the hard,,,,work!  😊

4 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Definitely. 64 receptions in 4 years.  I don’t get it.

36 of them came just last season for 570 yards. 

What does this and the money say to me? That he was given an opportunity last season to show what he could do as a speedster deep threat. 

And obviously, given what he was paid - teams around the league saw something there that could potentially be taken to the next level given more opportunities.

We all get caught up with big names and big production. But teams are always looking at young players who have shown things that can be translated and expanded upon.

In Harty and McGovern, I feel Beane has targeted a couple young players that have shown big time promise and have the potential for growth early. 

The talk of "overpaying" to me speaks more to the interest other teams around the league had for the players and seeing the same things.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

What does this and the money say to me? That he was given an opportunity last season to show what he could do as a speedster deep threat. 

And obviously, given what he was paid - teams around the league saw something there that could potentially be taken to the next level given more opportunities.

We all get caught up with big names and big production. But teams are always looking at young players who have shown things that can be translated and expanded upon.

In Harty and McGovern, I feel Beane has targeted a couple young players that have shown big time promise and have the potential for growth early. 

The talk of "overpaying" to me speaks more to the interest other teams around the league had for the players and seeing the same things.

That was two seasons ago. He played the first 4 games this year and caught 2 passes. So no. 

7 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We’ll see.

I’m highly skeptical that a 5’6” 170 pounder is going to be a regular starter on this team.

Beane thought he was giving McDermott and Dorsey a weapon in Hines and he touched the ball 11 times on offense.

The Bills just don’t have a track record of getting these types of players involved. McKenzie is a small slot and Allen struggled to get him the ball with any efficiency.

Like others have said, nothing against the player, but I just don’t see how you can rely on him as a real player. He’s never been counted on to really produce as a Top 3 option, and he’s never been counted on to be healthy.

I’ll be surprised if he emerges as more than a bit player for the Bills. 

Dorsey needs to make a significant leap in finding a way to utilize the talent provided to him. Fella earlier today was looking at some highlights and said he was reminded of Darren Sproles. (Yes, different position, but the comp doesn't seem a stretch.) That kind of instant energy for the offense would be a welcome addition.

17 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Boy this draft diamonds is some groundbreaking, new wave , analytics based , out of the box way of thinking !   Wow, “ the BILLS are keeping  it quiet that they “SEEM TO BE LOOKING FOR A GUY THAT CAN GET DOWN THE FIELD IN A HURRY!”    That’s the type of stuff i am sure the Bills were hoping would never get out or occur to other football teams ; imagine , looking at SPEEDY (AS OPPOSED TO THE USUAL SLOW GUYS I GUESS WE LOOKED FOR in prior drafts?) ROOKIE WIDE RECEIVERS!  

Not only speedy but they can get DOWN the field in a HURRY TOO;  so not just fast but they have a sense of urgency, like if someone was chasing them !  This is why the BILLS SCOUTS are playing chess and teams like Miami , CINCY, & KC are playing dominoes,,,or maybe checkers !  Sounds like we are in good hands and ahead of the curve this year.  Wont be seeing the Bills wr’s running merry go round crap like REID AND KC, cuz who got time for that when we are  now looking to get down the field in a hurry!  Sounds like Dorsey has already begun to use all that they ‘learned from this loss” and now it’s about WR’S who are  in a hurry , pressed for time GOING to the private workouts!  Or maybe coming FROM the private workouts, I’m not sure as they weren’t exactly clear about direction, except they will be headed DOWN somewhere in a HURRY; probably tough to get precise clarification when these guys they’re talking about seem to be in a hurry to get going  fast!  

Well, this is a great, comforting start to free agency as now we know we are headed DOWN , FAST, AND IN A HURRY!   I sensed that new direction after the CINCY game. Good to get confirmation from a professional  publication like DRAFT DIAMONDS, and they sure dropped a diamond in the rough with this tweet, a real gem !  This is the type of publication that the subscription price might be going DOWNhill , fast, in a hurry if they keep dropping rare forms  of analysis like this little nugget !    Hey, I’m sure they will get better as they feel the PRESSURE of fast approaching deadlines and keep getting these  deep analytical tweets out rapidly,,,,,,in a hurry,,,with urgency !  Good luck and keep up the hard,,,,work!  😊

I’ve followed the guy for a long time (7+ years maybe?) and chatted with him back when I had Twitter, he’s a small school scout and a Bills fan. His connects are legit as he knows lots of scouts/agents. 

14 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Dorsey needs to make a significant leap in finding a way to utilize the talent provided to him. Fella earlier today was looking at some highlights and said he was reminded of Darren Sproles. (Yes, different position, but the comp doesn't seem a stretch.) That kind of instant energy for the offense would be a welcome addition.

1. First he hast to stay healthy

2. Second he's gotta contribute as a punt return threat.

3. Third he's gotta fill that deep threat plus bubble screen role effectively. 

If he can accomplish these markers and maybe give us 5-6 tds and 600 yards he'll be worth the 3.7 cap hit.  If some of these expectations fail, then yes it's an overpay.  We'll see what chemistry develops with Josh?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Special K said:

I’m sure this was mentioned somewhere in the 29 pages of this thread, but it is possible that he could be a Jamison Crowder replacement.

That's a really good question.

So reportedly (for example, per Taron Johnson who covered Beasley and who covered them both in practice), the thing that Crowder had was that Beasley-like ability to get on the same page with Allen as far as how they read the defense post-snap and to find the gaps or seams in zone coverage whereas McKenzie's thing was "speed, mostly".  Allen is on record saying that McKenzie is really really good at getting open against man, but the Bills don't see all that much man coverage (I'm sure someone here knows the % man we faced last season).  McKenzie is on record as saying he can get open against zone, but evidently he and Allen either aren't on the same page or Allen doesn't trust him to read it the same way or their timing was off or something.  Shakir to my eyes was not reading zone correctly most of the season - he would throw up his "mail flag" when I'd look and say "oh, no, dangerous throw" (this is just what I saw, I didn't see his every snap).

I haven't seen enough of Hardy to even know where he played - I would assume lining up in the slot, because he seems very small to be able to get a free release off the line - much less how he fared against zone vs man coverage.

In his best year, 2021, the Saints were being QB'd by Siemian, Winston, and Taysom Hill and their WR corps did not inspire a lot of fear, I think, so I'm guessing he faced a lot of man, but it's only a guess.

Edited by Beck Water

30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

That was two seasons ago. He played the first 4 games this year and caught 2 passes. So no. 

Ah, I see. Sorry, when you Google him they list 2021 after 2022 on the stats for some reason and his Wikipedia doesn't list 2022 stats at all.

Either way, it appears he went on IR after those couple games so his 2022 campaign was a wash. 2021 was his last actual season. And in that year:

The idea here is to invest in a player they see can become a star. And if that happens, the "overpay" will become a "bargain". If it doesn't, then you took a chance and didn't completely break the bank.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I like that they have gone the potential route vs one last ride route with aging veterans on inflated deals.  You can see where McGovern could be a long term solution at OG.  I can see that Harty could be a dynamic slot and be a weapon down field.  Neither player stops them from drafting a guy but takes a need for an immediate starter.

56 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

DeAndre Hopkins as another #1 WR would be a welcome addition. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ah, I see. Sorry, when you Google him they list 2021 after 2022 on the stats for some reason and his Wikipedia doesn't list 2022 stats at all.

Either way, it appears he went on IR after those couple games so his 2022 campaign was a wash. 2021 was his last actual season. And in that year:

The idea here is to invest in a player they see can become a star. And if that happens, the "overpay" will become a "bargain". If it doesn't, then you took a chance and didn't completely break the bank.

I really hope so. But to me it’s like buying a lotto ticket vs putting in the work. I hope I  wrong. 

We clearly want a fast "inside" receiver that can get open and stress the defense.   We keep searching for it from both RBs like Cook,  McKissic and Hines as well as from small receivers like McKenzie, Crowder and now Harty.  

Hopefully they found it this time.   Some of his highlights sure look good.   I'll take that from a rotational player.  I WANT that from a rotational player.

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Question:  who are "all the other teams that were trying to sign" Hardy?

I agree that not every great player was drafted in the first round.  Math can show this - only about 30% of players drafted in the 1st round become solid NFL players, let alone stars.  And, the observation is that while players who are drafted in the 1st 3 rounds typically show something in their 1st or 2nd year, sometimes guys who are drafted later take longer to succeed, if they're going to.

On the other hand, what are the odds that a guy who played 4 years on his first team, was only available to play for 60% of those games, and has accumulated 793 yds total in 4 yrs becomes a "great player" in his 5th year on his 2nd team?   There's a lot of space between "not every great player was drafted in the 1st round or became stars on their first team" and a guy who's played 4 years as a WR and has yet to break 1000 yds or 80 receptions.

Are there even any examples of a guy in those circs blossoming into a star at WR?

Don't get me wrong, he's a Bill now so I hope like hell this works out.  And it entirely fits Beane's MO of being willing to take a flyer on a high ceiling/low floor guy almost every year, to the tune of $3.5M or so.  But I don't think people can be blamed for some healthy skepticism and concern.

A voice of reason here.

Thanks. 100% logical and spot on here. 

People said the same about Tevon Austin, Beasley, and Smoke. 

It's just optimism without really taking into account the numbers and facts. 

Let's be real here. It's unlikely this guy makes a difference. Of course, I hope he does but past history counts. 

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

A voice of reason here.

Let's be real here. It's unlikely this guy makes a difference. Of course, I hope he does but past history counts. 

I assume you are referring just to the 2022 versions of Brown and Beasley?

• Agree 1

Here is what you don’t get about this signing.  If this is the guy we target and give this money, why did we not just get Toney at the deadline? We had a need so bad we signed guys off the street. He would have helped last year and be cheaper this year and next. A good GM should be thinking a year out not just reacting which seems like the bills always are. 

Edited by ngbills

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

A voice of reason here.

Difference here is that he is 25. He isn't coming here to be a "star". He is bringing something this Bills team is lacking and that is speed. Yes it's a risky signing with his injury history but that's why we have to wait and see what he can provide on the field. For people to already come to the conclusion he will suck here, before he ever even plays a down for the Bills is very ridiculous. Being skeptical is fine but already stamping it as him being bad as fact is not the way to go about it imo.

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Here is what you don’t get about this signing.  If this is the guy we target and give this money, why did we not just get Toney at the deadline? We had a need so bad we signed guys off the street. He would have helped last year and be cheaper this year and next. A good GM should be thinking a year out not just reacting which seems like the bills always are. 

But you sacrifice a draft pick getting Toney.

28 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

A voice of reason here.

To me it's a solid under the radar signing. He doesn't need to be the #1. Just get some YAC and be an easy button pass for Josh. He's got the speed and separation skills to do just that. He's a puzzle piece we need and lacked this past season. No let's get some more OL in the draft and WR2.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.