Conner McGovern to Bills

Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

We will see how it plays out but right now I feel like its an overpay.

That's free agency. You want to sign a starter? You will overpay.

Poor players get paid like average players, average players get paid like good players, good players get paid like elite players, etc.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You're under the assumption that McGovern doesn't want to start or something.  He's behind Tyler Smith and Zach Martin on the depth chart at the guard position.

McGovern is a free agent and he can choose where he goes. 

Are you saying the Cowboy's don't want to pay a back up more than $7 million a year means he's average?

The guard point is valid but he could certainly compete for Center which is what he was drafted to play.  
He’s average because of his numbers and contact that he got.  Betting on the fact that he’s only 25 is the only thing you can point to that might give you hope that he improves over league average.  The light boxes Josh affords his OL will help too

1 minute ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

The guard point is valid but he could certainly compete for Center which is what he was drafted to play.  
He’s average because of his numbers and contact that he got.  Betting on the fact that he’s only 25 is the only thing you can point to that might give you hope that he improves over league average.  The light boxes Josh affords his OL will help too

TBH, I don't even know who the Cowboys starting C is lol.

I think the Cowboys have a lot tied up into their line and needed to let some players of value go.  

I know this guy isn't All World but it looks to be an immediate upgrade and with his age, maybe there's more growth.

I hope he has some tenacity to him....I think we lack that in the trenches on both sides.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hope he has some tenacity to him....I think we lack that in the trenches on both sides.

Tenacity is great but no penalties would be great too. How many drives have stalled or got way harder than they needed to be because of holding? 

This kid has about one penalty per year. I'll take that. 

Very likely immediately slots in as the starting RG.

Assuming Bates sticks around -- I don't think they're ready to give up on him, though he'll have competition -- having two starting guards with the ability to fill in at center is a nice luxury. 

With an incredibly athletic offensive line (Dawkins has the lowest RAS at 8.8) and two fast running backs, I sure hope the Bills lean into the pin-pull stuff and attack the edges more than we saw in 2022.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Like this signing.  Can someone explain to me why Spencer Brown is in every starting lineup?  Was he not a huge liability?  Are we not upgrading the RT spot?

He most likely needs a fully healthy year to see what he is.

IMO, Josh Allen can move away from a RT pressure pretty easy.  His problem is when the DTs are in his face and the LDE keeps him from

flushing out to the right and running up the middle.  I haven't given up on Spencer Brown and if the other 4 can give Josh protection he'll be ok.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

According to WhoScored and PFF McGovern is a middling pass blocker (Ranked 17th) and a pretty bad run blocker (Rated 31st).. Nothing to get excited about. Meanwhile, Edmonds to the Bears for 4 years $95M.. $50M guaranteed..... I guess too expensive for the Bills?    

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.