Edmunds to Bears

Roundybout

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I just felt like they attacked more with Luke and used Edmunds more off the ball.  

I wonder if seeing what happened to Luke changed the defense a bit. Edmunds definitely isn’t a traditional thumper but in todays nfl, you don’t really have to be.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Bills could have easily traded Milano for a decent pick and then paid Edmunds. 

I think they just value Milano more. 

I don’t disagree that they value MIlano more, and they should.  I would have kept Milano over Edmunds too, especially since he’s cheaper.  

Milano is the Jordan Poyer of LBs…a guy who leaves it all on the field, among the best at his position, but for a long time didn’t get the credit he deserved around the league.  It was nice to see him get some recognition this year and get rewarded with another contract extension.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, balln said:

Blue chip ? I don’t think he is. They used a #1 and traded 2 2nd rounders to move up. you way over value him and especially w intangible praise - captain and quarterback of the D.

he’s just NOT worth it. And not worth it for this team at this time point. I actually have restored faith in beane. Sometimes it’s the MoVES you don’t make that are the right moves. 

and also - bills may get a 3rd comp pick so it’s not nothing 

He's worth it. But not when the Bills are in cap trouble.

He's a blue-chipper. That's why he's getting that salary. They'll fill the spot, but it'll hurt us more than many here think. There's been very little throwing to the middle against this defense. Lose Edmunds, and Poyer at the same time, and we'll see more. 

But that's life.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wonder if seeing what happened to Luke changed the defense a bit. Edmunds definitely isn’t a traditional thumper but in todays nfl, you don’t really have to be.

except maybe in the playoffs

• Agree 1

I’m more disappointed we couldn’t extend him last year for 14 million or so.  Hindsight is 20/20 though and he had by far his best year to strike it rich.  Good for him.  Glad he went to an irrelevant team in the NFC.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

yes huge mistakes. I dont blame them for Von Miller, he is a great pass rusher and that is so important, just got injured. But White was stupid and Knox was next-level stupid

You do realize White signed before he blew out his ACL? And at the time was clearly considered one of the best young CB’s in the league?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Schick said:

You do realize White signed before he blew out his ACL? And at the time was clearly considered one of the best young CB’s in the league?

It’s so wild that stuff that gets throw around. White was considered one of the best cbs in the nfl. Then he gets hurt and now it’s a huge mistake? Fans love overreacting 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Milano is a Bill and Tremaine isn't because Milano got drafted and paid first.  We couldn't afford to pay both, and need to invest in the offense as well.  Especially with what Tremaine got in the open market.  But keep you biased hit campaign going, I know its your schtick.  

Yup. Exactly.

Also had to do with what Milano got on the open market. And may well have had to do with Milano giving us a bit of a home town discount, though there's no real way to be sure.

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

Tremaine is the new Shaq Lawson. We will see you back in 2 years bro.

Hope not!  Thank God we no longer have to hear how great he is because “teams don’t throw in his area, he prevents so many passes”!  All those guys who kept telling us how great he was , how most of us could never grasp all he did for us , can STFU as the great Brandon Beane (who “we all trust in”) didn’t even see the value to resign this defensive “leader”!    Finally the eye test meets up actually how valued he was.  Of course they will still argue he was so great he just out priced what we could afford ,,,even tho we know he could have been resigned earlier if the Bills brain trust had believed the hype we all had to endure. 

So the Bears get their next star LB , their next BUTKUS, their next BRIAN URLACHER, their next MIKE SINGLETARY!   Yep, TRE always came to mind as well when those names were mentioned, and now he can take his one standout , highlight tackle in the flat against the Fins , and become the next monster of the midway!   No doubt, the Bears are all set as TRE will get them from having had the overall #1 pick , to dominating the NFC ( despite the Eagles, 49ers , cowgirls, and even Giants and Vikings still on the move).!   

Good luck w that BEARS,,,you just got the antithesis of the aforementioned great , intense, HOF linebackers , with his charmin-like hard hitting , tackle from behind, pile on, arm tackling , he’s so young , stud that will lead your D in playoff time where his play level rises, to a SB run for the life of his contract!  Personally, I would be happier to see Shaq back than relive the Tremaine tenure as we all can forever remember the great defensive results of the past two divisional playoff LOSSES !  The point being , you play to win the SB, and we barely sniffed a chance with one AFC championship appearance with our great statistical defense.

I’m excited to see what happens if they add a real productive LB with the super talented Milano !  ( would love to see the bills load up with someone like Jack Campbell behind a vet, add a legit rb like dijon, get a true #2 wr as a vet FA addition plus draft a young wr and tackle / guard in addition to McGovern , and i would not regret losing TRE, and I bet you guys will end up happier as well).    It’s a new part of the process, and it should be better with experience, and all the “learning” opportunities.

( look , I think Tre is a great, standout young man who was probably used in a way that limited his visible impact in the big picture and maybe his best football is ahead of him. But its time to quit throwing money at the D yearly, and  time to stick by a firm limit to spend on certain positions, and support the best player , Josh , as the AFC is becoming loaded.  Just the afc east is going to b a dog fight so it’s time to maximize your best asset and best chance to make it to the SB and that means not spending 50 mil$ guaranteed on a better than avg ILB. Hopefully money gets shifted to making our O better , as like the chiefs, a great offense is our best shot to compete) 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1 - LK is a borderline HOF and was born with MLB instincts. So that’s a hard comparison.

2 - https://buffalowdown.com/2023/02/17/buffalo-bills-tremaine-edmunds-pff-improved/amp/

its pff so take it for it’s worth but TE was the best cover LB last year.

I get the money but it’s crazy that with an awful DC and a soft MLB we had the number one defense. 

How much do lbs get in trades? Honestly, I don’t remember a big return for a LB. Also, Milano is cheaper. That helps too. I think MM is the better player but if the costs were similar, it would be a tougher decision. 

I never watched Edmunds and came away impressed with him as a player, but I can’t deny that the team’s performance was dramatically better when he was in the lineup compared to when he wasn’t.   He was going to get a bag from someone that the Bills couldn’t match.  It’ll be interesting to see if he earns it.  

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That length and athleticism will be tough to replace.

They aren't going to try to replace his length and athleticism. They're going to have to tweak the scheme to account for a different skill set in the middle of the defense. Personally I take this as a positive.

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

we can’t play everyone but I think TE might be the one FA we really regret losing.

LB is a position like RB or safety, it's hard to imagine truly "regretting" the loss. What's the worst case scenario? If Edmunds goes on to be a superstar MLB for the Bears, we only lost out on a non-premium position player and opened up cap space to fill in other needs on the offense. If his replacement doesn't perform well I still won't regret losing him. I may regret that we didn't properly scout his replacement but that's not the same thing.

The far more likely outcome is that the team giving a non-premium position player a massive deal after his best season came in a contract year will come to regret it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Milano is a Bill and Tremaine isn't because Milano got drafted and paid first.  We couldn't afford to pay both, and need to invest in the offense as well.  Especially with what Tremaine got in the open market.  But keep you biased hit campaign going, I know its your schtick.  

Milano is a Bill and Tremaine isn’t because Milano was a better LB than Tremaine, and was valued by the Bills accordingly.

But maybe the Bears will get Tremaine in space with a new HC who knows how to use him. Lmao.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I think that's a mistake too. They shoulda tried to keep both but if you are gonna lose 1, I'd rather it be Milano.

you can teach what Milano does, you can't teach what Edmunds has in terms of skills and length

Edmunds ain’t bad by any means but he certainly wasn’t learning the things you supposedly  can teach lol

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.