I hope that Beane makes a big move right when FA is officially open.

Tipster19

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Lavonte David is arguably the best free agent out there left so if we could somehow sign him that would be huge.  Maybe Von Miller can test his potential GM skills and get him here.

The most proven out of the LB’s. Think he has another season of production in him, maybe 2. 

Also believe there’s a couple others out there that can be just as useful for the defense; Anthony Walker or Deion Jones. Denzel Perryman is an interesting one too. 

Would hope they take a look at Devin Bush but I think he either returns to Pittsburgh or heads to Washington. 

If it isn’t Lavonte, who’s your next option?

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Lavonte David is arguably the best free agent out there left so if we could somehow sign him that would be huge.  Maybe Von Miller can test his potential GM skills and get him here.

Doc, while I agree with you as I’ve been up close to David here in Tampa for the last 11 years, he is 33.  It just depends what he’ll accept.  He is a 1st team all pro twice, and a number of pro bowls.

If we did a 2 yr deal, that might work.  He would be an upgrade from Edmunds and I like Edmunds.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I'm guess we see Lavonte David today & a Poyer resigning. Then this evening after dinner we see a block buster trade for a WR say around 7:30 - 8 o'clock 

By "block buster" you mean give up resources, either players or draft picks, which could be counter- productive. I don't expect any trades except maybe Oliver. I might try to send him back to Houston for BOTH of their #3 picks

13 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

By "block buster" you mean give up resources, either players or draft picks, which could be counter- productive. I don't expect any trades except maybe Oliver. I might try to send him back to Houston for BOTH of their #3 picks

With the cap hits down the road and holes to fill in the roster, keeping draft picks and shedding under performing players is essential. Acquiring and/or keeping draft stock is the biggest focal point for building a perennial contender. An Oliver trade would be ideal… No way you’re getting picks #65 AND #73 from any team. 

If Oliver was a fringe All-Pro? Absolutely. Given he’s on his last year without proving to be absolutely essential to a defense that’s status graded well over the past few years makes me, personally, unable to see a team giving up anything more than a late 3 (absolute dream) or a 4th rounder as they’ll want to resign or extend him to competitive deal if he plays well for them. 

#104 is the more likely if they are unwilling to give up that later 3rd. 

Edited by BBFL

2 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I'll be surprised if they go guard in round 1.  It's kind of like RB.  We can (or, put better, should be able to) find guys later (the Saffold failure notwithstanding).  Better roster management probably is to take a tackle and then kick Dawkins into guard if the tackle we find is equal to Dawkins.  Would leave us with a cost-controlled LT and the ability to either trim Dawkins's pay or say adios to what then would be that $15m guard.  

I'm not against drafting for RT in round 1, but I suspect they're going to look at Brown's play last year as a reflection of his health and gamble that one of Brown/Doyle can lock that job down this year.   And, from a long-term roster management perspective, we really need a WR who can start no later than next year.  Davis likely is gone, and the slot play last year speaks for itself. 

A Guard who can play center in the future will be a day 2 pick. There are some decent ones. As far as Davis, when you see guys like the Pats’ Meyer signing for $11M for 3 years it truly makes you wonder what Gabe’s actual value is. I know someone might pay him 16/17 but his worth is well below that right now based on production. 

• Agree 1

I remember the day when we sucked and the best part of the season was the free agency period when we’d overpay to bring in some declining big name player and hope would spring anew

I’m glad those days are gone and we have a GM who swings for the fences from time to time but also doesn’t feel the need to make the fans happy with splash free agency signings right off the bat.

My gut says they are pushing for Wagner to fill the gaping LB hole then we will fill the other holes with mid-range free agent signings before the draft. I don’t expect a big WR trade but wouldn’t mind it.

• Like (+1) 1

The key to winning Free Agency is not the big splash signings.

It's figuring out which cheaper players have untapped potential (such as when we originally signed Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde), and knowing which older veterans still have something left in the tank.  Almost like playing the stock market.  Buy low.  Sell high.

Von Miller made all the headlines last year.  But our best signing (by far) was Daquan Jones.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.