Backup QB Options?

boyst

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Spending more than the NFL minimum salary on backup QB for this roster is insane.  If Allen is gone, we lose. 

I do think a decent backup QB helps in camp and helps identify players to maybe keep in preseason games.

Also, if Allen is out for the season I agree, but what about finishing a game where a QB goes down or for 1 or 2 during the season?

I'm not advocating for a high $ backup, but I think the position has more to it than many fans believe.

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I do think a decent backup QB helps in camp and helps identify players to maybe keep in preseason games.

Also, if Allen is out for the season I agree, but what about finishing a game where a QB goes down or for 1 or 2 during the season?

I'm not advocating for a high $ backup, but I think the position has more to it than many fans believe.

Agree. Everyone assumes the injury will be season ending. Picture the scenario where the Bills are 4-0 and kicking everyone's ass, and (God forbid) QB1 sprains his ankle, or is in the concussion protocol for a few weeks. Are people saying "just tank the season, we have no chance"? You have to have someone who can muddle through and not lose 3-4 games by themself.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It’s a sixth unless you think a 6th makes the active roster here?

Sounds like you believe 6th (and later) are just throw-a-ways to be used as camp fodder.  Do the names Tom Brady or Terrell Davis ring a bell?  
Plenty of 6th, 7th, and undrafted players make NFL active rosters. 
There will be numerous FA options better than Bennett that wouldn’t cost a precious draft pick.  

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

We have tons of holes and 6 draft picks. Hard to justify using one on a backup we hope never plays unless it's the last one. The rest need to go to pluggin actual holes.

It doesn’t matter wrt Hooker.  He will be gone by mid 2nd round.  4th is in no way realistic.

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Barkley was our 3rd QB last year. He's a good QB in room but questionable on the field. Bring me Mariota.

Screw up Mariota. He sucks and quit on his team.

8 hours ago, Bocephuz said:

two words

Jacoby

Brissett

Best answer in this thread. He played really good last year and is a great lockerroom guy. Best chance to win a game if Josh gets hurt and would help in the film room a ton.

4 hours ago, Motorin' said:

I'd put Trubisky ahead of him, but Wentz has a much better career winning percentage than Brissett or Minshew. 

And he has a much better track record of winning the Super Bowl watching from the side lines.  

Are we really doing winning % for qbs still? Yikes. Wentz got hurt and was so missed, his team won the SB.  Everyone hates him. There’s a reason he’s bouncing around and it’s not about his talent. Dude might be out of the league this year.

12 hours ago, nucci said:

it's being discussed on keenum thread. Why would you want Trubisky back? Did you see him play last season? He was awful

He’s always been awful. Nice guy though. 

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm definitely in Barkley as the PS vet presence and then draft a QB in the mid-late rounds to back up Allen.  

Someone like Duggan or Bennett would be fine by me.  As long as we give Allen the OL and weapons we should, a rookie should be able to game manage us to a fighting chance if Allen had to miss a few games. 

Bennett would be the oldest guy on the team! 

12 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

WGR was speculating just keep Matt Barkley and then take a late round flyer on a QB…might be a spot for Stetson Bennett like in the 6th 

Nice if he’s still around. Jake Haener from Fresno State in the 7th 🤷🏻‍♂️

12 hours ago, mannc said:

I must have missed the game(s) this past season where Case Keenum was “awful”.  Please elaborate. 

CK was a very solid back up. He could win a game or two if needed.He’s had a decent career. MB is good guy and did win us a game. But BB wants someone with more of JA’s running skill set. Brissett or MM make sense but probably too much $$$. Draft might be it. 

Feel like Mayfield gets or competes for a starting job. Wentz either competes or is a bridge QB for a team drafting a rookie QB high.

Brissett is by far the best option followed by Rush, Minshew, Mariota, and Bridgewater, in that order imho.

QB2 is important for this team, too, with Allen’s style of play plus coming off his UCL injury.

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

QB2 is important for this team, too, with Allen’s style of play plus coming off his UCL injury.

Nah..  We arent doing much without JA if he gets a long term injury...

Better off climbing the draft list and getting a decent pick for once if he is really injured...

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Nah..  We arent doing much without JA if he gets a long term injury...

Better off climbing the draft list and getting a decent pick for once if he is really injured...

What about a short to medium term injury? You want a guy who can keep you at least .500 or better so your season isn’t donezo.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.