Bills restructure Miler and Allen

nato7412

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I haven't heard the Milano 2023 cost of $6M, but if that is correct, I add things up to around $16M.  So, we are in sync.

The Milano extension saved us 6 million.

https://www.wgrz.com/article/sports/nfl/bills/buffalo-bills-sign-matt-milano-to-2-year-extension-in-cap-saving-move/71-e560d6cc-8c4a-44aa-819f-e39cfa1cdad0

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wolfpack78 said:

Boom.  He doesn’t do this unless there is a specific reason right?

Most of the specific reason is that the Bills were $19M over the cap and he needs some $$ to sign some guys (not necessarily big splashes, just guys) and to sign draft picks, with all the FA the Bills have. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So that's 32 Mil for Josh and Von, 6 mil for Milano's extension, 1.3 mil from Hines' restructure, and 600k for Settle's restructure. Roughly 40 million freed up at around 17.6 over.

Would be interested to see where that leaves us after McGovern, Martin, Matakevitch, and Lewis moves.

Good questions.  Spotrac already has Martin's contract accounted for and shows us $15M under.  No details on McGovern yet, that's reported as $4M against the 2023 cap, so leaves $11M. 

I would assume Matakevitch and Lewis are pretty low budget moves, vet minimum type. 

Maybe leaves about $9M

Edit: I missed that Spotrac didn't have the Milano restructure, so more like $14-15M

Edited by Beck Water

11 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Spotrac has the restructure $ in.  Also already has the Hines and Settle redo's and Sam Martin.

Bills now with $15M

They have Milano still at $13M.  But it will be $6M less.

Don't have McGovern, Dirty Red and Lewis.  But that seem to be a wash with the Milano savings.

Just about $15M in cap space when all this washes out.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

So we have 7.9 under the cap with some of that needed for draft picks...

Just me, but I wouldn't worry about the draft picks just now.  I don't think Beane is.  We only need top-51, which is gonna be about $5M.

Beane will keep restructuring and tweaking contracts after FA.  He'll be using that $9M $15M to sign FA now.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac has the restructure $ in.  Also already has the Hines and Settle redo's and Sam Martin.

Bills now with $15M

They have Milano still at $13M.  But it will be $6M less.

Don't have McGovern, Dirty Red and Lewis.  But that seem to be a wash with the Milano savings.

Just about $15M in cap space when all this washes out.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

Oh, good catch - I didn't see that Spotrac hadn't put in the Milano extension. 

Agree, McGovern is said to be $4M this season, and I'm betting Matekavich and Lewis are minimal deals, so close to a wash.

That's exciting, it means we still have close to that $15M for FA.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Just me, but I wouldn't worry about the draft picks just now.  I don't think Beane is.  We only need top-51, which is gonna be about $5M.

Beane will keep restructuring and tweaking contracts after FA.  He'll be using that $9M to sign FA now.

Oh, good catch - I didn't see that Spotrac hadn't put in the Milano extension. 

Agree, McGovern is said to be $4M this season, and I'm betting Matekavich and Lewis are minimal deals, so close to a wash.

That's exciting, it means we still have close to that $15M for FA.

They are going to have to take another $1.7M or so off when Phillips and Saffold's void years move to dead money and 2 low tier guys go on

the 51.

Good news Beane is under the cap and has some working capital.  I could see another restructure for some smaller $s if he needs it.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

They are going to have to take another $1.7M or so off when Phillips and Saffold's void years move to dead money and 2 low tier guys go on

the 51.

Good news Beane is under the cap and has some working capital.  I could see another restructure for some smaller $s if he needs it.

My guess would be that an extension for DaQuan Jones might be in the work.  He was a Force last year. He is turned 31, but interior DLmen can be effective longer. IF we're losing Poyer, I also wouldn't rule out a small extension for Hyde though that's dangerous business with him coming off the neck surgery.

Oh, wow - just saw that Matakevitch is said to have signed a 1 year, $2.5M extension - yowza.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

That is great if the Buffalo Bills use the money wisely. Former UB Bulls CB Cam Lewis and giving our punter who is barely used isn’t using the money wisely. Sign difference makers like Odell Beckham JR instead is using the money wisely in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Cam Lewis is not costing cap space.  He is no different than when the Bills sign a bunch of UDFAs after the draft.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

My guess would be that an extension for DaQuan Jones might be in the work.  He was a Force last year. He is turned 31, but interior DLmen can be effective longer. IF we're losing Poyer, I also wouldn't rule out a small extension for Hyde though that's dangerous business with him coming off the neck surgery.

Oh, wow - just saw that Matakevitch is said to have signed a 1 year, $2.5M extension - yowza.

Its 1.9M this year, but yea…. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Miller's contract was specifically designed to allow for this restrcuture. His roster bonus this year was about $10 million higher than his signing bonus last year, which is almost unheard of. It was a telltale sign of a restructure. There was never a scenario where they weren't going to execute this.

I'm not remotely worried about our cap situation in 2025. The league wide salary cap will be accelerating rapidly at that point. There is really nothing stopping us from perpetually kicking the can down the road until the day Allen retires. We will never feel the pain until we have to go into a full on rebuild from scratch and at that point no one will care.

To your first point, I don’t think that’s the case. It was built to get out of easily after three years. Now Von will cost either $15 or $24M in 2025.

Thats a lot of money for any pass rusher in the NFL. And a ton for one who will be 36.

My criticism isn’t directly meant for cap purposes, although part of it. Its value. Von Miller will be terrible value. And that money will cost us elsewhere. It’s not any different than BB putting together one of the most expensive Ol’s in the league without being a top unit. We’ve had the most expensive DL in the league without ever being the best DL. 

The FO keeps spending tons of money and draft picks without return at all sorts of position groups. If any of those groups were the best in the league you wouldn’t hear a peep from me about it. 

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Its 1.9M this year, but yea…. 

I don't mind it at all.  He is the captain of the STs and is pretty good at it.  Having a couple of ST'ers is fine with me.

It's the 5 or more that get me aggravated.

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

To your first point, I don’t think that’s the case. It was built to get out of easily after three years. Now Von will cost either $15 or $24M in 2025.

Thats a lot of money for any pass rusher in the NFL. And a ton for one who will be 36.

My criticism isn’t directly meant for cap purposes, although part of it. Its value. Von Miller will be terrible value. And that money will cost us elsewhere. It’s not any different than BB putting together one of the most expensive Ol’s in the league without being a top unit. We’ve had the most expensive DL in the league without ever being the best DL. 

The FO keeps spending tons of money and draft picks without return at all sorts of position groups. If any of those groups were the best in the league you wouldn’t hear a peep from me about it. 

I tend to agree with you, but it's done.  He's a 4-year contract now.  If his play falls way off Beane will just have to eat the money 

and move on.

Truthfully, I was a little shocked they restructured him fully.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/von-miller-7717/

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

They appeared to be one of the best DLs in the league before Miller, Rousseau, and Oliver all suffered serious injuries. Beane clearly has overinvested in the DL and it took him too long to get it right. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The Von Miller contract was a no brainer to improve what was clearly the biggest weakness on the roster after the 2021 season. I suspect Miller will return to his early 2022 level of play by the middle of this coming season and the DL will be a strength of the team IF they aren't snakebitten by injuries again which is always an unpredictable wildcard.

12 minutes ago, Mango said:

It really is the case, though. The $13 million roster bonus due this year was an obvious mechanism that they planned to cash out. It's why pretty much every single person that evaluated the Bills cap situation knew Allen and Miller were going to have these restructures executed. Such glaring obvious moves that were clearly designed ahead of time. If they hadn't done it they literally wouldn't have enough money to operate in free agency in any kind of meaningful way.

Edited by HappyDays

Get a veteran linebacker, safety, and WR and we go into the draft in ok shape.

We need a backup QB, please tell me Barkley isn’t their plan? 

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

the 51.

McKenzie just sitting out there waiting to be cut. 

Thats $2M+ in savings with some deaf cap hit. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It really is the case, though. The $13 million roster bonus due this year was an obvious mechanism that they planned to cash out. It's why pretty much every single person that evaluated the Bills cap situation knew Allen and Miller were going to have these restructures executed. Such glaring obvious moves that were clearly designed ahead of time. If they hadn't done it they literally wouldn't have enough money to operate in free agency in any kind of meaningful way.

I agree it was structured with that in mind.  It is more of a risk after his injury.  I for one will be very hopeful on his recovery!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.