What’s your offer for WR Jerry Jeudy?

Buffalo_Stampede

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Which is a very important component of Jeudy's value.   He's inexpensive.

And there is also the concern that Hopkins is in permanent decline and not just the victim of misfortune the past two seasons.   We just witnessed AJ Green and Julio Jones fall down similarly around age 30......assumed they could bounce back because of how great they had been.......and yet they did not.   Same concern with OBJ........but, of course, OBJ doesn't require draft pick compensation.    

Time is on Jeudy's side.    

Hopkins did not have a down year, he looked as good as ever this year.

I know this is a highlight video... but how can anyone watch this and not get excited about the prospect of Jeudy's skill set being added to our offense? There are some plays in this reel that nobody on our roster right now could replicate. The speed is real. The catch radius is real. The ability to uncover quickly on 3rd down is real. What am I missing? Why isn't this high-upside player that fills a need and is still on his rookie contract worth our 1st round pick?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hopkins did not have a down year, he looked as good as ever this year.

As good as 2020?   Definitely not.   Lowest yards per target since 2016.   Lower ypr and catch % than we are used to.

Look at Julio Jones 2020..........he had a similar 9 game slate to what Hopkins had in 2022.........and he was far more explosive than Hopkins........his 15 ypr, 75% catch rate and 11.3 yards per target blew Hopkins 2022 numbers out of the water.   

The fall off happened fast for Julio.

Remember that Hopkins was suspended for using PED's that he is now being tested much more regularly for.   The system is an intentional sham designed to be beaten......if you aren't in the program you get tested a couple times a year and you know almost exactly when that will be and just have to mask it.   He blew it.  I don't care that he's juicing, lot's of players are.  But if he can't take them any longer he could fall off significantly.   Not JUST performance but also the ability to stay healthy.   And you don't lose all the juice immediately so don't presume that looking good in the same calendar year that he was caught means that he's not impacted by not having them.   Often times it's the year after when significant issues prop up.   As A-Rod.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I know this is a highlight video... but how can anyone watch this and not get excited about the prospect of Jeudy's skill set being added to our offense? There are some plays in this reel that nobody on our roster right now could replicate. The speed is real. The catch radius is real. The ability to uncover quickly on 3rd down is real. What am I missing? Why isn't this high-upside player that fills a need and is still on his rookie contract worth our 1st round pick?

He really reminds me of Marvin Harrison, and he would be playing for that next contract which can't be understated as a motivation.

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Denver has traded away 3 firsts, 3 seconds, a fourth rounder, and Noah Fant to get a QB in Russel Wilson and an offensive guru head coach in the past 12 months.

So why are they willing to trade Jeudy who is on a rookie contract 2 more years after they invested so much into a QB and coach for the passing game?  

He has potential, but if someone is willing to over pay they will take it because he’s had health and drop issues over his first 3 years while averaging 700 yards and 3 TDs.  

He clearly still has potential, but I think the issue people have is with how much people are willing to trade for him.  I think most would be happy to see us get him, but it’s the compensation to get him they are concerned about because he still has a lot to prove.  

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Denver has traded away 3 firsts, 3 seconds, a fourth rounder, and Noah Fant to get a QB in Russel Wilson and an offensive guru head coach in the past 12 months.

So why are they willing to trade Jeudy who is on a rookie contract 2 more years after they invested so much into a QB and coach for the passing game?  

He has potential, but if someone is willing to over pay they will take it because he’s had health and drop issues over his first 3 years while averaging 700 yards and 3 TDs.  

He clearly still has potential, but I think the issue people have is with how much people are willing to trade for him.  I think most would be happy to see us get him, but it’s the compensation to get him they are concerned about because he still has a lot to prove.  

I don't know why they're reportedly willing to trade him. Why did the Texans trade DeAndre Hopkins? Why did the Titans trade AJ Brown? Why did the Vikings trade Stefon Diggs? Dumb teams do dumb things all the time. My best guess is that they are trying to collect draft capital to hedge on Russell Wilson in case what they saw last year is just who he is now. Sean Payton might come in thinking he needs to allocate more resources to the OL and the run game to try and create a functional offense around an overpaid bad QB. I don't have the exact answer but you can't just say "his team is trading him away, therefore he isn't worth trading for."

Isn't it a little disingenuous to say he "averages 700 yards" when he missed 7 games in 2021? In 2022 with laughably bad QB play and offensive play calling he collected 972 receiving yards despite missing 2 games. If anything scares me about him it's the injury concerns. That is a legitimate question. But the talent is obvious and we don't have his skill set on the roster.

I look at it this way - if this version of Jerry Jeudy was coming into the draft this year he would be far and away the #1 WR prospect. You have to factor in the downside that you're losing 3 years of his rookie contract, but the talent level is several tiers above any WR we could draft this year. He'll be 24 next month, the same age as some rookies that will be drafted. We have a low 1st round pick so we are likely to get at best the 4th best WR prospect in this weak class. Why not just use it on a guy where we know we are getting an immediate #2 WR with #1 upside? It's the lower floor/higher ceiling version of when we traded for Diggs. And there were legitimate questions about that trade when we made it. But talent usually wins out in the end.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I look at it this way - if this version of Jerry Jeudy was coming into the draft this year he would be far and away the #1 WR prospect. 

Or any version of Jerry Jeudy that involved him having two working legs.... by my grading scale (not saying I am the be all and end all but as an indicative guide) Jerry Jeudy was one point short of being graded an entire round ahead of Jordan Addison (currently my WR1 this year). I had Jeudy one point below an elite grade coming out. I have Addison as a 1st/2nd borderline.

• Like (+1) 1

The problem with trading for Jeudy is the same as a team trading for Oliver - he's a 1 year rental. A very good talent, but if you don't know if you're going to have him beyond this season, why would you give up much for him?

I suspect Denver wouldn't want to give him away for the price they'll get for a 1 year rental and will only move him to a team that will have a long term contract agreed upon and as such is willing to pay a higher price.

And that long term contract surely won't be cheap.

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The problem with trading for Jeudy is the same as a team trading for Oliver - he's a 1 year rental. A very good talent, but if you don't know if you're going to have him beyond this season, why would you give up much for him?

I suspect Denver wouldn't want to give him away for the price they'll get for a 1 year rental and will only move him to a team that will have a long term contract agreed upon and as such is willing to pay a higher price.

And that long term contract surely won't be cheap.

So you trade for him and then you extend him and the extension is agreed-upon before the move is even made

5 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The problem with trading for Jeudy is the same as a team trading for Oliver - he's a 1 year rental.

A 2 year rental because he still has his 5th year option in 2024. And then you get first dibs on his extension.

• Like (+1) 3

28 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So you trade for him and then you extend him and the extension is agreed-upon before the move is even made

Yep. You've never seen a trade happen and a long term extension announced at the same time or within a day or two? Happens all the time. AJ Brown and the Eagles last season off the top of my head.

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A 2 year rental because he still has his 5th year option in 2024. And then you get first dibs on his extension.

That's a fair point.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No argument from me, I would have no problem giving up our very low 1st round pick for Jeudy's skill. What are the chances there is a player with that upside sitting there at 27 this year? I'd say pretty slim. The Bills would get him for 2 years, and if he preforms would set up giving him a long term contract right when Diggs the Bills could get out of the Diggs contract and he's 32. 

And we could still get Jeudy AND draft another WR in the upcoming drafts. This wouldn't limit the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.