Lil dirty update - McKenzie released

Reed83HOF

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

McKenzie had 0 fumbles last season.  Gabe and Knox had more drops.  McKenzie had 30 first downs, Gabe 35, and Knox 24.  Yet somehow, TBD wants to run him out of town on a rail.  I still don't get the hate.

It's the lack of production, the lack of getting open, and there were some mistakes (like a poster listed above) that caused him to end up in the doghouse and be a healthy scratch in our last game and a couple other times down the stretch.

If McKenzie was performing well, we would have never brought Cole Beasley back and given him reps that should have went to McKenzie.

It isn't "hate" so much as it's a business. We just signed Deonte Hardy who the team views as an upgrade and Khalil Shakir is ready to step up. Those two aren't going anywhere and there's no need to have 3 Slot WR's on one team.

Combine that with the fact that McKenzie would clear 2.5 million on the salary cap and it's really a no brainier.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

McKenzie had 0 fumbles last season.  Gabe and Knox had more drops.  McKenzie had 30 first downs, Gabe 35, and Knox 24.  Yet somehow, TBD wants to run him out of town on a rail.  I still don't get the hate.

How much interest he garners when released will finally give us all the answer we seek. I never liked his game, but he was a factor at times. Expiration date is here. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

How much interest he garners when released will finally give us all the answer we seek. I never liked his game, but he was a factor at times. Expiration date is here. 

There wasn't any real interest last offseason coming off a much better year, including that miracle game he had against the Patriots. 

I'm sure he'll get a gig to compete with somebody in Training Camp somewhere. But I'd be shocked if he garnered much interest.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

There wasn't any real interest last offseason coming off a much better year, including that miracle game he had against the Patriots. 

I'm sure he'll get a gig to compete with somebody in Training Camp somewhere. But I'd be shocked if he garnered much interest.

That is always telling to me. When we release a guy some fans truly value and fall in love with and it’s crickets on the open market. That’s the cold hard truth right there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

It's the lack of production, the lack of getting open, and there were some mistakes (like a poster listed above) that caused him to end up in the doghouse and be a healthy scratch in our last game and a couple other times down the stretch.

If McKenzie was performing well, we would have never brought Cole Beasley back and given him reps that should have went to McKenzie.

It isn't "hate" so much as it's a business. We just signed Deonte Hardy who the team views as an upgrade and Khalil Shakir is ready to step up. Those two aren't going anywhere and there's no need to have 3 Slot WR's on one team.

Combine that with the fact that McKenzie would clear 2.5 million on the salary cap and it's really a no brainier.

This.  He seems like a really nice guy.  There’s no hate here for him, or for any other human here.  It’s just that he’s prone to mistakes.  The Indy fumble, not getting OB in Miami, the drops late in the season this year (as a STH, I can tell you the body language from some of the other receivers was bad following a couple of his drops, which might not have been caught on TV).  He’s just not a serious guy, and he’s been great to have here and I wish him well but it’s time to get a little tougher and sharper all around and his mistaken-prone play probably should not be part of the program moving forward. 

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

That is always telling to me. When we release a guy some fans truly value and fall in love with and it’s crickets on the open market. That’s the cold hard truth right there. 

Same thing with Singletary.  Great teammate.  Great dude.  Probably could have benefitted from better blocking.  But not much of a market for this guy.   I think McKenzie probably sees the same thing if he hits the market.  Best bet for McKenzie might be to negotiate away the bonus so that he has a shot to stick based on his camp. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

"Too much duplicate" is exactly what I was thinking. There's absolutely no need to have 3 slot WR's. To me, it's obvious. Cut McKenzie and save 2.5 million. We need all the help we can get right now and Harty/Shakir have that position covered.

If history is any predictor then Harty will be in the rehab room, so hopefully Shakir has it covered.

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

"Too much duplicate" is exactly what I was thinking. There's absolutely no need to have 3 slot WR's. To me, it's obvious. Cut McKenzie and save 2.5 million. We need all the help we can get right now and Harty/Shakir have that position covered.

Yea when Beane said that I didn’t feel like it was a great endorsement for McKenzie

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

If history is any predictor then Harty will be in the rehab room, so hopefully Shakir has it covered.

I’ll give you $10 to say something positive about this team lol

• Reed83HOF changed the title to Lil dirty updated - now released
  • Simon changed the title to Lil dirty update - McKenzie released

Loved him as a person and locker room guy and will always remember that Patriots game.

A few unforgivable dropped passes, a few unforgivable dropped returns, and just not enough of a consistent impact.

We're all rooting for him and hoping for the best, but this move made a lot of sense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.