Conner McGovern to Bills

Buffalo_Stampede

3 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

LG is cool now go and sign Seamalu or Risner for RG and have Bates as the interior backup to all 3 spots. I would feel pretty darn good going into the draft if that was our online.

Need RT upgrade… if that means keeping Bates as a starter I’m good 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, TheBeaneBandit said:

Like I said if free agency doesn't add competition they definitely will probably focus on the draft in rounds 2 or 3 imo.

Im actually looking for an upgrade,,, not just someone to compete with him,,,

I’d be happy with him as the Swing tackle in 2023…

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im actually looking for an upgrade,,, not just someone to compete with him,,,

I’d be happy with him as the Swing tackle in 2023…

I'm not against this, but I do also believe Brown probably surprises many here. I know how much back problems can hinder you and the dude had back surgery and never got to train for the season. We shall see on him and one way or another they will bring someone in. 

40 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Looks like we are continuing on playing the finesse game. What’s wrong with finding lineman that can run and pass protect. We need more balance in the offense. Especially late in the year when the weather changes

Because those guys aren't typically let go by teams and signed to long term extensions.  And if the hit the market, they get insane money.  I mean Juwan Taylor a RT just got an $80 million dollar contact to play LT where he's never played before.

I'm more of a believer in drafting and developing offensive line talent.  It seems like, I could be wrong, but it seems like that big offensive lineman contracts bust more often than any other unit.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

That would all be nice.  Yeah, the Bills are not a power-blocking run team.

FWIW though Sal Capaccio quoted him as saying the plan is for him to play LG:

Same.  I just have the sinking feeling Beane will be drafting LB, DL and safety.  His mouth says "we've got to protect the QB" and "we've got to have a run game besides Josh Allen" but his draft board doesn't seem to line up with that.

I think they might just be saying this right now so everyone knows Saffold's out. 

39 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Looks like we are continuing on playing the finesse game. What’s wrong with finding lineman that can run and pass protect. We need more balance in the offense. Especially late in the year when the weather changes

Our running game works best in pin and pull concepts when we get our athletic lineman on the move out in space. That's where McGovern is much better in his run blocking. 

We had a RG who was actually pretty good in the straight ahead power run game. Cody Ford. 

I'll take a top 15 pass protector who's good on the move over a power blocker who gets blown past in pass pro. 

1 hour ago, BillMafia716ix said:

Because those guys are usually 15 million a year 

3 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

Because those guys are usually 15 million a year 

Powers got 4/51 a contract like that could be done friendly to the cap. That's likely more cap friendly than Poyer's deal. I honestly don't see Morse here forever, and frankly Dawkins is not the stud and unquestioned bookend people think he is. Very quickly we could be depleted on the oline...and not spending much money on it with those 2 gone in 1-2 years.

I really thought we needed to get one of the top Gs available in FA instead of some fringe depth guys, which we could have replaced by young guys on the draft, or UDFA. 

Its especially more important when you figure the team has been lousy at evaluating OL talent...both FAs and Draft picks. We don't have the track record with middle of the road gems in the rough that gives me blinding confidence. Guys like Feliciano, Spain, Nsekhe...then dudes like Van Roten, Quessenberry, Saffold...etc... there's a ton of flops....or at least guys who were avg at best.  

I thought it was a given the Bills were going to open up the pocket books for at least one top OL. Seems I was wrong, though there are a couple still out there I like.

Edited by RichRiderBills

12 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Good interview….  and all that.

I think we have a new one to add to the list...Marrone's "obviously", McD's clapping...

How many times does McGovern say "and all that" in his interviews?

On 3/16/2023 at 11:50 AM, TheBeaneBandit said:

LG is cool now go and sign Seamalu or Risner for RG and have Bates as the interior backup to all 3 spots. I would feel pretty darn good going into the draft if that was our online.

We don’t have the $ and they like Bates. RT is the next OL move. 

On 3/16/2023 at 3:47 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Because those guys aren't typically let go by teams and signed to long term extensions.  And if the hit the market, they get insane money.  I mean Juwan Taylor a RT just got an $80 million dollar contact to play LT where he's never played before.

I'm more of a believer in drafting and developing offensive line talent.  It seems like, I could be wrong, but it seems like that big offensive lineman contracts bust more often than any other unit.  

The lineman pool is 40% thinner than 20 years ago

the pool of nfl caliber lineman gets thinner by the year with the spread 

Teams need to develop more now than ever … udfa like Bates is proof athletes are there that need development 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/16/2023 at 5:26 PM, RichRiderBills said:

Powers got 4/51 a contract like that could be done friendly to the cap. That's likely more cap friendly than Poyer's deal. I honestly don't see Morse here forever, and frankly Dawkins is not the stud and unquestioned bookend people think he is. Very quickly we could be depleted on the oline...and not spending much money on it with those 2 gone in 1-2 years.

I really thought we needed to get one of the top Gs available in FA instead of some fringe depth guys, which we could have replaced by young guys on the draft, or UDFA. 

Its especially more important when you figure the team has been lousy at evaluating OL talent...both FAs and Draft picks. We don't have the track record with middle of the road gems in the rough that gives me blinding confidence. Guys like Feliciano, Spain, Nsekhe...then dudes like Van Roten, Quessenberry, Saffold...etc... there's a ton of flops....or at least guys who were avg at best.  

I thought it was a given the Bills were going to open up the pocket books for at least one top OL. Seems I was wrong, though there are a couple still out there I like.

I think the misconception that fans have is that players are automatically going to come to your team just because you have the money it’s more than that. It’s about relationships with agents and a lot of other considerations.

What we have not seen this year, which is kind of confused and concerned me a little bit as we haven’t seen an influx of talent coming in, wanting to play on a contender

It’s not that we’re not a contender we are

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.