Possible McKenzie Replacement Bills sign Deonte Harty (formally Deonte Harris)

MAJBobby

51 minutes ago, NewEra said:

“ we need playmakers”.  “We need speed”. “We need a slot WR”. “Beane neglects offense”. 

Bills sign a playmaking slot WR (that can also make contested catches) with blazing speed:  “why’d we pay him so much?”

🤦🏻‍♂️

I like the signing because we obviously need more legit weapons, but my only question is what's going on with Shakir?  I was hoping this year he was going to take over the slot role.

51 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Well Beane is 1-1 I loved the Connor Mcgivern signing… this one is a head scratcher and serves no purpose at all as Isiah McKenzie is the same exact player 

i cant comprehend why anyone thinks mck is staying after this year? weve seen his ceiling, hes at it. his hands suck, he has no feel for finding soft spots in the defense, we think this guy could break out. are we supposed to never sign a fast slot again because lil dirty didnt pan out?

Just now, Lost said:

How many slot receivers do we need?   McKenzie, Crowder, Shakir, Hines?  This better not be the big move at WR that Beane is making this offseason.

I was perfectly happy handing the slot position over to Shakir full time.   We need WR2

Why are fans doing this?  Crowder is not on the team.  Mckenzie will not make the team.  Hines is a RB/KR.  Shakir plays inside and out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Billz4ever said:

I like the signing because we obviously need more legit weapons, but my only question is what's going on with Shakir?  I was hoping this year he was going to take over the slot role.

I think Shakir can run routes all over the field.  He's quick, has great hands, and could compete for the number 2 slot.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

stop worrying about the contract and concentrate on the player

Ok, so what about his size? Along with JJ Taylor and Boston Scott (I never heard of them, either), Harty is the shortest player in the NFL at 5'6". Even Beasley is 5'8". And at 170 pounds, you can tackle him with two fingers. 

I'm not saying signing him is a bad move, necessarily. But his size makes it a risky one. 

Just now, Lost said:

I thought part of the reason they signed Hines was to utilize him in the slot position on occasion.

on occasion but not all the time. Now with Harty and Shakir maybe not needed as much and can stay a receiving RB...just guessing

1 minute ago, finn said:

Ok, so what about his size? Along with JJ Taylor and Boston Scott (I never heard of them, either), Harty is the shortest player in the NFL at 5'6". Even Beasley is 5'8". And at 170 pounds, you can tackle him with two fingers. 

I'm not saying signing him is a bad move, necessarily. But his size makes it a risky one. 

yep, good points. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

I guess I'll have to trust the scouting department on this one,  but still...yikes. 

You will huh, ... LOL 

I can't believe that this signing is even a discussion.  I don't see how this helps either Beane or McD.  

4 minutes ago, Lost said:

How many slot receivers do we need?   McKenzie, Crowder, Shakir, Hines?  This better not be the big move at WR that Beane is making this offseason.

I was perfectly happy handing the slot position over to Shakir full time.   We need WR2

We need ALL of them! 

But seriously, they’ve talked about improving YAC for a couple of seasons now. This guy is explosive and should help in that area. Lil’Dirty may be gone, Crowder may already be gone (not sure?), and Shakir can still force his way on the field. 

I’m hoping they still make a splash at WR2, but it’s possible they still believe in Davis. 

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

You will huh, ... LOL 

I can't believe that this signing is even a discussion.  I don't see how this helps either Beane or McD.  

Maybe I’m wrong, but if this means McKenzie gets cut … just view this move as replacing 2.5M McKenzie with 3.7M Harty.  

Bills paying an extra 1M for a guy they think could boom in our offense.   McKenzie had his chance and it didn’t exactly work out. 

If they don’t address WR2, then my entire view of this signing changes.  However, I think we will. 

• Agree 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

You will huh, ... LOL 

At the time,  I didn't know anything about him...good or bad.  As I learn more and watch some of his plays with the Saints,  I think this is very likely an upgrade over McKenzie and,  assuming that McKenzie is released,  the net cost isn't much,  about +$1.5M.   

For what it's worth, Saints fans seemed to love this guy when healthy (at least that's what I've seen so far).

I think this actually takes WR off the table for the 1st few rounds, which isn't a bad thing.  Shakir can compete for WR2, and I think they still have some faith Davis can get back to the potential we saw in '21.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.