[Misleading Title]

FireChans

8 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Martin was a good signing. He did a nice job for the Bills.

I am also good with reworking Hynes’ deal. He can help this team. 

I don’t understand the Matakevich deal. He is a really good ST player. It feels like a poor use of resources to sign a vet ST coverage player. You signed Neal last year for that and Taiwan Jones probably comes back as well. If those guys can’t play on offense or defense you should get someone cheaper to fill those roles.

my dude, we have been signing vet ST coverage players for the entire McBeane tenure.

15 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Go ahead and prove me wrong. Feel like I follow the league enough to know that most teams aren't spending $7M on Matakevich or ~2M on Taiwan or $3M on Siran Neal.

Geroge Odum 3 years 9.5 million with the 49ers

Oren Burks, 2 years 5 million with the 49ers

That was just going against 1 team, but you are probably right saying most teams aren't doing this. 

Edited by BillsFan2313
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I feel like Sam Martin deserves a separate post compared to the Debbie Downer Matakevich extension.

Sam Martin was the best Punter we've had on the team in a long time. VERY happy he's back.

Agree, am haoppy Martin was re-signed

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is gonna beef if you create a thread for it, especially once the terms are known.

20 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Punters are a dime a dozen. And I don’t think he was good. If we are winning a punter doesn’t matter. The O needs resources not special teams. 

I thought he was very good. This puts him about 12th in average salary per year

Player

Total Salary
Avg./Year

Michael Dickson$14,699,059$3,674,765

Jack Fox$14,960,000$3,516,250

Tress Way$13,250,000$3,312,500

Logan Cooke$12,000,000$3,000,000

A.J. Cole$12,000,000$3,000,000

Bryan Anger$9,000,000$3,000,000

Rigoberto Sanchez$11,600,000$2,900,000

Mitch Wishnowsky$11,200,000$2,800,000

Cameron Johnston$8,000,000$2,666,667

Tommy Townsend$2,627,000$2,627,000

Johnny Hekker$7,620,000$2,540,000

Pat O'Donnell$4,000,000$2,000,000

Corey Bojorquez$3,380,000$1,690,000

Andy Lee$1,500,000$1,500,000

Bradley Pinion$1,500,000$1,500,000

Sam Martin$1,272,500$1,272,500

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

my dude, we have been signing vet ST coverage players for the entire McBeane tenure.

We all know this..  And until this team figures out how to get past Mahomes/Burrow in the Playoffs, questioning decisions is only going to get more and more valid.

Get past them and go ahead.. sign all the Siran Neal, Tyler Matakevich's you want.  Pay a punter.  Pay Bass.  Whatever.  Until then, people will question some of these roster decisions... and justifiably so.   

I just hope there are corresponding moves made because we are paying way too much, currently, for bit players like Hines, McKenzie, Neal, Martin, Gillam etc.  Not a ton individually, but it begins to add up. 

I don't mind signing special teams players but they need to offer additional roster flexibility by at least playing one or more roles on offense/defense as a backup player at a minimum. I rather take risk on younger cheaper players you can develop and take the hit on special teams.

32 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I don't know for every team, but I know for a few that I follow and they don't commit those resources to special teams the Bills do.

And we are also tight to the cap, so there is also that..

Miami and KC are two teams I know a lot about and they don’t invest a ton in special teams.

They use rookies/cheap vets to fill those slots and aren’t “designated special team players”

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/special/

The Bills ranked 28th last year in paying their kicker, punter and log snapper, spending $2.1 million total against the cap. KC was 2nd, spending 9 million against the cap. Seems like the Bills use that money they save on kicker, punter, and long snapper for a couple special teams aces. 

Just now, BillsFan2313 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/special/

The Bills ranked 28th last year in paying their kicker, punter and log snapper, spending $2.1 million total against the cap. KC was 2nd, spending 9 million against the cap. Seems like the Bills use that money they save on kicker, punter, and long snapper for a couple special teams aces. 

No.  They don't.  Bass is just on a rookie deal, and Martin was on the street when we signed him.

We were signing the Taiwans' of the world when we were paying Haushcka.

Our ST hit will skyrocket when Bass hits FA.

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

And yet they do the same ***** every off-season. 

I'm willing to let FA play out, but I honestly did not think we would bring back Matakevich and pay Sam Martin and keep Nyheim Hines.  

The corresponding moves should be cutting McKenzie and Neal. 

Enough with this..

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

No.  They don't.  Bass is just on a rookie deal, and Martin was on the street when we signed him.

We were signing the Taiwans' of the world when we were paying Haushcka.

Our ST hit will skyrocket when Bass hits FA.

Cool, let me know when that happens, because they will still be ranked in the 20's for 2023. 

Sam Martin made 1.2 million "off the streets"

Edited by BillsFan2313