Josh Allen Era - Ch. 1 - "Frazier-Edmunds Defense" is Complete, what will define the next chapter?

Chaos

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So the other 17 games don’t count? Also, lot of factors, especially this year. 

Don’t be silly, no one is saying that, the constant inability / refusal to make meaningful adjustments in the post season is of no concern for you? Its as if you are purposefully being obtuse, or is it that you like arguing for the sake of arguing…

I think it's a great observation.  I don't have any answers about what the future looks like, but I think the point about the end of a chapter is an excellent thing to consider.    

It's not just Frazier and Edmunds.  It's Poyer and/or Hyde and/or Oliver.  And/or who knows what surprises?

And I think on offense it's chapter 2, also.  Chapter 1 had Brown and Beasley and Diggs.   I don't know what the future is, but Diggs is a quirky enough guy that he could be gone.  Hard to imagine, given his talent, but it could happen.   If the Bills become a champion, they will have an offensive line that looks different.   Morse won't be here forever, the guards are a work in process, for sure, and I wouldn't feel confident betting on the future of either of the tackles.  

Throw in the constant changes in the league, the re-emergence of the running game as an essential part of any winning offense, and I think we're looking at a chapter 2 that is mighty different from chapter 1. 

People here are saying it may be a rough couple of seasons, and McDermott and Beane could be gone, but I don't see it that way.  This team may be transitioning to chapter 2, but I don't expect that they will sacrifice winning while the transition happens.   You can argue if you want, and I could make up the arguments, but I think all you have to do is look back to McDermott's season 1.   That group simply was not championship caliber, not close, but they won games and got to the playoffs.   In 2023, in much the same way, the Bills may have several positions in transition, but they'll still have Allen, and I don't expect the winning will stop.  McDermott will do his job, and the team will win.  

The transition of players is ongoing, on this team and on every team.   That's a given in the NFL.  The big questions for the future are (1) will Dorsey grow into the OC job?   If not, McDermott and Beane will have to make a move, and they will have to get the replacement right.  And (2) will they get DC job right?  Maybe this season they're auditioning someone for the job, but by the end of 2023, they need to know whose the DC of the future.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

People here are saying it may be a rough couple of seasons, and McDermott and Beane could be gone, but I don't see it that way.  This team may be transitioning to chapter 2, but I don't expect that they will sacrifice winning while the transition happens.   You can argue if you want, and I could make up the arguments, but I think all you have to do is look back to McDermott's season 1.   That group simply was not championship caliber, not close, but they won games and got to the playoffs.   In 2023, in much the same way, the Bills may have several positions in transition, but they'll still have Allen, and I don't expect the winning will stop.  McDermott will do his job, and the team will win.  

This season is far different from season 1 of McD.   His first season started a new era from being perennial losers to finally making the playoffs.  Now we are a perennial contenders with an aging generational QB that seems to consistently get outcoached deep in the playoffs.   Fans have higher expectations these days and far less patience.

15 hours ago, Chaos said:

The first Chapter of the Josh Allen era had some great successes, annual playoff appearances, a championship appearance, and some moments of dominance.  The defining feature of the rest of the team was the emphasis on the Frazier-Edmunds defense scheme.  This chapter is completly closed with today's signing of  Edmunds by the Bears. 

As we being Josh Allen Era - Chapter 2, what will be the Bills primary emphasis be to get better results in Chapter 2, than Chapter 1.  I was not a huge Frazier or Edmunds fan, but they provided the teams most recognizable elements (aside from Josh himself) ?

A much better analysis would suggest that LAST year was the first year in the true new era---the Dorsey offense era, which didn't go well.  

The Daboll era was Chapter 1 of the Josh Allen years.

We are now in year 2 of the Dorsey era, or chapter 2.

What will define Chapter 2?  Whether or not we appear in a Super Bowl, most likely.

Another year of disjointed, disappointing offense and Dorsey will be gone.  

14 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So the other 17 games don’t count? Also, lot of factors, especially this year. 

This Bills team is not going to be measured by regular season results.  Some franchises measure their success with championships, and even fire head coaches in playoff seasons that ultimately disappoint.

I know Bills fans have no clue what that attitude is about, but try to imagine it.

Edited by Nextmanup

20 minutes ago, Lost said:

This season is far different from season 1 of McD.   His first season started a new era from being perennial losers to finally making the playoffs.  Now we are a perennial contenders with an aging generational QB that seems to consistently get outcoached deep in the playoffs.   Fans have higher expectations these days and far less patience.

You missed the point.   Some people here are suggesting the wheels will fall off, Bills will miss the playoffs, while they transition to chapter 2.   That's what I was responding to - I said the Bills will continue to win during the transition, for the same reason they won in McD's first season.   McD will find a way. 

I suppose one problem with McD could be that his greatest skill is to get average players to win more than average.  Whether he can win more than average is the question.   

15 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Aggressive/more risky defense to force some key sacks or turnovers has been 2 years in the waiting.  It's the key to slowing down Mahomes/Burrow led offenses.

Add some firepower to the offense, and some speed at S.  Elam in year 2, Tre back healthy, and switch to a dime defense to get more speed on 3rd downs (depending what we do with LB position, and would require likely drafting another slot corner).

Does T Johnson move to Safety?  Sure Tackler , hard hitter under the Hyde guidance?  Thoughts

4 minutes ago, fan_in_tx said:

Does T Johnson move to Safety?  Sure Tackler , hard hitter under the Hyde guidance?  Thoughts

Absolutely not.  Taron is a very good nickle/slot, and there's a clear drop off from him to Siran Neal.  Keep him there.

We should be looking to get some depth at nickle corner though, and alot of teams are moving to 3-safety looks...I think this is what we will do, with Benford as our 3rd safety.

Safety is looking like an early draft pick, ie: sometime on day 2 of the draft.

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Absolutely not.  Taron is a very good nickle/slot, and there's a clear drop off from him to Siran Neal.  Keep him there.

We should be looking to get some depth at nickle corner though, and alot of teams are moving to 3-safety looks...I think this is what we will do, with Benford as our 3rd safety.

Safety is looking like an early draft pick, ie: sometime on day 2 of the draft.

None of us knows, but I'm expecting it will be Johnson.  Safety is the leadership position on this team.  Safeties make the rest of the defense effective.  McDermott will want quality, senior leadership at safety.  It wasn't by accident that both Poyer and Hyde arrived in Buffalo at the very beginning for McDermott.   

Frankly, I think Johnson is so good that it's a luxury to have him in the slot.  Unless Beane pulls some kind of rabbit out of a hat, the Bills can't afford that luxury.   If you're going to have a project on the field, you'd much rather have the project at nickel, with safeties behind him to help as needed.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

That's a pretty dark summary of where our team stands right now.  Do you think at this point in his career that Rodgers is leading the Jets anywhere?  He is done.  He knows it.  And so do the Packers.   The Dolphins are the Dolphins.  Lots of hype, but they still have Tua, a bad O line, and a bunch of overpriced names like Bradley Chubb on defense.  The Bills are still the class of the division.  The Bernard pick was questionable.  Not sure what they saw in this kid that makes him a 3rd round pick.  I think Baylen Spector has some upside.  Kid played at Clemson.  They teach strong defense there.   And he looked good in the preseason.  But then the Biils never dressed him.  They need to start playing guys they draft.  

Aaron Rodgers was the back-to-back MVP in 2020-2021.  His "bad" 2022 season was still pretty good by most other QB standards. 

The Jets roster otherwise is stacked with young talent.  They have been held back by poor QB play.  Even a 2022 repeat season from Rodgers probably wins them the division.

The only issue with the Dolphins is the health of Tua Tagovailoa.  His first concussion issues derailed the team's hot start.  Missing the playoffs cost them a Wild Card victory (over us).  Guys with head injuries may be more likely to suffer them again.  But not guaranteed.  Dismissing them because they "are the Dolphins" is the same mistake the Patriots made with us a few years back.

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I don't know a lot about McGovern.  But he played a lot on a good Cowboys O line.  He has to be an upgrade over the turnstile that was Saffold.  Beane has to start hitting on his free agent signings and draft choices.  The roster is not nearly as good as we thought going into last season.  But its not a mess, except for the O line. 

Letting Edmunds go was a smart move by the team.  Can't pay big money for mediocrity.  Lets hope two months from now after the draft and free agency are over, that the roster is taking shape in a real solid way.  Go Bills.

As I mentioned elsewhere in the thread... I don't have any problems with signing McGovern or letting Edmunds walk.

I just think the damage to this roster was done during the 2020, 2021 and 2022 drafts.  That is how you keep the cupboard stocked when free agency steals your starters.  And we walked away from those drafts without sufficient talent, and now we are going to pay for it.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

I just think the damage to this roster was done during the 2020, 2021 and 2022 drafts.  That is how you keep the cupboard stocked when free agency steals your starters.  And we walked away from those drafts without sufficient talent, and now we are going to pay for it.

I think this thought is hard to deny.   The drafts haven't salted the roster with really solid talent.  Instead, it seems the Bills have a lot of players whose potential hasn't been realized.   A lot of guys where the idea of them made sense, but the reality of what they've done doesn't.  Like Rousseau.  He was drafted because he had the potential to be special, but he hasn't been that.  He wasn't drafted to be routinely solid, but he hasn't been that, either.   Spencer Brown is another.   Later rounds, too.  Just not a lot of guys who are working their way into the lineup and just doing a workmanlike job.  

6 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

People here are saying it may be a rough couple of seasons, and McDermott and Beane could be gone, but I don't see it that way

For better or worse, they will get to finish Chapter 2. another 4 or 5 seasons.   If Chapter 2 includes a Super Bowl win, both will likely be in Buffalo for as long as they want.  Even if they don't win a championship Sean McDermott could very well be our Jeff Fisher. 

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

For better or worse, they will get to finish Chapter 2. another 4 or 5 seasons.   If Chapter 2 includes a Super Bowl win, both will likely be in Buffalo for as long as they want.  Even if they don't win a championship Sean McDermott could very well be our Jeff Fisher. 

I agree, all of Chapter 2, and 4 or 5 seasons may be right.  If this chapter doesn't have a happy ending, then they may be unemployed.  Wealthy, but unemployed.  

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The Daboll era was Chapter 1 of the Josh Allen years

There is merit to your point. However we came into the 2022 season overwhemling favorites to win the Super Bowl. That was the last hurrah of chapter 1.  And that ship has sailed.  The Bills may not even be favored to win the division in 2023. 

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

There is merit to your point. However we came into the 2022 season overwhemling favorites to win the Super Bowl. That was the last hurrah of chapter 1.  And that ship has sailed.  The Bills may not even be favored to win the division in 2023. 

A better analogy is to compare 2018-2022 as the first book in a series. It was an epic read but had a terrible last chapter where the hero’s found themselves defeated by the villains. 

So what does the second book hold? 

On 3/14/2023 at 10:39 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

I meant that awful regular season game where their Josh Allen was the better Josh Allen. 

the defense helped Allen grow into the player he is because he wasn’t forced to carry the team right away. Allen improved every year but he wasn’t the same player in his first 2 years as he is today. 

Thanks for that memory.  Another horror show in the Gator Bowl.  Wow we were bad that day.  

Agree about his first two years.  He has definitely evolved into a top QB.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.