D Hopkins vs Gabe Davis

RocCityRoller

11 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Hopkins was a sub 60% catch guy for 5 years. 3 of those were as WR #1.

And yes, I'd rather have 24 yr old Davis to 31 yr old Hopkins.

It goes beyond that.  You dont have to give up one to get the other.  Would you rather have Diggs/Hopkins/Davis or Diggs/Davis/McKenzie.  Thats the real question.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

A lot of posters here want ancient D Hopkins signed to be WR2, and spend draft capital on this stiff to replace Gabe Davis.

D Hop was a really good WR, but he has not played more than 10 games since 2020.

He hasn't passed 720 yards since 2020. He hasn't passed 8 TD since 2018.

It is 2023.

Last Year:

Hopkins had 717 yards and 3 TD on 96 targets.

Davis had 836 yards and 7 TD on 93 targets.

Davis had +119 yards, +4 TDs  on 3 fewer targets, on a rookie deal.

Many here swear Hopkins should be signed at 10+ million a year and a draft pick though.

How does that make any sense???

It doesn't.

It has also become popular here to knock down Gabe Davis and blame him for the Bills offensive struggles.

Nevermind the sub-par OL play, or that the slot WR position was a mess all season.

Davis and Diggs looked better with a solid slot WR like Beasley.

A lot of TSW wanted Beasley out, and you got your wish.

How did that work out for you?

It didn't.

Beasley type slot WR are available (Berrios/ Ritchie/ draft), but don't point that out here.

Beane missed on Crowder, so Ritchie and Berrios would suck too according to TSW.

Ignore that the OC was new to the position or that the TE and RBs were forgotten for major stretches of the season.

Forget developing Cook, or using Hines.

Go get Ekeler and his 127 targets last year... that is the answer....

Run game? What is that?, we have Allen, chuck it up where a guy looks open.

That was often Davis downfield, as seen by yards per target.

The catch % reflects it, but TSW won't admit it. Much like D Hopkins in his first 5 years.

48/ 836/ 7 TD apparently is bad now for a WR #2.

A lot of teams and fans would love that production from a #2 WR.

That was top 35% WR production in the league for ALL WR.

When looking at all WR with 50+ targets Davis scored top 1/3 in a lot of categories.

But no: 52% catch rate last year = sucks.

It was a bad stat for certain, but how many of those balls were actually catchable?

TSW thinks Gabe Davis stinks. Then again I've recently seen TSW attack Tre White recently too.

So replace Davis with D Hopkins huh?

A WR that did less with more opportunities, costs more and is ancient?

Smart team building there.

Maybe we should chill out a bit as fans.

Did you know Deandre Hopkins never had a catch % higher than 60% for his first 5 seasons?!

Hopkins catch % was 57.1%/ 59.8%/ 57.8%/ 51.7%/ 55.2% over his first 5 seasons.

Gabe Davis is 56.5%/ 55.6%/ 52.6% as a #2, but he 'stinks'.

It took 4 seasons as WR #1 for Hopkins to exceed 60% catch %

but WR don't improve their catch % per TSW.

Many here think Buffalo should trade for an older version of the guy we already have, is less productive, and costs more

Brilliant.

Hopkins missed the first 6 games last year. Just stop with this

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

A lot of posters here want ancient D Hopkins signed to be WR2, and spend draft capital on this stiff to replace Gabe Davis.

D Hop was a really good WR, but he has not played more than 10 games since 2020.

It is 2023.

Last Year:

Many here swear Hopkins should be signed at 10+ million a year and a draft pick though.

It doesn't.

It has also become popular here to knock down Gabe Davis and blame him for the Bills offensive struggles.

Nevermind the sub-par OL play, or that the slot WR position was a mess all season.

It didn't.

Beasley type slot WR are available (Berrios/ Ritchie/ draft), but don't point that out here.

Beane missed on Crowder, so Ritchie and Berrios would suck too according to TSW.

Ignore that the OC was new to the position or that the TE and RBs were forgotten for major stretches of the season.

The catch % reflects it, but TSW won't admit it. Much like D Hopkins in his first 5 years.

When looking at all WR with 50+ targets Davis scored top 1/3 in a lot of categories.

It was a bad stat for certain, but how many of those balls were actually catchable?

TSW thinks Gabe Davis stinks. Then again I've recently seen TSW attack Tre White recently too.

Did you know Deandre Hopkins never had a catch % higher than 60% for his first 5 seasons?!

Many here think Buffalo should trade for an older version of the guy we already have, is less productive, and costs more

Brilliant.

It's funny cause I listen to WFAN almost daily on my drive from NYC to Jersey and Giants fans swear they're getting Davis and love him, including the hosts

I always felt this board was wayyy too hard on Gabe but I also fell into that trap when reading his catch % , especially when compared to Diggs 

This is a great comparison.  I'd still be open to adding a 1a type WR but Davis is an extremely nice weapon to have regardless and I'd be content with him as WR2 

Edited by JerseyBills

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You can’t be serious with this post.  Come on lol.  

PS:  You immediately lost credibility of your post out the gate when you talked about games played since 2020 to imply he has injury issues.  He has had ONE injury in his whole career were heisted more than 1 game, and that was 2021.  His suspension to cost him games this year was related to his recovery the for that injury.  He does NOT have reliability issues.  

And the funniest part is that you compared a whole season for Davis to half a season to Hopkins, yet Hopkins put up nearly the same totals in half the time despite Davis playing on the most pass happy offense in the league with a top 2 QB.  Hopkins played with a lesser Murray and scrub backups.

And you calling Hopkins ancient is hilarious when I guess that makes Diggs ancient too since he is only 6 months older than Diggs.

No disrespect, but man this is white honestly just an all around terrible assessment and comparison.  

Hopkins is a top 5 WR in the NFL, Davis isn’t even a top 5 WR in his 4 team division.  

Bills need a contingency plan for Diggs.

Diggs is angry because he joined the Bills to make a championship run.

Since his first year here he went from AFC Championshiop game, to 13 second loss to KC in the divisional round, to a blow out loss in the divisional round to Cincy. Going backwards, not forwards.

Now he is angry as retirement approaches. I don't blame him.

I would be concerned too as I reach 30 as an NFL player.

Edited by RocCityRoller

5 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Typical TSW troll

Hopkins is 30 turning 31 this season

Davis is 23 turning 24 this season

have fun with your AARP team

DeAndre Hopkins is an awesome player.

Davante Adams is around 30 and had a huge year for the Raiders.

Diggs is going to be 30 this season.

You love to shove Beasley in fans face, when did he arrive in Buffalo? 30. 

I just think the Bills need to make a strong push while Diggs is still elite. 

14 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Just stop, you are talking about a first ballot HOF player, one of the very best in the game for the last decade vs a below average #2.

And it took him 6 years to be an above 50% catch WR

Think about that.

14 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

Sub 60% with Skelton and the rest of the scrubs throwing him the ball? 

I get it he's older, but disrespecting his game is ridiculous. 

Davis is no where near his level, even with Davis being 7 years younger he probably isn't as good as Dhop. 

DHOP took 6 years to exceed 59% catch rate.

Perhaps you minimize what Davis is doing.

3 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Since his first year here he went from AFC Championshiop game, to 13 second loss to KC in the divisional round, to a blow out loss in the divisional round to Cincy. Going backwards, not forwards.

Now he is angry as retirement approaches. I don't blame him.

None of this addresses what I said in my post to you.  

No disrespect, but I’d abandon this take, it’s not gonna go where you want it too because it’s so ridiculous.  Davis couldn’t hold Hopkins jock right now.  Davis is not remotely close to the level of player Hopkins is today still.  And he is not ancient, he is only 6 months older than Diggs.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

Since his first year here he went from AFC Championshiop game, to 13 second loss to KC in the divisional round, to a blow out loss in the divisional round to Cincy.

Going backwards, not forwards.

I agree they need a plan. Not sure Davis is it and obviously Dhop isn't it due to age.

I just don't get why trashing Dhop has to be part of the discussion. 

Bills need to keep Davis and sign Dhop honestly. Draft an athletic big body reciever to develop as well.

The WR room is bleak, need reinforcements and some that can play now is helpful. 

FYI, I don't see us signing/trading for Dhop, cost is too high. But he is still an excellent wideout.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You can’t be serious with this post.  Come on lol.  

PS:  You immediately lost credibility of your post out the gate when you talked about games played since 2020 to imply he has injury issues.  He has had ONE injury in his whole career were missed more than 1 game, and that was 2021.  He only missed a total of 2 games the rest of his career.  His suspension that cost him games this year was related to his recovery for that injury in 2021.  He does NOT have reliability issues.  

And the funniest part is that you compared a whole season for Davis to half a season to Hopkins, yet Hopkins put up nearly the same totals in half the time despite Davis playing on the most pass happy offense in the league with a top 2 QB.  Hopkins played with a lesser Murray and scrub backups.

And you calling Hopkins ancient is hilarious when I guess that makes Diggs ancient too since he is only 6 months older than Diggs.

No disrespect, but man this is quite honestly just an all around terrible thread, assessment and comparison.  You’d be much better off deleting it than letting more people read this TBH.

Hopkins is a top 5 WR in the NFL, Davis isn’t even a top 5 WR in his 4 team division.  

Davante Adams

Cooper Kupp

Justin Jefferson

Ja'Marr Chase

Deebo Samuel

Nope not top 5, setting aside his 20 million cap hit he is on the decline which puts him out of our discussion wholly and completely.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

And it took him 6 years to be an above 50% catch WR

Think about that.

DHOP took 6 years to exceed 59% catch rate.

Perhaps you minimize what Davis is doing.

Put Josh Allen against any QB Dhop has ever played with. Watson is the only thing close, and he got there in year 5.

It's not like this is hard to see. I guarantee Dhop doesn't drop that ball to lose to the Jets that hit Davis in the hands/chest.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

what? I’m a troll because I like Hopkins???

Nothing personal my friend, but I am looking at recent production.

Oh and Davis is much cheaper.

And Dhop didn't exceed 60% catch stats until year 5.

Davis is entering year 4.

I'll give Davis the room to improve.

25 minutes ago, arcane said:

Davis is severely limited in the routes he runs, and the ones he's good at take forever to develop, which is part of why Allen's stats are so bad/throws to Davis are so off compared to other WRs. Hopkins is exponentially more well-rounded than Gabe, even if he hasn't stayed on the field for various reasons and is older etc. 

He had those numbers in half the games played of Gabe, on a dreadful offense with a dreadful qb who was hurt anyway

I don't even want to trade for Hopkins but this is a misleading comparison at absolute best

And yet Davis had more Yards and TDs than Hopkins on almost the same number of targets,,,,

How did that happen?

• Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

It is 2023.

Last Year:

It doesn't.

It didn't.

Brilliant.

This is so wrong and so bad. Yikes

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills! said:

Anyone going to mention DHop was suspended almost half the season and playing with Kyler Murray vs Josh Allen?

I believe Badol did, and now Dhop has to be monitored for PEDS which also may effect his play moving forward.

8 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Davis is a WR4. But he shouldn’t be upgraded with Hopkins for several previously mentioned reasons.

wr3

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

It goes beyond that.  You dont have to give up one to get the other.  Would you rather have Diggs/Hopkins/Davis or Diggs/Davis/McKenzie.  Thats the real question.

There are so many options between those options. How about Diggs/Davis/ Ritchie-Barrios.

Or Diggs/ Renfrow/ Davis? or Diggs/ Davis/ Davis? So many options.

I'm open minded to a lot of possibilities. I just don't see D Hop or OBJ in those plans.

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

It's funny cause I listen to WFAN almost daily on my drive from NYC to Jersey and Giants fans swear they're getting Davis and love him, including the hosts

Yeah, fans of untalented teams tend to fall in love with mediocre players that they believe to be attainable. Mediocrity is an oasis when you watch your team struggle to field remotely competitive teams for years on end. Bills fans suffered from that complex for 20 years.

A related but different complex is fans falling in love with mediocre players on their own team, as demonstrated by this thread.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.