Is infinity scary?

Royale with Cheese

23 minutes ago, Success said:

Well, since you're asking - I doubt it.  I watch a lot of stuff on Near-Death experiences, which I do believe in.  It sounds like a different level of consciousness, and there really isn't a concept of "time" as we know it.  I think contemplating it from our more "earthly" perspective can be daunting, but I don't think it's along the lines of needing some good books to read to pass the time, or anything like that.

I do too.

That is interesting...time as far as a measurement is a mankind invention or discovery.  This is the only time we know.

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m afraid this loses a little something without the edible. 🤷‍♂️

Here's a simpler aspect of it.

• Like (+1) 1

Not as scary as this....they say space is constantly expanding.  That would mean that there would have to be some sort of end or boundary for it if it is expanding, right?  Well, what the hell is on the other side of that boundary?

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

And the universe is expanding in all directions at once.  But what is it expanding into???

Exactly!

14 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Not as scary as this....they say space is constantly expanding.  That would mean that there would have to be some sort of end or boundary for it if it is expanding, right?  Well, what the hell is on the other side of that boundary?

The movie Event Horizon is a fairly horrific exploration of this idea. Starring Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neill!

Edited by LeviF

21 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Exactly!

Isn't there a theory where the universe is collapsing and expanding at the same time?  

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you were to taking the numbers zero to 1, there is an infinity amount of numbers between them just because you can keep dividing and just keep adding zeros.

If you need something to think about re infinity, you can try to wrap your mind around the concept that there are sets of infinities and some are bigger than others

• Awesome! (+1) 1

The thing that always makes me chuckle a bit is when, after thousands of years of scientific advancement and the invention of the finest investigatory tools the world has ever known, the most cutting edge theories in quantum physics announce something that once again confirms an idea that Buddhism or Vedanta first touted 2,500 years ago.

Renowned physicist X gets up on stage and wows the scientific community with his grand new theory on the unified and non-dual nature of waves or particles, or about infinity and the void, and Rinpoche the monk in a cave in Tibet is like "........yeah, and?"

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

As long as we're talking about weirdness - I just read a book about what I heard is becoming a more accepted theory in science:  nothing really exists.  Everything is just energy, and until we actually observe something, it's not really there.

It makes me feel a little better about the 13 seconds game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Success said:

As long as we're talking about weirdness - I just read a book about what I heard is becoming a more accepted theory in science:  nothing really exists.  Everything is just energy, and until we actually observe something, it's not really there.

It makes me feel a little better about the 13 seconds game.

See the post I just made directly above yours. Buddhism said that ***** about 500 years before Christ was a boy.

But yeah, have you ever seen the movie/documentary "What the Bleep do we know"? If not, check it out. It's pretty much entirely about what you just said. Mind blowing stuff.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

See the post I just made directly above yours. Buddhism said that ***** about 500 years before Christ was a boy.

But yeah, have you ever seen the movie/documentary "What the Bleep do we know"? If not, check it out. It's pretty much entirely about what you just said. Mind blowing stuff.

I think that's the one w/ Marlee Matlin - saw it years ago & remember being a bit mind blown.  Might have to watch that again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I think that's the one w/ Marlee Matlin - saw it years ago & remember being a bit mind blown.  Might have to watch that again.

Yeah, exactly.

The example that most directly blew my mind was that a rainbow literally doesn't exist without an observer. The observer is a necessary variable for the existence of the rainbow. And that's just the esoteric example that the mind can most easily grasp. The same holds true for, say, a basketball. Mind blowing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mark80 said:

Nothing.  This may be an even more difficult concept for us to grasp than infinity. 

29 minutes ago, Success said:

It's the ultimate tree-falls-in-the-forest question.  Not just asking if a sound can be heard, but does the forest even exist if there is no one there to observe it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I'm watching this now.

1 hour ago, coloradobillsfan said:

It's the ultimate tree-falls-in-the-forest question.  Not just asking if a sound can be heard, but does the forest even exist if there is no one there to observe it

Is that how scientists view black holes?

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Is that how scientists view black holes?

Let me put it another way.  We are all familiar with the textbook diagram of an atom.  You have your protons and neutrons in the nucleus, surrounded by electrons spinning around it.  The electrons have no particular position - until and unless someone is there to observe them.  Until then, they only exist in a 'cloud' of probability of where they might be.  I'm grossly oversimplifying this for the sake of brevity, but that's the basic concept. 
Another way of demonstrating this is through the double-slit experiment.  Put simply, subatomic particles fired at these slits will pass simultaneously through two tiny slits, which causes an interference pattern on a wall behind them.  This demonstrates these particles are actually passing through both slits at the same time, and thus are interfering with each other.  But if you put a tiny camera behind the slits to watch exactly what is happening, something remarkable happens.  The interference pattern disappears, and instead we see the particles going through one of the two slits at a time.  The very act of watching the experiment changes how the particles act!  Again, big time oversimplifications here but it shows just how counter-intuitive physics can get. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah, exactly.

The example that most directly blew my mind was that a rainbow literally doesn't exist without an observer. The observer is a necessary variable for the existence of the rainbow. And that's just the esoteric example that the mind can most easily grasp. The same holds true for, say, a basketball. Mind blowing.

Pretty sure thats what Jaden Smith said.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Let me put it another way.  We are all familiar with the textbook diagram of an atom.  You have your protons and neutrons in the nucleus, surrounded by electrons spinning around it.  The electrons have no particular position - until and unless someone is there to observe them.  Until then, they only exist in a 'cloud' of probability of where they might be.  I'm grossly oversimplifying this for the sake of brevity, but that's the basic concept. 
Another way of demonstrating this is through the double-slit experiment.  Put simply, subatomic particles fired at these slits will pass simultaneously through two tiny slits, which causes an interference pattern on a wall behind them.  This demonstrates these particles are actually passing through both slits at the same time, and thus are interfering with each other.  But if you put a tiny camera behind the slits to watch exactly what is happening, something remarkable happens.  The interference pattern disappears, and instead we see the particles going through one of the two slits at a time.  The very act of watching the experiment changes how the particles act!  Again, big time oversimplifications here but it shows just how counter-intuitive physics can get. 

Is there going to be a quiz? 

😋

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.