Bills re-sign Tyrel Dodson

Chandler#81

22 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

We better not be. I won’t be shocked if they bring in Wagner fairly cheap. There’s still Safety WR and Oline that need to be filled. The rest of the Afc east is getting better. We better be doing the same

They need a reset year. Jets and Dolphins are staying aggressive and it's not realistic the Bills keep pace given the roster and cap situation. A step back this year in hopes they're a contender again 2024. The 3-year window is closed.

Still need starters at RB, WR, preferably both G and OT, Edge, MLB, and S. It ain't happening.

• Agree 1

Bills need to get on the stick, and quick. Good players are falling off the FA list hourly. Bernard looks like another wasted pick. I think for continuity, Bills should take a serious look at keeping Poyer! Bills can't lose both TE and JP and think their going to be the same or better. As of right now, the Bills are 3rd in the AFC East.. On merit..   

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

His draft status is totally irrelevant.

Yes and no.  Like it or not a 3rd round pick is going to get more chances to make the roster than a third day pick or UDFA.  It has no relevance on whether or not he will succeed but it does on the opportunities he will be given by the regime that drafted him so high. 

Who is to say if Bernard will develop or not?  Sample size is too small, but so is he to play in the NFL.  Ha see what I did there?  Would be great if he can turn into a playmaker. Even if he gives Milano a few reps of rest during the game or plays the big-nickel or rare 4-3 OLB, he may be valuable.  His role in the defense in OTA's and training camp will be an interesting watch. 

19 minutes ago, Airseven said:

They need a reset year. Jets and Dolphins are staying aggressive and it's not realistic the Bills keep pace given the roster and cap situation. A step back this year in hopes they're a contender again 2024. The 3-year window is closed.

Still need starters at RB, WR, preferably both G and OT, Edge, MLB, and S. It ain't happening.

Dam that is bleak even for some of us contrarians.  

Let's take each listed spot

RB - dime a dozen.  They have Cook and Hines already. They may yet get a Williams but honestly a 3rd day RB in the draft would be fine. Cook already took the starting role down the stretch.  Hell Singletary market may be so dry he might even be an option to come back.

WR - no argument there. They need another WR to go with Diggs and Davis. I'm higher on Davis than most but not as high on Shakir as most. I've been a huge Knox for for years.  He should be the true #2 target but that may take a new OC. 

G - already signed a Saffold replacement that should be better in pass protection. Move Bates to LG and the interior OL is already better than 2022 on paper.  Draft a C/G in top 3 rounds

OT - Again no argument. They need a young OT to develop.  Brown is a huge question mark and Dawkins regressed last year.  I see OT in the first two rounds for sure.

Edge - Nope. Rousseau is good and Miller will be back.  They probably dumpster dive for a 4th DE to compete with Basham and Epenesa for the last DL spot.

MLB - Wagner is your answer.

S - Hyde is coming back from an injury he should be fully ready to go.  Hamlin may yet play again. Benford will move to safety despite what McD is saying now. He is just saying Benford at CB while Poyer coming back is still a possibility. Once/If Poyer is gone Benford will be at Safety in the OTA's.

It looks like a lot - but really it is WR, OT, and C/G with the first three picks, maybe one splash FA and a few cheap free agents.  This could change if they get a WR in FA or via trade but no matter where a WR comes from they will add someone to compete with Davis.  

• Like (+1) 3

It’s far more likely that relying on:

Cook, Hines, 5th/6th-rd pick at RB;

McGovern and Bates at IOL;

33-yr old Miller coming off knee surgery and not available until November;

33-yr old replacement for Edmunds; and

Hamlin/Benford at S…

won’t move the needle in areas where this Bills team desperately needs to improve. Wishful thinking can be fun I guess, but if this is the plan, then it’s most certainly a reset year.

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I believe this is a special teams signing.  I sure hope it is….Dodson was not very good anytime he needed to play meaningful snaps during the regular season.  

Yet the Bills won the 4 games or so that he started in place of Edmunds.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I believe this is a special teams signing.  I sure hope it is….Dodson was not very good anytime he needed to play meaningful snaps during the regular season.  

I saw a scrambling Brisset of all people completely break Dodson's ankles with a non-move in the open field. 

9 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Well for sure we didn't win because he started in place of Edmunds.

I agree.  Still we didn't lose because he started in place of Edmunds.  Seriously, we either need to sign someone or draft someone.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Yes and no.  Like it or not a 3rd round pick is going to get more chances to make the roster than a third day pick or UDFA.  It has no relevance on whether or not he will succeed but it does on the opportunities he will be given by the regime that drafted him so high. 

Who is to say if Bernard will develop or not?  Sample size is too small, but so is he to play in the NFL.  Ha see what I did there?  Would be great if he can turn into a playmaker. Even if he gives Milano a few reps of rest during the game or plays the big-nickel or rare 4-3 OLB, he may be valuable.  His role in the defense in OTA's and training camp will be an interesting watch. 

Converted to safety?  Basically the same size as Coy Wire.

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

In many ways cap gets worse the next two years. Allen and Miller are actually cheap this year but more the next two. 

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

Yet the Bills won the 4 games or so that he started in place of Edmunds.

We barely beat CLE and DET…

• Sad 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.