Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

I just don’t get it.  You want someone running jet sweeps we have McKenzie and for far cheaper.  You want a threat in the return game we have Nyheim Hines and once again for much cheaper.  This just seems like a weird use of resources.

Obviously I could be wrong and maybe he adds something dynamic that I just don’t see but it seems awfully expensive when we could have taken a flier on a 6th round WR at a fraction of the cost and paid for a MLB instead

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Chugga said:

I just don’t get it.  You want someone running jet sweeps we have McKenzie and for far cheaper.  You want a threat in the return game we have Nyheim Hines and once again for much cheaper.  This just seems like a weird use of resources.

Obviously I could be wrong and maybe he adds something dynamic that I just don’t see but it seems awfully expensive when we could have taken a flier on a 6th round WR at a fraction of the cost and paid for a MLB instead

Apparently a bunch of NFL GM's disagree with you. Handful of teams wanted him 

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Apparently a bunch of NFL GM's disagree with you. Handful of teams wanted him 

And I’m sure those handful of teams don’t have McKenzie or Hines.  I’m not knocking his merit as a player I’m wondering where he fits and if it was the optimal signing.  Won’t have an answer for that until kickoff but I guess I’m just surprised by the pickup with the needs of this team.

7 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Based on?

Over 4 seasons played in 40 out of 66 possible games, started only 4, caught all of 64 balls for 793 yards, 8.9 avg and a whole 4 TDs?  That averages out to 10 games per season, 1 start, 1.6 catches and 19.8 per game and 1 TD a year?   

McKenzie, who is 2" taller, over the same time frame played in 61 out of 66 possible games, started 25 of them, caught 119 balls for 1137 yards, 9.6 avg, 11 TDs.   

He's a returner who plays some WR 

He's been brought here to be a wide receiver. He's had 9 fumbles in less than 100 touches. Every one of them came as a returner. He's not going to be playing special teams unless it's an emergency. 

I can only assume they are bringing him in to be a severely poor man’s Tyreek Hill which I can get on board with.

But the skeptic in me is still waiting on the edge of his seat waiting to see the packages we have for Nyheim Hines that sadly never surfaced in 2022.

5 minutes ago, Lothar said:

He's been brought here to be a wide receiver. He's had 9 fumbles in less than 100 touches. Every one of them came as a returner. He's not going to be playing special teams unless it's an emergency. 

Why would they bring in a guy who was a pro bowl and all pro returner to not play special teams but line him up at WR where he hasn't exactly set the world on fire?

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

how is he not? He's 3rd  of WR and 4th overall in yards, had 5 TDs total, caught 65% of his passes (with the drops).  That's a chunk for WR3

IMO, he was supposed to do more or they wanted more out of him.  He was replacing Beasley and was supposed to give us that more athletic slot guy and can get a little more YAC.  That type of production is something that's not totally hard to replace.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

IMO, he was supposed to do more or they wanted more out of him.  He was replacing Beasley and was supposed to give us that more athletic slot guy and can get a little more YAC.  That type of production is something that's not totally hard to replace.

I understand.  But it must be harder than we think, given McD's struggle thus far. 

54 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Why would they bring in a guy who was a pro bowl and all pro returner to not play special teams but line him up at WR where he hasn't exactly set the world on fire?

Because they have vision, 

1 hour ago, Chugga said:

Because you don’t see him the way the bills see him.  As a WR

7 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I was about to post the same thing, granted he is a Pro Bowl return man but even so. Yikes. 

lol those numbers are pretty much peanuts nowadays.  Calm down 

1 hour ago, Chugga said:

Yeah but Harty is a far better player and a million more on the cap isn’t anything 

1 hour ago, Chugga said:

I can only assume they are bringing him in to be a severely poor man’s Tyreek Hill which I can get on board with.

But the skeptic in me is still waiting on the edge of his seat waiting to see the packages we have for Nyheim Hines that sadly never surfaced in 2022.

You can’t say that. 

Board police will put you in cuffs. 

1 hour ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Especially with this Coach.

Hines ended up playing ST immediately and never emerged. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Because he was 3rd on the depth chart. 

We’ll see.

I’m highly skeptical that a 5’6” 170 pounder is going to be a regular starter on this team.

Beane thought he was giving McDermott and Dorsey a weapon in Hines and he touched the ball 11 times on offense.

The Bills just don’t have a track record of getting these types of players involved. McKenzie is a small slot and Allen struggled to get him the ball with any efficiency.

Like others have said, nothing against the player, but I just don’t see how you can rely on him as a real player. He’s never been counted on to really produce as a Top 3 option, and he’s never been counted on to be healthy.

I’ll be surprised if he emerges as more than a bit player for the Bills. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.