Lil dirty update - McKenzie released

Reed83HOF

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I'm hoping Shakir steps up, but I'm not counting on it.

To me, it's less about a known commodity.  It truly is a missing element on this offense.  We just signed Harty, who is very good at RAC (but not a starter).  

Cut McKenzie, Crowder contract expired, Beas was brought out of semi-retirement, and that leaves Shakir.

Defenses can easily bracket Diggs/Davis, we "need" a slot.  We shall see come draft day, but our short passing game is predicated on this 

We will definitely need a slot if your predictions of Shakir and Harty not being able to handle it are true. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Hate is a strong word. Exasperation might be more apt. He stepped up in a couple of games in the past few years and he’s got a boisterous personality. That’s nowhere enough to keep him around.

IMO, he single-handedly lost us the @Miami game this past season. Josh got him the ball at what, the 30 or so with the seconds ticking down. McK decides to juke / dance at the CB for 2-3 more yards rather than try to go out of bounds or just hit the turf and give up the tackle in exchange for what was about 4-5 seconds. We tried to line up for another snap, time JUST ran out before the snap, and Ken Dorsey became a meme throwing his stuff around in the booth in a rage. They didn’t say anything in the presser or anything, but McK cost us a FG attempt to win it (we lost 21-19) that is very makable for Bass. I don’t remember him owning up to it and I don’t think he saw his juking in that moment as a / the problem. Situational awareness just isn’t there.

Via con dios, Isaiah.

I think everything your write is 100% accurate, right down to the Ken Dorsey meme comment (har har).  

McKenzie also cost us the game 2 years ago versus the cults, he wasn't even touched, dropped the kickoff and the colts got it to our 1 yards line.  That play started a massive momentum move for the Colts we never recovered.

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I didn't say they didn't have an elite TEAM. But they have glaring weaknesses. You'd take their LBs and secondary over the Bills? And Diggs is better than any of their WRs. They loss Hill yet still won the Superbowl. You said the Bills WRs are not "championship caliber".  I disagreed and your answer doesn't say otherwise. They have huge strengths (and schemes/gameplans are a huge one!) yet they have weaknesses as well.

Fair enough.  Your point is valid in context.  

Id argue they had more options 1-5 (1–4 after Hardman got hurt) than we did, and when discussing WR’s I’m factoring in TE play, so Kelce and Knox.  

However, yes, I do feel we have a much better defense than KC heading into next year… but they still have the edge, by a lot, on the OL and at TE … and are still good enough (given they're elite at OL/TE) in their WR room with MVS, Toney, Moore that I’m sure they’ll add to. 

Diggs is proven.  Knox & Davis we’re still kind of hoping.  Shakir & Harty are unknowns.  

That’s a lot of uncertainty at weaponry for Allen. Especially when we’re not really loaded anywhere on Offense.  It’s middle of the pack units (until proven otherwise) everywhere … RB, OL, TE, WR. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Hate is a strong word. Exasperation might be more apt. He stepped up in a couple of games in the past few years and he’s got a boisterous personality. That’s nowhere enough to keep him around.

IMO, he single-handedly lost us the @Miami game this past season. Josh got him the ball at what, the 30 or so with the seconds ticking down. McK decides to juke / dance at the CB for 2-3 more yards rather than try to go out of bounds or just hit the turf and give up the tackle in exchange for what was about 4-5 seconds. We tried to line up for another snap, time JUST ran out before the snap, and Ken Dorsey became a meme throwing his stuff around in the booth in a rage. They didn’t say anything in the presser or anything, but McK cost us a FG attempt to win it (we lost 21-19) that is very makable for Bass. I don’t remember him owning up to it and I don’t think he saw his juking in that moment as a / the problem. Situational awareness just isn’t there.

Via con dios, Isaiah.

Plus, one of the reasons Josh caught flak for being a red zone turnover machine was hitting McK in the chest with a pass only for it to become an INT.  I love him and am sad to see him go, but he developed a slight habit of failing in the clutch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

Plus, one of the reasons Josh caught flak for being a red zone turnover machine was hitting McK in the chest with a pass only for it to become an INT.  I love him and am sad to see him go, but he developed a slight habit of failing in the clutch.

Oh I forgot all about that one, which at the time was a killer.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But if we’re looking for a slot guy we don’t need to spend a 1st. That’s the point.

We need a guy who can make this offense better, gives Diggs and Gabe less bracket coverage (especially Stefon).

I'd call that pretty valuable, and we struggled very badly with our short passing game at the end of LY, that we brought Bease out of retirement.  

Downs and Flowers both give that ability, mainly by projecting as top-end slot options.  But they aren't relegated to that role, just what will improve our offense the most...IMO.

Drafting another Shakir in the mid rounds does nothing IMO.  He doesn't threaten a defense, change how teams defend us.

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

We need a guy who can make this offense better, gives Diggs and Gabe less bracket coverage (especially Stefon).

I'd call that pretty valuable, and we struggled very badly with our short passing game at the end of LY, that we brought Bease out of retirement.  

Downs and Flowers both give that ability, mainly by projecting as top-end slot options.  But they aren't relegated to that role, just what will improve our offense the most...IMO.

Drafting another Shakir in the mid rounds does nothing IMO.  He doesn't threaten a defense, change how teams defend us.

More consistent offense. Hard to improve an offense that produces like ours. 

We were inconsistent in games. More individual play makers should help but I wouldn’t expect that out this draft at pick 27.

56 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

What was the game when he without getting touched  just dropped the ball on a return which turned the momentum 100% in the game and we ended up getting beat?

Probably the home loss to Indianapolis on 11/21/21.  Bills defense made a stop late in the 2nd quarter and Indy kicked a FG to make it 17-7.  McKenzie fumbled the ensuing KO back to the Colts who scored a couple players later to go into the half up 24-7.  Buffalo lost 41-15. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.