What’s your offer for WR Jerry Jeudy?

Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

In fairness, DHop is only 30 right now. But! Recently injured and busted using PEDs to recover. Which usually turns into a slippery slope.

I mean I'm on the 2nd for DHop train,  but Jeudy is that younger rd1 WR we want. 

I want a younger WR, but where we are with the offense, a new WR coach a still green OC, I want a guy who has been in the league a few years to step into #2 right now. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I would not trade for him. If he was cost controlled another 2-3 years sure, but not now. He’s been hurt almost non stop as well. I would prefer they went in a different direction. 

No perfect options though. 

OBJ off two ACL's.  D-Hop, getting older and a bunch of random nonsense.  No guarantee a WR we like makes it to 27.  

Jeudy is available for a reason.  Gabe Davis can be sent back or moved to recoup a pick.. he's not without his ankle issues and inconsistency.  

Jeudy gives us that elite WR2 opposite Diggs, that teams 100% have to fear.  He also has WR1 potential for the future.  This just makes so much sense for Buffalo, imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

Interestingly, Spotrac says the first year to get out of Diggs' deal is 2025. That's the same offseason Jeudy would be due for a big extension. We have no 5th year option currently due in 2024 which is when Jeudy's would be. If we trade for him the timing makes A LOT of sense.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Jeudy has 2 years left on his rookie deal so he would be cost controlled that long at most. 

A 1st round WR would have 5 cost controlled years, so that’s better contractual value.

How much better is Jeudy than the best WR likely to be available at 27? It would have to be a certain, significant gap to make sense for me.

Put another way, is Jeudy at the level Diggs was at when we acquired him? We would be essentially redoing that trade. 

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe. Hey, I think Hopkins is THE premier WR in the NFL and has been for a decade so Im certainly not against it. But for the upfront investment, and long term costs, I tend to lean towards the guy who can/will be playing for the rest of Josh's career as opposed to the guy who will likely be falling off a cliff and retiring soon.

Hopkins age, injuries, and PED use worries me. Once that ball starts rolling, it usually picks up momentum. I'm just not sure how "cheap" he will really come.

Hopkins only missed time with one injury, 2021 though.  Prior to that he had missed 2 total games in his entire career and came back and was fully healthy last year.  He made a mistake in recovery from that injury that cost him time in 2022, but he has not had an issue staying healthy.

And while I get the long term appeal, if Jeudy excels here, I am not sure we would be able to afford to keep him long term.  We might, but there are no assurances.  Which is why I like risking less on Hopkins and then look to add some youth in the draft we can keep for 4-5 seasons cheap sometime during the next 2 drafts.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No perfect options though. 

OBJ off two ACL's.  D-Hop, getting older and a bunch of random nonsense.  No guarantee a WR we like makes it to 27.  

Jeudy is available for a reason.  Gabe Davis can be sent back or moved to recoup a pick.. he's not without his ankle issues and inconsistency.  

Jeudy gives us that elite WR2 opposite Diggs, that teams 100% have to fear.  He also has WR1 potential for the future.  This just makes so much sense for Buffalo, imo. 

I don’t view him that way but I’m no expert either. 
I always considered Sutton the prize of that offense. Anytime I watched them last year or the year before it was Sutton making all the plays, and Juedy doing his best McKenzie impression slipping sliding and falling everywhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Hopkins only missed time with one injury, 2021 though.  Prior to that he had missed 2 total games in his entire career and came back and was fully healthy last year.  He made a mistake in recovery from that injury that cost him time in 2022, but he has not had an issue staying healthy.

And while I get the long term appeal, if Jeudy excels here, I am not sure we would be able to afford to keep him long term.  We might, but there are no assurances.  Which is why I like risking less on Hopkins and then look to add some youth in the draft we can keep for 4-5 seasons cheap sometime during the next 2 drafts.

Why wouldn't we? 2025 is when Diggs would come off the books and is also when Jeudy would be do for a big extension. You pick up his 5th year option and then sign him to the deal that doesn't start until 2025. 

EDIT: And are we sure Hopkins, or Diggs for that matter, want to split reps?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Just now, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'd be fine with trading a 1st. I would still keep Davis.

Diggs, Jeudy, Davis,Shakir, and Crowder would be my 5 WRs. Maybe add a 6th on day 3 of the draft.

I would trade Oliver for a 2nd. I would draft OL, OL, MLB or Safety with the next 3 picks. 

Wow..someone giving up a second for Oliver? 

Get them to give up a 3rd for McKenzie whilst their at it ..

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Late round.  He's do for a contract, hasn't done much of anything, injured, 3rd day pick.  I mean why is anyone giving you anything for him at this point, based on his Bama days?  He couldn't get together with Wilson, and I know folks feel Wilson is a washed up Diva, but the guy still can get the football to open receivers.  Just not sure what to think about Jeudy, he hasn't do anything in this league.

Most I'd give is a 3rd, I have to pay him and he hasn't proven he can do it.

Edited by bouds

The hype for Jeudy doesn't match up with his results in the NFL. 3 years in and he has an abysmal catch rate. Hasn't topped 1k yards in a season yet either. He's had bad QBs and injury issues so there's still a lot of potential, but this has to effect his trade value.

I think our 2nd rd pick would be fair.

Maybe Ed Oliver + late picks if the Broncos like Oliver. 

I'd be more interested in Hamler. Would take less to get him and he would bring some serious speed to the offense. 

Dealt with injury/dog crap at QB his entire time in devner but think there is some potential there. 

Than still take a WR on day 2. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Why wouldn't we? 2025 is when Diggs would come off the books and is also when Jeudy would be do for a big extension. You pick up his 5th year option and then sign him to the deal that doesn't start until 2025. 

Because if he blows up here, his cost could (and probably likely) be greater than what we paid Diggs.  KC didn't keep Tyreek...GB didn't keep Adams...are Bills going to pony up with an expensive roster and pay a WR $27M+ per year or higher if he has establishes himself as top end WR while catching passes from Allen?  

It would also mean moving on from Diggs and then also giving him a huge bag of money.  Would he thrive as a #1 after Diggs is gone for that kind of money?  And if he doesn't excel to command a huge contract, trading a first round pick for him would have been an over pay.  So for me, its not so cut and dry.  

Not saying I am against trading for Jeudy, just saying I like a Hopkins trade more.  I would be excited if we got Jeudy, this isn't about that.  I just prefer taking the better player today in Hopkins for a win now approach, and nabbing a WR to groom early sometime in the next 2 drafts who we can have 4 to 5 years of Allens prime on a rookie contract.  

I would however be much more comfortable trading Jeudy if the price comes in much cheaper than is being rumored or if it was a player and a mediocre pick.  It is trading a first, or trading a 2nd and another pick where I start to like it less than trying to get Hopkins.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.