Backup QB Options?

boyst

I'm definitely in Barkley as the PS vet presence and then draft a QB in the mid-late rounds to back up Allen.  

Someone like Duggan or Bennett would be fine by me.  As long as we give Allen the OL and weapons we should, a rookie should be able to game manage us to a fighting chance if Allen had to miss a few games. 

Edited by SCBills

9 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

WGR was speculating just keep Matt Barkley and then take a late round flyer on a QB…might be a spot for Stetson Bennett like in the 6th 

That's a good plan but I'm wondering about Bennett's height, being 5'11".  If he's the next Doug Flutie, then let's go!  LOL

.....Drew Lock is similar size and plays a game similar to Josh Allen.  Has a strong arm.  Poor mans JA?  (I would like KC to pick him up as our backup, he's from Kansas City.)  The Packers, once the Rodgers thing is sorted out, may be in on him.  They loved him coming out of college.  I don't think they really believe in Jordan Love as much as they are just tired of Rodgers and ready to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

78thealltimegreat has me all thinking about Doug Flutie again.  Haha....

Maybe Stetson Bennett is the guy in the 5th...    He's short but I just watched his hilights, and boy does he have that "spark".  Might be interesting off the bench.

The only difference now is that Allen is the "Rob Johnson" they all hoped he would be!

Edited by Yantha

3 minutes ago, Yantha said:

78thealltimegreat has me all thinking about Doug Flutie again.  Haha....

Maybe Stetson Bennett is the guy in the 5th...    He's short but I just watched his hilights, and boy does he have that "spark".  Might be interesting off the bench.

The only difference now is that Allen is the "Rob Johnson" they all hoped he would be!

I don't think he is worth a 5th round pick personally.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Trubisky makes a lot of sense- as long as whoever the backup QB is, I hope they can make plays with their legs.  Whomever we sign will be a below average to poor passer based on being a backup without a job.  We should make sure they can do something decent to move the chains.

Brissett is the perfect guy imo….but I think he’d get a lot more money elsewhere 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think he is worth a 5th round pick personally.

Wondering where he's going in so called "consensus mocks".  

I'll check it out.

EDIT:  Looks to be a 5th to 6th rounder in consensus mocks, but we all know QB's are usually drafted higher than their perceived value.  I think to get him, it would have to be in the 5th.  

Edited by Yantha

Just now, NewEra said:

Trubisky makes a lot of sense- as long as whoever the backup QB is, I hope they can make plays with their legs.  Whomever we sign will be a below average to poor passer based on being a backup without a job.  We should make sure they can do something decent to move the chains.

Brissett is the perfect guy imo….but I think he’d get a lot more money elsewhere 

Yep. Gotta have some wheels. Mitch is the perfect solution IMO, so long as he doesnt want stupid money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Probably too expensive:

Tyler Huntely

Jacoby Brissett

Carson Wentz

Marcus Mariota

Andy Dalton

Garder Minshue

Realistic:

Teddy Bridgewater 

Kyle Allen

Mason Rudolph

Joe Flacco

Josh Johnson

Cooper Rush

Blane Gabbert

Josh Dobbs 

Elite:

Nate Peterman 

I wouldn't take Carson Wentz if he was paying us to play.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, nucci said:

No, it wouldn't

Yeah it would.  What's the point of winning games with a backup QB if there is no shot at doing anything once we get in the playoffs or even if we get to the playoffs.  Having an unnaturally high pick due to QB injury is why Cincy was able to get Chase.

22 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

I don't think they really believe in Jordan Love as much as they are just tired of Rodgers and ready to move on.

I’ve seen this a lot and I’m wondering why people think this? If they didn’t believe in Love, they would be doing everything possible to make Rodgers come back. 

I think Love is going to be an absolute star. That kid is incredibly talented 

1 hour ago, nucci said:

it's being discussed on keenum thread. Why would you want him back? Did you see him play last season? He was awful

I must have missed the game(s) this past season where Case Keenum was “awful”.  Please elaborate. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.