Is infinity scary?

Royale with Cheese

On 3/16/2023 at 12:34 PM, Gugny said:

Time doesn't exist.  Nor does momentum in sports.

I think a better word for “momentum” is confidence. Confidence is a very real factor. You see a couple shots go down or make a few putts, you can play loose and free. The mind is an amazing thing! 

On 3/15/2023 at 10:14 AM, Jauronimo said:

And the universe is expanding in all directions at once.  But what is it expanding into???

The universe isn't expanding. The matter inside is shrinking. From our view it looks like expansion. 

Eric Wareheim Mind Blown GIF by Tim and Eric

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You know what the scary part is? We know more about the universe than our oceans that are right next to us. 

That's not true. We know a lot less about the mechanisms/forces driving the universe and what all possibly resides out there.

We may not know about everything residing in the dark depths of the ocean, but we know how it works.

6 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That's not true. We know a lot less about the mechanisms/forces driving the universe and what all possibly resides out there.

We may not know about everything residing in the dark depths of the ocean, but we know how it works.

This is what I meant.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/do-we-know-space-better-our-oceans

"Question:

Do we know more about space or about our oceans?

Answer:

Sam got in touch to ask if it's true that we know more about space than we do about our oceans. Chris Smith put this question to ecologist Danni Green from Anglia Ruskin University...

Danni - In short I'd say yes it is. Particularly if you're talking about... understanding the topography and the shape of the oceans. So for example technically we have got 100 percent of the oceans mapped but the resolution is to 5000 metres whereas we've mapped 98 percent of Venus to 100 metres resolution.

Chris - So we do know quite a bit about quite a few places but not necessarily the bottom of the sea. ..."

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

This is what I meant.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/questions/do-we-know-space-better-our-oceans

"Question:

Do we know more about space or about our oceans?

Answer:

Sam got in touch to ask if it's true that we know more about space than we do about our oceans. Chris Smith put this question to ecologist Danni Green from Anglia Ruskin University...

Danni - In short I'd say yes it is. Particularly if you're talking about... understanding the topography and the shape of the oceans. So for example technically we have got 100 percent of the oceans mapped but the resolution is to 5000 metres whereas we've mapped 98 percent of Venus to 100 metres resolution.

Chris - So we do know quite a bit about quite a few places but not necessarily the bottom of the sea. ..."

That's very specific, does not equate to the general statement of "we know more about the universe than our oceans"

13 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

That's very specific, does not equate to the general statement of "we know more about the universe than our oceans"

You're missing the point.

K.I.S.S. The cosmos are rather simple to observe. 

"...Compared to the difficulties with studying the ocean, learning about space is a walk in the park. Humans have been able to study the cosmos since essentially the beginning of time by simply looking up at the stars. The telescope, a quintessential part of astronomy, has been used for studying the night sky since Galileo first pointed it upwards in 1609 (via the Library of Congress).   ..."

Read More:

https://www.grunge.com/841530/do-we-know-more-about-space-than-earths-oceans/

9 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"...Compared to the difficulties with studying the ocean, learning about space is a walk in the park. Humans have been able to study the cosmos since essentially the beginning of time by simply looking up at the stars. The telescope, a quintessential part of astronomy, has been used for studying the night sky since Galileo first pointed it upwards in 1609 (via the Library of Congress).   ..."

Read More:

Wouldn’t methane oceans on planets in other galaxies be part of the cosmos?  How much do we know about them?

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Wouldn’t methane oceans on planets in other galaxies be part of the cosmos?  How much do we know about them?

What? Are you scared too about the statement we know less about our oceans right next to us than a frozen methane ocean a zillion miles away?

And here we thought infinity was scary when people are scared with sh... right next to us! 😏 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Read More:

You know how difficult it is to study whats underneath the ice on the moon's of Jupiter?

It's a dramatic generalisation probably to try to entice people to care more about our oceans, which is not to say it's a foolish mission

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You know how difficult it is to study whats underneath the ice on the moon's of Jupiter?

It's a dramatic generalisation probably to try to entice people to care more about our oceans, which is not to say it's a foolish mission

A walk in the park?

"...Compared to the difficulties with studying the ocean, learning about space is a walk in the park..." 

So there's life on Jupiter like at the bottom of our oceans?

Just like our sun... It's pretty much simpler than right next door in our oceans. We have a better understanding of Venus than the bottom of our oceans.

Infinity isn't scary. Right next to us is. 

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

A walk in the park?

"...Compared to the difficulties with studying the ocean, learning about space is a walk in the park..." 

So there's life on Jupiter like at the bottom of our oceans?

Just like our sun... It's pretty much simpler than right next door in our oceans. We have a better understanding of Venus than the bottom of our oceans.

Infinity isn't scary. Right next to us is. 

The mechanism driving our sun is much more scary than what's in our ocean and no, we don't know exactly how it works/when it'll die/when it will shoot dangerous levels of radiation at us. It's extremely difficult to study that.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

The mechanism driving our sun is much more scary than what's in our ocean and no, we don't know exactly how it works/when it'll die/when it will shoot dangerous levels of radiation at us. It's extremely difficult to study that.

We know when it will die. Long after me. That ain't scary. My death is! Sorta... 😉 

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What? Are you scared too about the statement we know less about our oceans right next to us than a frozen methane ocean a zillion miles away?

And here we thought infinity was scary when people are scared with sh... right next to us! 😏 

I’m not scared about anything, much less your blatantly incorrect statement.  The methane ocean I described may or may not be frozen….it may or may not even exist……therefore we know less about it than we do about our own oceans.  I’m not, nor is anyone else, saying we shouldn’t learn more about the bottom of our oceans.

10 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Pray that's the case. I wish you a painless, noble death.

Was “but no time soon” an oversight, or an intentional omission? You rascal you! You left us wondering!   😋

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Have you heard what’s parked on the ocean floors? It’s a hot topic!  🚀 👽 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.