Conner McGovern to Bills

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Yantha said:

Based on how he plays OG.  It’s simple.  He can’t open holes in the running game.  Slightly better in pass protection.  I watch football…..

He is significantly better at pass protection. He’s one of the Top 20 guards in pass pro. 

Be more accurate. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Again, this is covered in the grading methodology if you cared to have read it. Kelce is making baseless assumptions without supporting evidence. Also, while football has a lot going on, it's a game filled with knowns. There are wrinkles in how each play is designed, but it's not exactly common for a player to have a responsibility on a play that's never happened before.

"Baseless assumption?"  You don't know the play or the check offs or the audibles.  They do not know the entire responsibility of the player.  Neither does the PFF grader which is what Kelce is saying.

So now its with you:

PFF > Bills

PFF > Kelce's

Where's your supporting evidence?  A PFF link where you don't have a subscription to isn't evidence lol.  

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

https://nypost.com/2022/09/24/travis-kelces-stunning-accusation-about-pro-football-focus-grades/

“The thing is that these PFF graders are grading off of what they think the play should be,” Travis Kelce said. “Whereas we might have a specific fundamental or we might have a specific call that takes us into something else and the play doesn’t work. … The graders don’t necessarily know the objective of the play and the fundamentals that we’re being taught.”

That’s a common criticism of the site, but Travis later added to it.

“I also think that there [are] agents out here paying guys to get higher grades than others,” he said. “I won’t name any names.”

There are football players who say the earth is flat. I’m hardly going to take one random players opinion over the 32 NFL teams (including the Bills) who pay PFF for their service.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

There are football players who say the earth is flat. I’m hardly going to take one random players opinion over the 32 NFL teams (including the Bills) who pay PFF for their service.

Do you honestly think the Bills pay PFF for player grades?  Why pay a front office millions to evaluate talent when you can get a PFF subscription for $12.99 a month?  Why watch so much film on a player when you can just click on a player profile and read about it on PFF?

Eric Wood was on WGR and talked about how he's skeptical about PFF for basically the same reason as Lang described.  Wood said he was pulling and didn't get to his block quick enough and was graded negatively.  He didn't get to his block because the guard got pushed into the backfield and he had to reroute last second.

He actually should have been graded positively because he didn't get caught up and was still able to get at least a little body the guy.  But PFF said he was late and didn't clear out the blocker like he was supposed to.  He mentioned the OL coaches grades and the PFF grades would always be drastically different.

https://www.cbsnews.com/detroit/news/tj-lang-pro-football-focus-is-absolute-garbage/

"But they don't know anything about identification, what offensive linemen are supposed to do. They think if a guy blitzes off the edge, that's automatically the tackle's block, but a lot of times that's not the case. They've always graded me well, which I don't mind, but I still don't respect it," Lang said.

Apparently, most NFL players feel the same way.

"I know most of the guys that I've played with absolutely hate it, just because it's started to gain so much steam now where Sunday Night Football, Thursday Night Football, they're actually showing stats up there for the players," said Lang. "I think it's absolute garbage and I think most players do."

55 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We've heard players say that the grades they get from their position coaches are often different than the grades they get from PFF.   Teams may have subscriptions to Sports Illustrated, that doesn't mean they agree with every opinion it puts out.  Same with PFF.

I really doubt that Beans trusts PFF more than his own pro scouts.   I think the main reason the Bills use PFF is for negotiations when the PFF grade might suggest a lower market price.

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Beane sure loves his positional flexibility.

Like Bates, this guy is better suited as a versatile depth piece not a starter.

I’m trying to figure out if you have ever said anything positive on this site like ever, I mean like ever

Looks like a quality, young guard who has gotten plenty of starter snaps who has flexibility to play three different positions

Doesn’t commit holding penalties

Doesn’t give up sacks

And came at $2 million cheaper than the name recognition guards then Ben Powers got the ridiculous contract

People stop looking at the name on the back of the jersey look at their physical traits and their production. This is what team does, so this is what you should do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Erik Turner at Cover 1 likes him

I mean Erik likes almost every move the Bills make. He is a massive homer. I bet there is a puff video last year of Roger Saffold blowing people up in the run game. 

McGovern is a better get than Saffold though. He is more solid starter than the lock it down guard I'd have hoped for but they need to prioritise protecting Josh Allen and McGovern has a good anchor in pass pro. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LEBills said:

Nice video as usual by Cover 1. McGovern had some nice reps against some very good DTs in that video

Yeah, it was a great video. I just came here to post it if it hadn't been posted here.

Didn't know much about him, to be honest. 

I wish Cover1 had posted a few run reps, but he showed a lot of protection reps against some really strong defenders and McGovern looked good.

Edited by Thurman#1

3 hours ago, Motor26 said:

I just don’t get these middling signings. Why not just go all in for a top guy? They just created 32 million in space by restructuring Allen and Von. Hope they go after one of the top right tackles and draft an IOL early.

I think you just answered your own question
We didn’t create $32 million in cab space we were in the hole in cab space we signed some guys and we did some restructures that leave us at what 15 million max

You have to make that money stretch that means you have to trust your scout in department, to find legit players names

I am way less concerned by the name on the back of the jersey that I am about the physical attribute make up of the player

We still have positions that we need to fortify

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean Erik likes almost every move the Bills make. He is a massive homer. I bet there is a puff video last year of Roger Saffold blowing people up in the run game. 

Joe Marino liked it, too.

As for the Saffold thing... most would agree that Saffold was pretty good before this year, so you might be right about the "puff video," but that wouldn't necessarily be an indictment so much on Cover 1 as Saffold's free fall this season.

Are you sure this isn't just an ego driven post trying to slam others who do what you do?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Motor26 said:

I just don’t get these middling signings. Why not just go all in for a top guy? They just created 32 million in space by restructuring Allen and Von. Hope they go after one of the top right tackles and draft an IOL early.

..because you failed math

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He was a good pass blocker in Dallas

He was an average pass blocker in Dallas and a terrible run blocker. I pray we don't have to play him. I'll say this for him however. He's no worse than Bates. If he's a starter along with Morse and Brown, we will again have a bottom 6 OL. I guess this comes from having a defensive HC. OBD just doesn't see any value in a good OL apparently. Both McGovern and Bates should be backups.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.