Lil dirty update - McKenzie released

Reed83HOF

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t see my as a fit. They have wandale robinson, parris Campbell and Hodgins. All three are best in the slot- their other WR is Sterling IRpard.  Maybe Daboll loves him that much that he’ll add a 4th midget WR, but I think he can be used better on other teams

That's a good point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If you listen closely to what Beane says, they have "receiver roles." Right or wrong, it's what he says. 

Diggs is 1 - outside

Davis is 2- outside

Shakir is 3 (this is designated for their slot position)

Harty is 4 (He said specifically that what they look for in a 4 is a guy who plays inside and out. I think Harty gets more snaps than Shakir, but he is the "4" role...imo this was like Emmanuel Sanders' role for a bit)

Their 5 is a receiver who is also a gunner. This has been Jake Kumerow since 2021. Before it was Andre Holmes, Brandon Tate, Damari Scott. If they don't bring back Kumerow, Mack Hollins or Justin Watson makes sense to me. Can play outside as well

The 6 is the depth guy who probably doesn't dress on game day. 

So essentially, imo, any addition going forward is either taking Davis' or Shakir's job. 

This structure, right or wrong, is why Isaiah Hodgins is gone. They didn't think he was better than the slots we had, and he couldn't play outside or on special teams. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

It's understandable as a football decision, but sorry to see him go. One of my favorite stories about the connection between the Bills and its fans is the one about him tweeting about dinner on Xmas eve 2021, then being invited into a home by a fan, and he went. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Conflicted on this and not because of the personality. He had some gaffes and Harty made him redundant so I get it, but he was still valuable, productive, and added some variety to the offense. I really hope this is not the case of coaches’ inability to get the best out of him resulting in a release. Just can’t help but think if that 11 catch, 125 yard, 1 TD game against NE* and wonder if we should have been utilizing his skill set more.

Seemed like an outlier game.

Coaches can’t teach hand skills.

We need guys who are consistent 

6 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Conflicted on this and not because of the personality. He had some gaffes and Harty made him redundant so I get it, but he was still valuable, productive, and added some variety to the offense. I really hope this is not the case of coaches’ inability to get the best out of him resulting in a release. Just can’t help but think if that 11 catch, 125 yard, 1 TD game against NE* and wonder if we should have been utilizing his skill set more.

No doubt.  One off games by receivers/returners have to be treated exactly that, one off.  Microcosm of McKenzie's career here, incredibly exciting one game, fraught with peril the next.  

Look at the raging post season success Gabe Davis had two years ago and what he did this year?

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

If we’re simply sticking with Diggs-Davis-Shakir-Harty, then yea.. I might agree.. why not keep McKenzie as WR5. 

But that’s not a Championship caliber WR room, imo, and I hope this signals that - at the very least - Shakir and Harty are getting bumped down a slot in the WR room pecking order.  

If that’s the case, McKenzie not playing ST’s, at a 2.5M cap hit, doesn’t make a ton of sense as WR6. 

Yep, and I do get the numbers game and allocation of money to the position. That’s why I’m conflicted and not full stop against the move. 

But I think I’d prefer: (A) Diggs as “WR1”, rotating Davis/Round 1 or 2 Draft Pick as “WR2”, and rotating Shakir/Harty/McKenzie as “WR3” similar to the keeping legs fresh on the DL theory; and (B) ST contribution from a different, defensive, position or positions. 

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we’re simply sticking with Diggs-Davis-Shakir-Harty, then yea.. I might agree.. why not keep McKenzie as WR5. 

But that’s not a Championship caliber WR room, imo, and I hope this signals that - at the very least - Shakir and Harty are getting bumped down a slot in the WR room pecking order.  

If that’s the case, McKenzie not playing ST’s, at a 2.5M cap hit, doesn’t make a ton of sense as WR6. 

I'm hoping there's one more WR joining the WR room - someone who can at least push Davis for #2.  

And, yep, that means McK isn't coming back to the Bills.  

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If you listen closely to what Beane says, they have "receiver roles." Right or wrong, it's what he says. 

Diggs is 1 - outside

Davis is 2- outside

Shakir is 3 (this is designated for their slot position)

Harty is 4 (He said specifically that what they look for in a 4 is a guy who plays inside and out. I think Harty gets more snaps than Shakir, but he is the "4" role...imo this was like Emmanuel Sanders' role for a bit)

Their 5 is a receiver who is also a gunner. This has been Jake Kumerow since 2021. Before it was Andre Holmes, Brandon Tate, Damari Scott. If they don't bring back Kumerow, Mack Hollins or Justin Watson makes sense to me. Can play outside as well

The 6 is the depth guy who probably doesn't dress on game day. 

So essentially, imo, any addition going forward is either taking Davis' or Shakir's job. 

This structure, right or wrong, is why Isaiah Hodgins is gone. They didn't think he was better than the slots we had, and he couldn't play outside or on special teams. 

He played outside for the Giants just fine

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I see the rookie WR being an outside guy who will replace Davis next year.  As the primary outside depth guy, he can get a lot of snaps.

Spelling Diggs and Davis alone probably gives him 30%.

I agree.  He’ll replace him next year. 

Harty is also going to be getting some snaps outside as well.  Which is why I put the rookie down some. 

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Looks like a mediocre WR room.

It's a good mix of styles.  Give Josh a moment more before he has to move with a better OL and give Knox more true routes,

they could tear it up.

I know everyone has their own opinions, but this is what I hoped for.  

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think it’ll be 

Diggs

Davis

Harty

Shakir

WR drafted rds 1-3.

this WR class isn’t very good and the guys that we’ll be selecting will have a hard time beating out gabe. Maybe they’ll slot in over shakir, but they plan to utilize Harty.  Mcdermotts reluctance to give big minutes to draft picks also factors in imo

A clear missing piece for us right now is a reliable slot, with RAC ability.  Draft actually has a decent value for this.  Zay Flowers or Downs would be instant upgrades.

I like Shakir, but he's not a difference maker, like the guys above.  Good backup, #4/5 type.

Draft a G in the 2nd.  Sign a backup RT.  This offense quickly resets and improves weaknesses from last yr.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Might go down as the clumsiest athlete ever to earn several million dollars. An inspiration to millions of teenagers tripping over their own feet.

I gave a angry face because you may be right and I hate agreeing. I still stand by my comment above that he needs to be used correctly. Wishing him nothing but the best. 

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

There could not be a more fitting end to perfectly encapsulate McKenzie's time here, than him popping off on twitter for Beane to "do something" immediately followed by Beane signing his replacement and cutting him. 🤣 All the best to Lil Dirty.

Love the guy but this is completely true.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

A clear missing piece for us right now is a reliable slot, with RAC ability.  Draft actually has a decent value for this.  Zay Flowers or Downs would be instant upgrades.

I like Shakir, but he's not a difference maker, like the guys above.  Good backup, #4/5 type.

Draft a G in the 2nd.  Sign a backup RT.  This offense quickly resets and improves weaknesses from last yr.

I don’t necessarily think it’s a “missing piece” as much as it is having a “known commodity”.

Shakir was drafted partly due to his RAC ability.  Harty is one of the best RAC guys in the league.  While it’s unknown if shakir can be a successful slot in the nfl or whether Harty can stay healthy, we have two slot WRs that specialize in RAC.  So I don’t think it’s a missing piece, but more of an unknown.  

I was a huge shakir fan prior to drafting him and thought he was worthy of a 2/3rd rd pick.  So maybe I’m biased

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.