Backup QB Options?

boyst

2 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’ve seen this a lot and I’m wondering why people think this? If they didn’t believe in Love, they would be doing everything possible to make Rodgers come back. 

I think Love is going to be an absolute star. That kid is incredibly talented 

If they thought anything of Love at all, they would have moved on from Rodgers last year when they would have gotten a haul and not had to sign him to that huge extension.  Love didn't suddenly become good between last offseason and this offseason.  He still sucks.  The difference is the Packers are tired of Rodgers...coudln't win with him last year and can't put or keep a good roster around him with his paycheck.....that's too much to put up with his shananigans for.  They want to be done with him. Has nothing to do with Love..

Just now, Zerovoltz said:

If they thought anything of Love at all, they would have moved on from Rodgers last year when they would have gotten a haul and not had to sign him to that huge extension.  Love didn't suddenly become good between last offseason and this offseason.  He still sucks.  The difference is the Packers are tired of Rodgers...coudln't win with him last year and can't put or keep a good roster around him with his paycheck.....that's too much to put up with his shananigans for.  They want to be done with him. Has nothing to do with Love..

You think they would have dumped Rodgers after winning his second consecutive MVP? Insane, no team would have done that

Rodgers missed most practices last year on Wednesday with his thumb injury, so Love has played alot in practice. When he came in against the Eagles last year he was slinging that ball. Love is gonna be a star. Packers are done with Rodgers becuase they already know Love can do it.

I bet he wins the division outright next year and they win a playoff game with Love. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

You think they would have dumped Rodgers after winning his second consecutive MVP? Insane, no team would have done that

Rodgers missed most practices last year on Wednesday with his thumb injury, so Love has played alot in practice. When he came in against the Eagles last year he was slinging that ball. Love is gonna be a star. Packers are done with Rodgers becuase they already know Love can do it.

I bet he wins the division outright next year and they win a playoff game with Love. 

Wouild you care to place a wager on it with me?  100 bucks?

44 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Probably too expensive:

Tyler Huntely

Jacoby Brissett

Carson Wentz

Marcus Mariota

Andy Dalton

Garder Minshue

Realistic:

Teddy Bridgewater 

Kyle Allen

Mason Rudolph

Joe Flacco

Josh Johnson

Cooper Rush

Blane Gabbert

Josh Dobbs 

Elite:

Nate Peterman 

Agree with all of these except Rush, who has moved to too expensive given his amazing performance last year.  I would ink Wentz for 5 if he goes that low for a reset year. 

1 hour ago, JackKemp said:

Going to get a backup QB in the draft. 

this.  years of control, plus rookies played well on SF and Miami last year when needed.  If we have the weapons around JA that we need, we should be able to eek out a .500 if JA misses time.  

44 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yeah it would.  What's the point of winning games with a backup QB if there is no shot at doing anything once we get in the playoffs or even if we get to the playoffs.  Having an unnaturally high pick due to QB injury is why Cincy was able to get Chase.

I get this point.  But I'd argue you can win the SB with a backup.  SF nearly made it, and the Giants beat us in 25.  Other teams have won SBs with backup level QBs (Eagles recently).  It's hard to do, but that's why I'd go with a rookie backup.  You could win, and if you don't, you get a Jamar Chase type in the draft.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm sure everyone knows by now who I want for Bills backup QB. Chan Gailey quit coaching completely in the NFL because he couldn't have Ryan Fitzpatrick running the Gailey Offense. If you want added innovation/ wrinkles to the Bills O, Fitzpatrick can help. If you want a student of the game that can assist Josh Allen real time against the oppositions D, Fitzpatrick can be that bearded guy. If you want a Bills backup QB that can step in and win when needed. Fitzpatrick has won many football games in the NFL. Last, but not least. If you want a man that really loves the city of Buffalo and loves Josh Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick Fits the Bills.

Thanks OP

Edited by Figster
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, boyst said:

I am surprised this is not a conversation already being had because it is an important decision.

We have seen next to nothing on links and possibilities. Does anyone have any ideas?

I would love to see Mitch cut and come back.

Why, on "love to see Mitch"?

Canonically, we want a backup who can come into a game or start a couple games and give us a 50/50 chance to win.  Overall, that's what we had with Keenum.

Statistically, that's what we'd have with Mitch, but frankly, he played like a Lost Boy for Pittsburgh last season.  Did not look like a guy who can lead a team at all, whereas I had a sense that the team would have followed Keenum, they knew he couldn't make the throws that Allen could but they trusted his head for the game.

A Buffalo Bills 7th round pick late in the draft saving on unnecessary cap space. Because if the Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen gets hurt it’s over anyway. So I wouldn’t use a lot of money for a position that doesn’t play and if the Bills had Josh Allen go down we can find a QB off the couch who hadn’t been signed in the offseason. So why spend money on a problem that the Bills may never need would be a problem in the first place is how I would look at it. No veteran minimum salary. The Bills need to use there money on difference makers on this team like get a WR Odell Beckham JR. Stop wasting money on punter, backup quarterback just a waste of resources the little cap space we do have in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Zerovoltz said:

I agree to a point. Sample size on Love is too small to know for sure. Im sure they know more from practice but he has not had enough game time for us to know.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

A Buffalo Bills 7th round pick late in the draft saving on unnecessary cap space. Because if the Buffalo Bills QB Josh Allen gets hurt it’s over anyway. So I wouldn’t use a lot of money for a position that doesn’t play and if the Bills had Josh Allen go down we can find a QB off the couch who hadn’t been signed in the offseason. So why spend money on a problem that the Bills may never need would be a problem in the first place is how I would look at it. No veteran minimum salary. The Bills need to use there money on difference makers on this team like get a WR Odell Beckham JR. Stop wasting money on punter, backup quarterback just a waste of resources the little cap space we do have in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

100% agree. Look what Miami and San Fran did with garbage heap QB'S. Keep adding resources around Allen and hope he stays healthy. Without him for an extended period of time it won't matter. 

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

WGR was speculating just keep Matt Barkley and then take a late round flyer on a QB…might be a spot for Stetson Bennett like in the 6th 

that would be a complete waste of a draft pick

26 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

ok...you are betting the Packers win division and a playoff game with Love as starting QB.  I am betting that doesn't happen.  I'd be willing to make this a little easier.  How about Packers with Love make playoffs, you win...Packers and Love don't make playoffs, I win.  You good with that?

Lets do it

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I'm sure everyone knows by now who I want. Chan Gailey basically quit coaching completely because he couldn't have his guy behind center. Ryan Fitzpatrick. You want added wrinkles to the Bills O? Fitzpatrick is the one that can give it to you. You want real time help against the oppositions D ? Fitzpatrick.  You want a backup QB that can win? Ryan Fitzpatrick. You want a man that loves the city of Buffalo? Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Thanks OP

Probably can't play anymore but I could see him as a QB coach to start and then an OC down the line.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.