Backup QB Options?

boyst

2 hours ago, mannc said:

I must have missed the game(s) this past season where Case Keenum was “awful”.  Please elaborate. 

preseason games he was not good. Terrible even, throwing int's. The two reg season games he completed just a couple for about 1.5 yards per completion. 

count yourself lucky you missed it. 

3 minutes ago, BruceSlayne said:

Bring in the Mighty Minsh 🙏🙏

The only issue I'd have with Moustache is that he isn't as mobile as Josh is, that's why a guy like Mariota is intriguing yet I don't like that he gave up on his team when he lost the starting job in Atlanta. 

7 minutes ago, cba fan said:

preseason games he was not good. Terrible even, throwing int's. The two reg season games he completed just a couple for about 1.5 yards per completion. 

count yourself lucky you missed it. 

OP was talking about Trubisky...as to Keenum, he's been in the league ten years.  I don't think he can or should be written off based on a quarter or two of preseason football and a handful of garbage time snaps in a regular season blowout.   

• Like (+1) 1

If the Buffalo Bills would have signed Geno Smith as a backup in 2021 for $1.2M the vast majority of this board would have mocked OBD.

What is showed to me is that a "bad" starter who has been in the league for some time can play good football.

Rookies can be a "diamond in the rough" but I would rather have a guy who has started a number of games earlier in his career and

now is willing to take the backup role for very reasonable money.  Having that guy in your system and playing year after year in preseason

games and at camp and practice only makes sense to me.  Consistency with the backup will benefit everyone over changing them year

after year.

The Bills don't need an "older" mentor for Josh.  Actually, they need a guy similar in age for JA to work with.  An ideal guy would be someone

who would play with similar traits as Josh.  Drew Lock, Kyle Allen and there are others, should work out nicely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Probably can't play anymore but I could see him as a QB coach to start and then an OC down the line.

Fitzpatrick has had plenty of time for his hip to heal.  Playing as backup to Josh Allen its unlikely Fitz even plays with the exception of mop up IMO.  Fitz's reason for not wanting to backup Allen in the past has more to do with Allens health then his own. Fitz is afraid he will jinx Josh Allen. Myself personally, Fitzpatricks knowledge of reading D's and as a student of the game can help keep Allen safe and productive real time in a football game.

You make a good point however in not knowing as a fan of Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills where he's at in life both physically and mentally.

Thanks Gregg 

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

The only issue I'd have with Moustache is that he isn't as mobile as Josh is, that's why a guy like Mariota is intriguing yet I don't like that he gave up on his team when he lost the starting job in Atlanta. 

Thats fair. I'm just a fan of the guy for whatever reason idk but I would be alright with him tossing some swine for us

5 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Backup QB in the middle-late rounds of the draft. A high floor, low ceiling type guy. You basically hope he can be a game manager and not turn the ball over if Allen goes down.

What would be the difference between that and Matt Barkley?

2 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Wentz

I'd put Trubisky ahead of him, but Wentz has a much better career winning percentage than Brissett or Minshew. 

And he has a much better track record of winning the Super Bowl watching from the side lines.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.