Austin Ekeler asks for a trade. UPDATE: Granted permission

Alphadawg7

Just now, ALLinALLEN said:

This is one I think we REALLY need to be in on. I'm trying to think of the compensation that would make me say "no" and I cant put a value on it. 

27 yrs old

really only starter lvl snaps for 3.5 years so shouldnt be "leg dead"

would add a receiver for us ~127 tgts last year (instantly #2 rec here in terms of volume)

really friggin good player

I'd be willing to part with Gabe, our 1st (I know, I know), and even cook

Cook, Oliver, 2nd for Ekeler and K.Mack restructured 😄

Well...Ekeler is really good...But I'm not sure, even as good as he is, how much they can get for him.

This is the best off season for RB in the past however long. The UFA class is loaded and the Draft is loaded.

The Bills need a 3rd RB still...And I'm hoping they understand that it's reasonably likely you can get a player like Chad Brown, Roschon Johnson, or Tank Bigsby in the 4th-5th round! That's incredible value for a RB that should start early in their career, and 4 years on a cheap contract. You have to use the Draft wisely when there is a glut of talent.

I saw the report that the Bills were interested in Williams from Detroit. I don't care how many TD's he had last year, and how much they need a short-yardage back...Spending cash on a UFA RB, or trading for a vet RB this off-season is so dumb IMHO...Especially after watching what KC got from their 7th Round pick last year. B-)

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, KOKBILLS said:

I saw the report that the Bills were interested in Williams from Detroit. I don't care how many TD's he had last year, and how much they need a short-yardage back...Spending cash on a UFA RB, or trading for a vet RB this off-season is so dumb IMHO...Especially after watching what KC got from their 7th Round pick last year. B-)

The talking heads on ESPN actually tried to sell the Edwards-Helaire benching as they "lost their #1 RB" instead, which was laughable... everyone could see that Pacheco outright passed him up on the depth chart with McKinnon...

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

This is one I think we REALLY need to be in on. I'm trying to think of the compensation that would make me say "no" and I cant put a value on it. 

27 yrs old

really only starter lvl snaps for 3.5 years so shouldnt be "leg dead"

would add a receiver for us ~127 tgts last year (instantly #2 rec here in terms of volume)

really friggin good player

I'd be willing to part with Gabe, our 1st (I know, I know), and even cook **edit - some combo of this, not all 3 together**

stare-scare.gif

Uhhhhhh, no. 

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

We have the younger version already on the roster in Cook, we have another solid pass catching RB in Hines so I don't see the Bills going after a 3rd RB imo.

If cook gets 900+ rsh and 700+ rec with 18 tds ever in his career I will buy you tickets to the pro bowl he gets named to...Ekeler is a freak and Cook looks promising but lets not call him a younger version of AE.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

great insight as to why not

Because he's a RB. You don't trade a 1st for a RB, and you sure as heck shouldn't combine your first with anything else. Cook can catch the ball out of the backfield as well, he's younger, and we just drafted him last year. It's not like Ekeler puts us over the top. 

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Because he's a RB. You don't trade a 1st for a RB, and you sure as heck shouldn't combine your first with anything else. Cook can catch the ball out of the backfield as well, he's younger, and we just drafted him last year. It's not like Ekeler puts us over the top. 

He's a RB with back to back seasons with 94+ targets, so he's much more than just a RB. He'd fill the check down role nice, alleviate the lack of slot game, and can actually pass protect decently.

He's worth a 2nd and cook easily. I think he does put us over the top if you add a depth WR in the draft rds 3-5.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, ALLinALLEN said:

He's a RB with back to back seasons with 94+ targets, so he's much more than just a RB. He'd fill the check down role nice, alleviate the lack of slot game, and can actually pass protect decently.

He's worth a 2nd and cook easily. I think he does put us over the top if you add a depth WR in the draft rds 3-5.

Agree to disagree. He's not worth that either. I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't pay him the money he's obviously looking for on top of it either. That's a nope.  

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

Matakevich and a 5th

Rbs have little value. A 7th will get it done.

and this is just a negotiation tact. I bet they work out a deal. But man, does it suck to be a rb. AE is a legit all pro type player and he struggles to get $10 mil while meh Jones and his 15 td passes gets $40.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:17 AM, H2o said:

Agree to disagree. He's not worth that either. I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't pay him the money he's obviously looking for on top of it either. That's a nope.  

Agreed...while Ekeler would be an exciting add, hard to see Bills being in on him for a couple reasons.  One, he wants a trade because he wants a new bigger contract that is probably outside the budget Beane has in mind at RB.  Second, we have youth at the position on a rookie deal for 3 more years in Cook who has similar potential to Ekeler, plus we just restructured Hines.  So we already have 2 RB's who be receiving weapons for Allen, and combined they cost less than what Ekeler would likely be seeking.  

Feels like what we need is a more powerful compliment to those guys who can excel in carrying the load in bad weather, short yardage, redzone, etc.  Again, Ekeler is a great player, he would be exciting to have in Buffalo, so not knocking him.  Just talking about if he would be a realistic trade target for the Bills.  

So I think we more likely get someone in the draft or sign someone like Jamaal Williams or D'Onta Foreman who will probably cost less and compliment our RB room better.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

Ekeler is no joke. We can say that McCaffrey is an all around better back, but if you said it was Ekeler, I wouldn’t disagree. 

He doesn’t miss games, and he’s an excellent short yardage and goaline back. He is absolutely complete. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.