Edmunds to Bears

Roundybout

We have needs on offense that 18 million can go far. 49 can be very good but he can also take bad angles and be incredibly bad. He’s too inconsistent for a contract pushing 20 mill a year. I wish him well since he’s going from a Super Bowl contender to a team that won’t see the playoffs for at least two years. good luck man 

13 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

He was good, we will miss him, but I would never pay him that much.

Really curious how our defense will look like next year. I will be very weird and different without Edmunds.

The funniest thing was if we had the cap room, this board would be over the moon if we signed a 24 year old with his tools and production. 

8 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I know some folks will not agree...But this gives me so much hope for the immediate future of the Bills.

The Bills had to do some serious gut-checking this off season. The most likely move would have been to re-sign Tremaine at silly money. In fact I'm still a little shocked they didn't. But he's just not THAT good. He's OK, don't get me wrong. But he's no where near an 18M AAV player...He's just not...The Spotrac and OverTheCap Market Value numbers were MUCH closer to reality than what he got. And Beane did the right thing. I know how hard it must have been for McBeane because they love the kid. But this was the right football move. 

I swear...This gives me great hope that they are going to fix what needs to be fixed...It really does. B-)

You also have to consider he had his best year in a contract year and just got paid.  Is this an upswing or a peak?

• Agree 1

Just now, Fallser said:

Enjoy the cash Tremaine and congrats. 

…that’s all your getting out of Chicago land that clown show. 

I will bet anyone on their win total. They are moving in the right direction.

Just now, GaryPinC said:

You also have to consider he had his best year in a contract year and just got paid.  Is this an upswing or a peak?

He’s 24!

Tremaine is a good, solid player and teammate. I'm happy that he's getting paid but at that price I'm also happy it's not us who is having to pay him. As far back as his draft scouting reports, and pretty much continuously since, his perceived lack of instincts (accounting in the opinion of some for the lack of big plays) has been flagged as a weakness. The Bills obviously hoped this aptitude would develop but it would seem that the needle has pretty much remained where it always was. To me the Bears are paying as though this issue had been favourably resolved. I see no evidence that it has. 
It will be most interesting to see the Bears fans reactions as the season progresses now that Tremaine is replacing Roquan, who imo is  better. Bears picked him ahead of where Tremaine was taken when they were drafted. I'll also be interested to see if the Bears use him in the same or in different ways than the Bills. The guy's physical attributes are so impressive that some change to his responsibilities might lead to better results.

2 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

You think he's going to be sitting there with $50,000,000 in his bank account and zero playoff games he's going to be happy with his career?  When he could have had $45,000,000 and playoffs every year and possibly super bowls?  You don't think a super bowl player can make up that $5 mil extra in appearances?  Nobody is paying the LB from one of the worst teams for appearances when they can get the guys that were in the super bowl

Did you have the Eagles wirh Hurts making the SB before the Bills with Allen?

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

We have needs on offense that 18 million can go far. 49 can be very good but he can also take bad angles and be incredibly bad. He’s too inconsistent for a contract pushing 20 mill a year. I wish him well since he’s going from a Super Bowl contender to a team that won’t see the playoffs for at least two years. good luck man 

Not saying Edmunds is this guy, but there's a certain type of player who is okay-but-nothing special for his first several seasons, blows up during his contract year, and signs the richest offer sheet put up by a perennial laughingstock when he hits FA.  Those guys don't tend to work out.  

Now, Edmunds is an unusual case because he was so young when he entered the league.  But still.

• Agree 1

Mixed feelings.

Pretty sure that Tremaine Edmunds won't be worth the highest Linebacker contract in the entire NFL.  You have to be smart with extensions, and I can't blame the Bills for letting him walk for that.  However, this does significantly hurt our defense.  As will the very likely loss of Jordan Poyer.  

Many of us (myself included) would much rather see the Bills use those dollars on upgrading the offensive side of the ball.  Unfortunately, I anticipate our front office making it a bigger priority to replace Edmunds/Poyer.  Which means we probably use up our cap space without moving the needle on offense.  More average/subpar signings that will hopefully compete for starting spots.  Meh.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Bears had the most money to spend in FA so not surprised. They probably overpaid and Bills had no choice but to let him go.

I agree. He's not worth 18 mil. a year. However, the Bills do have a major hole to fill now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just feels like a same old Bills free agency. A defensive player we use a 1st round pick on walks entering his prime, but hey, here’s a crappy guard. Next up is a backup TE and a substitution package edge rusher who doesn’t have any bend. But don’t worry, there’ll be a washed WR at some point. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.