Conner McGovern to Bills

Buffalo_Stampede

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I can get behind this. I don't think he is a top end guard but he can play  

We still need Powers. One or two Jags is what we've been doing. We need a young line for the next 5 yrs. We need another Reuben Brown.....minus the 3rd down holding calls.

His Draft Profile:

Reliable run blocker with NFL-ready size and strength but exploitable holes in his pass sets that need to be addressed as quickly as possible. His starting experience at both center and guard could bring additional interest in McGovern, who would be a bigger, stronger option at center for teams facing odd-front power in their division. He is a good fit in gap and inside-zone run schemes, but his tendency to over-set in pass protection could be challenging to correct. He's an early starter as a Day 2 pick, but Year 1 could have ups and downs.

10 minutes ago, Process said:

I have serious doubts that the Bills are ready to move on from Brown at RT.

You already know how Beane operates based on the Cody Ford example. I still would like to see Brown have to compete for his starting position with a top notch RT in the draft like Darnell Wright 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

If he were any good wouldn’t it make sense for the team that drafted him to retain him for such a modest contract? 

Let's say the Cowboys have 21 FAs this year and are already over the cap. What do you do in that scenario?

Edited by Starr Almighty
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Success said:

I don't think they should move on from Brown yet. He has so much potential, and he has played well at times. I would guess their thinking is let's see how he does with a full offseason & no injury to deal with.

I think the line you post there is very solid, but I do expect them to draft a guard in one of the 1st couple of rounds (maybe a tackle to compete w/ Brown, who they feel could convert if Brown plays well).

^^^ This.

Also, beyond forgetting about Brown missing an entire offseason with an injury, I also feel those calling for Brown to be replaced have forgotten about the Wyatt Teller effect. Beane likely will not do that twice.  With proper training Brown can improve his footwork and movement skills to continue developing. Sure he should be challenged in camp, but to say that we need to move on without seeing what a healthy off- and pre-season can do for him is just not smart.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

Let's say the Cowboys have 21 FAs this year and are already over the cap. What do you do in that scenario?

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If that was the case, there wouldn't be any mid tier FA.

The difference is that this is a guy they used a 3rd round pick on and is only 25.  Given the value of the pick, age and low AAV of the contract, he’d be at the top of their list of FA’s to keep if they thought he was a good player.  Most likely would’ve came at a better price too. Odds are, he’s very average. 

2 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

The difference is that this is a guy they used a 3rd round pick on and is only 25.  Given the value of the pick, age and low AAV of the contract, he’d be at the top of their list of FA’s to keep if they thought he was a good player.  Most likely would’ve came at a better price too. Odds are, he’s very average. 

Which would be a big improvement over Saffold if he's league average.  

13 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

^^^ This.

Also, beyond forgetting about Brown missing an entire offseason with an injury, I also feel those calling for Brown to be replaced have forgotten about the Wyatt Teller effect. Beane likely will not do that twice.  With proper training Brown can improve his footwork and movement skills to continue developing. Sure he should be challenged in camp, but to say that we need to move on without seeing what a healthy off- and pre-season can do for him is just not smart.

Those that are calling for Brown to be replaced haven’t forgotten how terrible he was all of last season and realize that he was a big part of our problem on offense.  

sure, he could improve- I think he will improve, some. Possibly enough to be a quality starter.  But are you willing to risk the entire 2023 season on it?  Imo, that’s what you’re doing if you don’t bring in someone that can compete and possibly beat him out.  We need a solid Plan B.  

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, nosejob said:

We still need Powers. One or two Jags is what we've been doing. We need a young line for the next 5 yrs. We need another Reuben Brown.....minus the 3rd down holding calls.

Yea I take that point but McGovern is a better pass blocker than both of our starting guards. He isn't the top tier of available guards, but he is an upgrade. 

9 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

The only push back there is from a resource perspective the Cowboys have a lot tied up in their oline already. If he was a high end starter, I agree they make it work. But for a guy who is just a tick above average they can't commit more to that unit.

1 minute ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

You're under the assumption that McGovern doesn't want to start or something.  He's behind Tyler Smith and Zach Martin on the depth chart at the guard position.

McGovern is a free agent and he can choose where he goes. 

Are you saying the Cowboy's don't want to pay a back up more than $7 million a year means he's average?

• Thank you (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

^^^ This.

Wyatt Teller was an all conference guard in college.  
Brown played 8 man football, was a TE and got moved to OT in D2 and missed the entire covid season.  There is literally no comparison. 
There is no reason why we should t bring in legit competition for him.  He’s proven nothing and regressed if anything.  We gotta an all time QB, I’d rather not bet on  a project 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.