Conner McGovern to Bills

Buffalo_Stampede

I have serious doubts that the Bills are ready to move on from Brown at RT. So it looks like we have our starting OL for next year. 

It's impossible to be worse than Saffold, so we've upgraded. But is Dawkins - Bates - Morse - McGovern - Brown good enough? Blahh. 

Still need to draft multiple guys for the pipeline and depth. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Like this one.  Wonder if they cut Morse for space now and move Bates to C?

Morse is playing this year.  The time to move on is next March.  I have to admit I'm not sold on Bates at C.  I want to see how McGovern does in camp.

• Agree 1

Don't know anything about this guy. Don't care that he's played Fullback, Center, and Tightend. I just want freaking guards who are above average and won't get Josh Killed. NFC East had a lot of nasty Dtackle last year so hopefully he works out and isn't shell shocked by what he sees in the AFC East.

• Agree 1

It's the kind of signing Beane makes when we have a glaring hole on the roster. Now we don't have to force a guard pick in the draft, but if we happen to draft a good one I'm sure it's easy to move on from McGovern after this year. A solid middle of the road starter that upgrades Saffold and gives us a reasonable floor at the position. I'm good with it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Just now, HaldimandBills said:

Don't know anything about this guy. Don't care that he's played Fullback, Center, and Tightend. I just want freaking guards who are above average and won't get Josh Killed. NFC East had a lot of nasty Dtackle last year so hopefully he works out and isn't shell shocked by what he sees in the AFC East.

He only gave up 2 sacks in 1,005 snaps and only took 1 penalty.  That's a start. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Process said:

I have serious doubts that the Bills are ready to move on from Brown at RT. So it looks like we have our starting OL for next year. 

It's impossible to be worse than Saffold, so we've upgraded. But is Dawkins - Bates - Morse - McGovern - Brown good enough? Blahh. 

I don't think they should move on from Brown yet. He has so much potential, and he has played well at times. I would guess their thinking is let's see how he does with a full offseason & no injury to deal with.

I think the line you post there is very solid, but I do expect them to draft a guard in one of the 1st couple of rounds (maybe a tackle to compete w/ Brown, who they feel could convert if Brown plays well).

3 minutes ago, Process said:

Absolutely they still need to upgrade. Bates right now should be your back up interior lineman and replace Morse at center eventually. Right Tackle absolutely needs an upgrade. Can't have guys coming around clean like last season. 

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

It's the kind of signing Beane makes when we have a glaring hole on the roster. Now we don't have to force a guard pick in the draft, but if we happen to draft a good one I'm sure it's easy to move on from McGovern after this year. A solid middle of the road starter that upgrades Saffold and gives us a reasonable floor at the position. I'm good with it.

I don’t hate the signing but they went with an upside signing similar to Tim Settle last year. I would rather they spent a little more on a Dalton Risner, someone with more experience.

I honestly can’t say with confidence that this guy will solve our OG problem. So I don’t like that.

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yup.. Bills have a serviceable, with potential, starting OL with Boettger and Doyle as depth, if no other moves are made before the draft.  

At the very least, at least this time they signed a younger RG (Bates can play LG now) who’s good at pass pro, suspect at run blocking … as opposed to an older LG (forces Bates to RG) who’s supposed to be a good run blocker, suspect at pass pro.  

I much prefer this approach. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.