Conner McGovern to Bills

Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

His 2021 number was 69 so we'll see what we're getting.  And for those of you that are skeptical of all PFF, give me a better alternative.  I'll use it immediately. 

My comment was on his season and injury.  I should not have even posted something about PFF.  I am never going to base players on that system.

I will have to live with the NFL teams and their staff to make judgements.

My philosophy is to fill holes with mid-level FAs and use the draft to find long term players.  Chasing big name FAs (especially IOLs) is risky at best.

Their play is tough to measure due to the "teamwork" needed.  Cowboys OL was decimated with injuries last season.

Beane (I hope) uses some draft capital to add to the OL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You want to give Orlando brown 80million or something? 
Look at the OL in KC, Philly, Cincinnati. Look at the OL's the Patriots gave Brady. It matters. It helps a lot. People don't think it matters because OLinemen don't score TD's (except Doyle), but skill players don't score either if the guys up front don't do their job. I don't know what Orlando Brown will command after not living up to expectations in KC and it doesn't have to be him specifically, but we will need to spend to upgrade the OL. High caliber OL like getting paid too. I hope they aren't paying this guy starter money. If not, OK, but McGovern and Bates as starting G's doesn't inspire confidence. He's not the worst, but I believe we have to aim higher if we want to win a SB.
Why is it so wrong to want a guy like Wyatt Teller or Joe Thuney?

I'm sure Beane will still address the line in the 1st few rounds of the draft - but this allows for a little more flexibility.  If Bijan Robinson or Jordan Addison is still there when we pick in the 1st, we can take whoever is there, and still get a guard or tackle (or one of those versatile guys we like) in the 2nd or 3rd.

4 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You want to give Orlando brown 80million or something? 
Look at the OL in KC, Philly, Cincinnati. Look at the OL's the Patriots gave Brady. It matters. It helps a lot. People don't think it matters because OLinemen don't score TD's (except Doyle), but skill players don't score either if the guys up front don't do their job. I don't know what Orlando Brown will command after not living up to expectations in KC and it doesn't have to be him specifically, but we will need to spend to upgrade the OL. High caliber OL like getting paid too. I hope they aren't paying this guy starter money. If not, OK, but McGovern and Bates as starting G's doesn't inspire confidence. He's not the worst, but I believe we have to aim higher if we want to win a SB.
Why is it so wrong to want a guy like Wyatt Teller or Joe Thuney?

Did our guards do their jobs last year?  Did we have problems with skill players scoring?

We made Mitch Morse one of the highest paid centers and Dion Dawkins a top paid LT.  We have to improve on the OL but you're acting like none of the starting 5 get paid.

You don't even know who McGovern is and you have somehow evaluated him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RG Murdock said:

According to WhoScored and PFF McGovern is a middling pass blocker (Ranked 17th) and a pretty bad run blocker (Rated 31st).. Nothing to get excited about. Meanwhile, Edmonds to the Bears for 4 years $95M.. $50M guaranteed..... I guess too expensive for the Bills?    

The comparison that matters is to Saffold.  And what Bean has done is replace a guard at the bottom of the PFF rankings with one in the middle of the rankings for pass pro.  That's a huge improvement and will be noticed on the field next season.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I believe it was highlighting his athletic ability.  At least that is how I took the comment.

Well, if he's highlighting athletic ability rather than versatility why did he put the word "VERSATILE" in all caps rather than "ATHLETIC"?

He quite literally highlighted his versatility in the tweet.

52 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We made Mitch Morse one of the highest paid centers and Dion Dawkins a top paid LT. 

I know that it’s hard to believe (time flies) but we did those things 5 offseasons ago.

The team has not put big resources into offensive line in half a decade…

Despite having one of the best QB’s in the league.

Its mind-boggling.

I did a review of the top 15-20 o-linemen available in free agency in another thread and this McGovern wasn’t even on the radar of any source I researched. His namesake in NY was, but not him.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I know that it’s hard to believe (time flies) but we did those things 5 offseasons ago.

The team has not put big resources into offensive line in half a decade…

Despite having one of the best QB’s in the league.

Its mind-boggling.

I did a review of the top 15-20 o-linemen available in free agency in another thread and this McGovern wasn’t even on the radar of any source I researched. His namesake in NY was, but not him.

Morse was signed an extension last year.  Dawkins signed his extension in 2020.

We invested a 3rd round pick in Brown which is where you generally want to get a good RT.  Brown hasn’t been but its not like we avoided the position.

Does it really matter if he wasn’t on any source of best FA?

Edited by Royale with Cheese

24 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

$23 million for 3 years! If we're spending that much, how are we not getting a better G? Well, they overpaid Star too. I guess we're not good at assessing OL and DL talent.

Ralph is cheap.

10 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Well, if he's highlighting athletic ability rather than versatility why did he put the word "VERSATILE" in all caps rather than "ATHLETIC"?

He quite literally highlighted his versatility in the tweet.

Beane is foolish signing VERSATILE players.

Am I doing this right?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Morse was signed an extension last year.  Dawkins signed his extension in 2020.

Yeah but you were talking about big deal signings. Not small extensions.  The bills have not committed significant resources in free agency towed their offensive line in five offseasons. It’s just brutal.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Does it really matter if he wasn’t on any source of best FA?

Only when you’re talking about whether the bills have committed significant resources towards rebuilding the line - This is not a rebuild the line move. This is a stop-gap move.

I would love for them to go after someone like Ben Powers

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Those that are calling for Brown to be replaced haven’t forgotten how terrible he was all of last season and realize that he was a big part of our problem on offense.  

sure, he could improve- I think he will improve, some. Possibly enough to be a quality starter.  But are you willing to risk the entire 2023 season on it?  Imo, that’s what you’re doing if you don’t bring in someone that can compete and possibly beat him out.  We need a solid Plan B.  

My last line of the post your replied to literally stated bring someone in to challenge him in camp.  The bigger issue is the implication we should move on from Brown, now, which is flat out goofy.  You actually are agreeing with me.

4 hours ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Wyatt Teller was an all conference guard in college.  
Brown played 8 man football, was a TE and got moved to OT in D2 and missed the entire covid season.  There is literally no comparison. 
There is no reason why we should t bring in legit competition for him.  He’s proven nothing and regressed if anything.  We gotta an all time QB, I’d rather not bet on  a project 

Which is exactly what my last line indicated in my post your responded to. You are actually agreeing with me.  He was injured and missed an entire off- and pre-season, of course he regressed.  Getting rid of him without seeing a full off- and pre-season is goofy.

45 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

$23 million for 3 years! If we're spending that much, how are we not getting a better G? Well, they overpaid Star too. I guess we're not good at assessing OL and DL talent.

7 million dollars for a Guard isn’t that much nowadays. He’d be the 19th highest paid guard before Powers contract he’s probably going to be the 21-23rd highest paid guard in the nfl 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.