Josh Allen Era - Ch. 1 - "Frazier-Edmunds Defense" is Complete, what will define the next chapter?

Chaos

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

It will be a short second chapter as I suspect it will end when the Bills fire McDermott at the end of the 2023 or 2024 season. 

The team looks about done with the “process.” If this year starts terribly, he could be fired mid-season.

Everyone here will says that’s impossible just like they said how much everyone loved Edmunds year after year. Personally, I think they decided they weren’t keeping Edmunds a few years ago.

I feel the same way about McBeane as most in Tampa did about Gruden. People appreciated that he came in and made a terrible offense a little better and won a SB but everyone knew he wasn’t a hood longterm answer as coach. He was absolutely horrid at drafting and team building and it got so bad that players were leaking that they didn’t want to play for him anymore, kinda similar to Diggs’ recent hinting.

Well, Gruden stayed 2 years too long and absolutely annihilated the team and it took a long time to recover from that damage. 

Let’s not do that.

Edited by Governor
  • Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Chaos said:

Sort of the same as Chapter 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Dang, sounds like the same title as the previous chapter.

Have you never hear of sequels?

Godfather

Godfather: part 2

Godfather: part 3

It's the same story just a new movie.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JMM said:

How did that number 1 D do the last three years in the playoffs?  Let's put this to rest huh? 🙄

Sure will be harder positioning ourselves in the regular season to compete for the 1st seed without that #1 defense.

People are acting like the regular season is nothing.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Sure will be harder positioning ourselves in the regular season to compete for the 1st seed without that #1 defense.

People are acting like the regular season is nothing.

How many 1 seeds did we get with that “#1 Defense”?

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Be careful what you wish for because the Buffalo Bills have a lot of holes now and I could see the Buffalo Bills completely missing the playoffs next season than bye, bye Sean McDermott than if the Bills still continue to decline bye, bye Stefon Diggs. The only Buffalo Bills player safe regardless what happens in the next few years is QB Josh Allen because PSE needs him to be the face of the Bills franchise to transition the Bills into sky high ticket prices along with huge PSL’s along with $100 parking spots in the new Bills stadium enjoy the Bills village control tailgates for the $100 dollars if I had to guess. It will be fun but the Bills tailgaters are going to get some real surprises from PSE new “Haunted House”. That is what BSF is calling the new Bills stadium the “Haunted House” it’s going to scare a lot of Bills fans the prices. It’s coming just wait so many Bills fans are going to feel foolish for not asking more than what they are going to get in the new Bills stadium even though they will pay like any other NFL around the country and get way less have fun at the new “Haunted House” in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I hate to say it, but I also believe the Bills are headed for a rough couple seasons.  I'm not sure whether this is Chapter 2 or 3, but I don't think Sean McDermott (and possibly not Brandon Beane) will be around for the next one.

People just don't realize that New England, Pittsburgh, etc. are by far the exception to the rule.  Most teams cannot stay competitive for longer than about 3-4 seasons, before the salary cap, age and mediocre drafting pulls them back down to the pack.  All signs point to the Bills championship window being closed, and now it being time to reboot/reload.  It seems like most Bills fans are either blind or in denial.  

I mean... Aaron Rodgers is about to get traded to a division rival, and they still don't see the Jets as a threat.  Jalen Ramsey going to the Dolphins is nothing to worry about either.  But Connor McGovern is the move that will solidify our O-Line and push us over the top.  Ugh.  Kansas City just won another Super Bowl, and they are out aggressively upgrading the O-Line.  We spent most of Day 1 re-signing special teams-only guys.

The stadium is another kick in the pants.  Buffalo was good just long enough for fans to get all excited about the team, allowing the city/state to push through tax approval.  I wonder how people are going to feel about that deal when the Bills finish in 3rd place the next couple seasons.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Thank god that chapter is closed. It was awful having the number 1 defense back to back

this next chapter is going to be “Josh, you have a ton of money so need to carry the team”

It was. Defense was a fraud. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Thank god that chapter is closed. It was awful having the number 1 defense back to back. 

this next chapter is going to be “Josh, you have a ton of money so need to carry the team”

I wonder, was our number 1 defense the last few years really that good?   Sometimes the offense makes the defense look better simply by keeping them off the field.  

46 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I hate to say it, but I also believe the Bills are headed for a rough couple seasons.  I'm not sure whether this is Chapter 2 or 3, but I don't think Sean McDermott (and possibly not Brandon Beane) will be around for the next one.

People just don't realize that New England, Pittsburgh, etc. are by far the exception to the rule.  Most teams cannot stay competitive for longer than about 3-4 seasons, before the salary cap, age and mediocre drafting pulls them back down to the pack.  All signs point to the Bills championship window being closed, and now it being time to reboot/reload.  It seems like most Bills fans are either blind or in denial.  

I mean... Aaron Rodgers is about to get traded to a division rival, and they still don't see the Jets as a threat.  Jalen Ramsey going to the Dolphins is nothing to worry about either.  But Connor McGovern is the move that will solidify our O-Line and push us over the top.  Ugh.  Kansas City just won another Super Bowl, and they are out aggressively upgrading the O-Line.  We spent most of Day 1 re-signing special teams-only guys.

The stadium is another kick in the pants.  Buffalo was good just long enough for fans to get all excited about the team, allowing the city/state to push through tax approval.  I wonder how people are going to feel about that deal when the Bills finish in 3rd place the next couple seasons.

Jets are about to add Aaron Rodgers and Lazard. The dolphins got better. I’m fine with letting edmunds walk but if we only sign McGovern we simply got worse. The real kick in the teeth will be when we waste a first rounder on a safety as if that helps josh at all

5 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Jets are about to add Aaron Rodgers and Lazard. The dolphins got better. I’m fine with letting edmunds walk but if we only sign McGovern we simply got worse. The real kick in the teeth will be when we waste a first rounder on a safety as if that helps josh at all

I can almost guarantee you that McGovern won’t be our biggest move of the off-season. 

Id be shocked if a legitimate weapon isn’t added somehow, someway.  

6 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

Jets will have to give up a lot for a 40-year QB who it appears doesn't really want to be there. I expect he will sign with the Jets ($$$$) but how invested is he with them. The Jets will be good this year and maybe next (assuming Rodgers plays a 2nd year there) but after that they will be looking for a QB again.

2 minutes ago, BeavercreekBillsFan said:

For the Bills, the damage has already been done with poor/mediocre drafting.  Now they are stuck.

They can either overpay badly to try and stay on top in the AFC East.  Or they can be smart with contracts, let talent walk out the door, and then watch themselves slip to the third best team in the division.  Both options suck.

Re-signing Tremaine Edmunds at that price tag would have been foolish.  But now we have a massive hole at Middle Linebacker.

What does Brandon Beane do?  He can throw that money at a DIFFERENT overpriced player, and then not have the cap space to upgrade all the weak positions on the roster.  Or he can sign a bunch of average roster filler (like Connor McGovern), which barely moves the needle.  Both options suck.

In reality, the root of the problem is that we spent a 3rd Round Pick on a linebacker (Terrell Bernard), and he doesn't appear ready to take over the spot being vacated by Edmunds.  This is a failure in roster building.  You can say similar things about other positions on the roster like Running Back, Guard, Tackle, Wide Receiver, Defensive End, Defensive Tackle, Safety.  Hit on those picks, and it doesn't hurt letting overpriced talent walk.

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I can almost guarantee you that McGovern won’t be our biggest move of the off-season. 

Id be shocked if a legitimate weapon isn’t added somehow, someway.  

SO excited for when we throw $7-10 million per year at mediocre talent like Mecole Hardman, DJ Chark or Jakobi Meyers... then fans have to pretend they are actually good players who will truly improve this roster.  Yuck.

11 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Dude, so it was the defense’s fault when they scored like 3 points in Jacksonville? It’s a team game and we had the number 1 defense 2 years in a row. 100% are the reason for the KC loss but far often than not, they were really good.

do you think we will have a better defense next year?

Josh Allen wasn't on the 2017 team that played in Jacksonville in the playoffs.  That was the Tyrod Taylor handicapped offense my friend.  

The defense has not been good enough in the playoffs.  That is undisputed.  But the team overall has not been good enough in the playoffs, including coaching.  Lets hope the Cincinnati game was a big time awakening for the organization from top to bottom.  

45 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

For the Bills, the damage has already been done with poor/mediocre drafting.  Now they are stuck.

They can either overpay badly to try and stay on top in the AFC East.  Or they can be smart with contracts, let talent walk out the door, and then watch themselves slip to the third best team in the division.  Both options suck.

Re-signing Tremaine Edmunds at that price tag would have been foolish.  But now we have a massive hole at Middle Linebacker.

What does Brandon Beane do?  He can throw that money at a DIFFERENT overpriced player, and then not have the cap space to upgrade all the weak positions on the roster.  Or he can sign a bunch of average roster filler (like Connor McGovern), which barely moves the needle.  Both options suck.

In reality, the root of the problem is that we spent a 3rd Round Pick on a linebacker (Terrell Bernard), and he doesn't appear ready to take over the spot being vacated by Edmunds.  This is a failure in roster building.  You can say similar things about other positions on the roster like Running Back, Guard, Tackle, Wide Receiver, Defensive End, Defensive Tackle, Safety.  Hit on those picks, and it doesn't hurt letting overpriced talent walk.

SO excited for when we throw $7-10 million per year at mediocre talent like Mecole Hardman, DJ Chark or Jakobi Meyers... then fans have to pretend they are actually good players who will truly improve this roster.  Yuck.

That's a pretty dark summary of where our team stands right now.  Do you think at this point in his career that Rodgers is leading the Jets anywhere?  He is done.  He knows it.  And so do the Packers.   The Dolphins are the Dolphins.  Lots of hype, but they still have Tua, a bad O line, and a bunch of overpriced names like Bradley Chubb on defense.  The Bills are still the class of the division.  The Bernard pick was questionable.  Not sure what they saw in this kid that makes him a 3rd round pick.  I think Baylen Spector has some upside.  Kid played at Clemson.  They teach strong defense there.   And he looked good in the preseason.  But then the Biils never dressed him.  They need to start playing guys they draft.  

I don't know a lot about McGovern.  But he played a lot on a good Cowboys O line.  He has to be an upgrade over the turnstile that was Saffold.  Beane has to start hitting on his free agent signings and draft choices.  The roster is not nearly as good as we thought going into last season.  But its not a mess, except for the O line. 

Letting Edmunds go was a smart move by the team.  Can't pay big money for mediocrity.  Lets hope two months from now after the draft and free agency are over, that the roster is taking shape in a real solid way.  Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Be careful what you wish for because the Buffalo Bills have a lot of holes now and I could see the Buffalo Bills completely missing the playoffs next season than bye, bye Sean McDermott than if the Bills still continue to decline bye, bye Stefon Diggs. The only Buffalo Bills player safe regardless what happens in the next few years is QB Josh Allen because PSE needs him to be the face of the Bills franchise to transition the Bills into sky high ticket prices along with huge PSL’s along with $100 parking spots in the new Bills stadium enjoy the Bills village control tailgates for the $100 dollars if I had to guess. It will be fun but the Bills tailgaters are going to get some real surprises from PSE new “Haunted House”. That is what BSF is calling the new Bills stadium the “Haunted House” it’s going to scare a lot of Bills fans the prices. It’s coming just wait so many Bills fans are going to feel foolish for not asking more than what they are going to get in the new Bills stadium even though they will pay like any other NFL around the country and get way less have fun at the new “Haunted House” in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

But the important part is that you wore an onion on your belt...as was the style at the time.

• Haha (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Josh Allen wasn't on the 2017 team that played in Jacksonville in the playoffs.  That was the Tyrod Taylor handicapped offense my friend.  

The defense has not been good enough in the playoffs.  That is undisputed.  But the team overall has not been good enough in the playoffs, including coaching.  Lets hope the Cincinnati game was a big time awakening for the organization from top to bottom.  

I meant that awful regular season game where their Josh Allen was the better Josh Allen. 

the defense helped Allen grow into the player he is because he wasn’t forced to carry the team right away. Allen improved every year but he wasn’t the same player in his first 2 years as he is today. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.