Edmunds to Bears

Roundybout

The Bears have film on Edmunds from his college days through this past season. They know what they’re getting and have a plan to use his talents how they see best. People here acting like the Bears will be surprised with what he can and can’t do is just plain dumb. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Edmunds was never as good as his biggest fans claimed nor as bad as his biggest detractors claimed.

A plus defender against the pass, and an average to below average defender against the run. A very unique player. Not many like him in the NFL. He's somewhat of a linebacker/safety hybrid, to be honest.

At any rate....the Bills defense will look quite different next season. The best part is that we won't have to hear the endless Edmunds debate any more.

Well said.

Many here wanted to see a guy who could quickly diagnose a play, hit the right gap, shed blocks, and be a thumper. Nope.

Tremaine was more of a lanky safety that could cover a lot of ground, get in the way of passes, and prevent 5 yard plays from turning into 15-20 yard plays.

He was very good at reading and reacting to a QBs eyes, but guys like Mahomes could use their eyes to work him like a joystick to free up space in the secondary.

Good QBs we run into down the stretch can do that well.

This defense missed him when he was not on the field, but not enough that it would justify taking on a crippling salary.

We did not see the TFLs, the INTs, the FFs one would hope to see, but some of that was scheme, some just the way Tremaine played.

I felt he had improved each year, but the problem with drafting a player high for their upside, and investing years to realize that potential, is that the player simply cashes out once they turn the corner.

Not blaming him, it was the obvious move for Edmunds.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

That is how he was used here.  I have said for a while, the thing most people hate the most about Edmunds has more to do with how he is used in our system.  No one compared him Urlacher, one of the best LBs of the past 30 years.  But, I think Edmunds is going to show he is more than what he was here now that he is in Chicago.

I guess we’ll see.  He did just have his best year so he could still be ascending.  He is young in case you didn’t know!

I have yet to see any other skills to envision much of a role change.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Remember when people ran Hughes out of town last year because he couldn't get sacks after a 2 sack season?  Well he put up 9 sacks this year in Houston after supposedly being washed.  Hughes averaged 4 sacks in 5 seasons with Frazier, and 8 sacks in 5 seasons without Frazier, including this past year with 3 seasons of 9 or more.  

I have a feeling Edmunds is going to be even better now that he is not stuck with Frazier anymore.  Just like how London Fletcher was never the issue despite this whole board making him the "Edmunds" like whipping boy while he was here.  

I was fine for cap reasons not resigning him, but don't be surprised when Edmunds really excels in Chicago.

I think Bills fans love their players as much as any base  I also think most wanted to love Edmunds,  he didn't make it easy, IMO.

Good dude and I wish him well.

Edited by White Linen
  • Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Dopey said:

The Bears have film on Edmunds from his college days through this past season. They know what they’re getting and have a plan to use his talents how they see best. People here acting like the Bears will be surprised with what he can and can’t do is just plain dumb. 

One of the few voice of reasons here

• Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds was the centerpiece of the Leslie Frazier defensive scheme. Without Frazier, it's even harder to justify paying him that kind of coin. 

I'm excited to see what's next for the Bills D, but it always Sucks to watch a blue-chip, freak athlete, team captain, quarterback of the defense just walk out the door for no compensation whatsoever. Especially at such a young age. 

As Bills fans, I think we all know what's coming next - In Chicago, Edmunds blossoms into the greatest LB of his generation for the next ten years. Wins 3 titles and multiple DPOYs. Key to the city, free kielbasa for life. 

Edited by skibum
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is how he was used here.  I have said for a while, the thing most people hate the most about Edmunds has more to do with how he is used in our system.  No one compared him Urlacher, one of the best LBs of the past 30 years.  But, I think Edmunds is going to show he is more than what he was here now that he is in Chicago.

37 minutes ago, Dopey said:

The cope is reaching critical mass.

Our little MLB physical wonder is going to be the same poor instincts, wrong gap filling, not worth paying guy he was in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

Well said.

Many here wanted to see a guy who could quickly diagnose a play, hit the right gap, shed blocks, and be a thumper. Nope.

Tremaine was more of a lanky safety that could cover a lot of ground, get in the way of passes, and prevent 5 yard plays from turning into 15-20 yard plays.

He was very good at reading and reacting to a QBs eyes, but guys like Mahomes could use their eyes to work him like a joystick to free up space in the secondary.

Good QBs we run into down the stretch can do that well.

This defense missed him when he was not on the field, but not enough that it would justify taking on a crippling salary.

We did not see the TFLs, the INTs, the FFs one would hope to see, but some of that was scheme, some just the way Tremaine played.

I felt he had improved each year, but the problem with drafting a player high for their upside, and investing years to realize that potential, is that the player simply cashes out once they turn the corner.

Not blaming him, it was the obvious move for Edmunds.

Loved that “worked him like a joystick.”  Prolly true for elite QBs,  but OCs had to game plan for him.  Hope he plays like $70 million.  

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Edmunds was the centerpiece of the Leslie Frazier defensive scheme. Without Frazier, it's even harder to justify paying him that kind of coin. 

I'm excited to see what's next for the Bills D, but it always Sucks to watch a blue-chip, freak athlete, team captain, quarterback of the defense just walk out the door for no compensation whatsoever. Especially at such a young age. 

As Bills fans, I think we all know what's coming next - In Chicago, Edmunds blossoms into the greatest LB of his generation for the next ten years. Wins 3 titles and multiple DPOYs. Key to the city, free kielbasa for life. 

And yummy deep dished pizza by the truck loads 🍕

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why do you think he was attempted to be used any differently than Luke Keuchley, who had a huge career in a McD system.  That's where my ceiling for Edmunds was.  I'm not attacking, honestly curious.

2 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

It’s like if the 80s bills lost Darryl Talley in 1988 or something. They don’t go to a SB if that happened and this team won’t either

certain players you have to hang onto. QB, LT, QBs favorite Weapon, MLB, Pass rusher

you don’t pay guys like Tre White and an average tight end big money and cost yourself one of those core players. They are just squandering away the window 

(Mods please don’t ban me for having an opinion)

***ALERT***

Due to having an opinion, you have been banned for 3 seconds.  I hope you've learned your lesson.  Join the collective or perish.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Man, I was so excited and had such high expectations when we drafted him.  I always hoped that "the next game" he would surprise me and play with more instinct, but that never materialized.

He was a very frustrating player to watch all these years.  Kinda like a really big kid that didn't know how big he was, which showed through on how hesitant he was in his tackling.

In the end, I'm relieved he's gone.

Oh... and Matt Milano is 10 times the player Edmunds is.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Blue chip ? I don’t think he is. They used a #1 and traded 2 2nd rounders to move up. you way over value him and especially w intangible praise - captain and quarterback of the D.

he’s just NOT worth it. And not worth it for this team at this time point. I actually have restored faith in beane. Sometimes it’s the MoVES you don’t make that are the right moves. 

and also - bills may get a 3rd comp pick so it’s not nothing 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WMDman said:

interested to see the numbers

4 years $72 Million with $50 million guaranteed . No way Beane was going to pay that & i can't blame him he wasn't worth that kind of money sorry ...

At least he's not int the AFC that would have sucked if the Pats or Fins would have paid him .

Edited by T master

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.