[Misleading Title]

FireChans

15 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Every team seems to have 1-2 niche special teams guys they pay for, seems like the bills have 3-4 every year 

How do you know?

14 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think we sign more “elite” non-K/P STers than almost any team in the league.

How do you know?

Not trying to get ahead of myself. But I would rather free up money that keep guys like Mata, Hines, Martin. This regime continues to think that it’s the inches that matter, not a bigger problem with our OL and weapons. We are going to be rolling it back minus edmunds and poyer. 

11 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I feel like Sam Martin deserves a separate post compared to the Debbie Downer Matakevich extension.

Sam Martin was the best Punter we've had on the team in a long time. VERY happy he's back.

Don’t think he sucks. But if we are really cash strapped there are punters potentially as good that would take much less. $7.5m for our punter? If we are punting a lot then this team is likely losing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Not trying to get ahead of myself. But I would rather free up money that keep guys like Mata, Hines, Martin. This regime continues to think that it’s the inches that matter, not a bigger problem with our OL and weapons. We are going to be rolling it back minus edmunds and poyer. 

Don’t think he sucks. But if we are really cash strapped there are punters potentially as good that would take much less. $7.5m for our punter? If we are punting a lot then this team is likely losing. 

"Up to $7.5M" over 3 years. These details matter. The guaranteed money is about $4M. 

So ... you have an issue with a good punter getting between $1.3M and a maximum of $2.3M per year? 

4 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Cut Neal, McKenzie and let Taiwan Jones walk.. ok, fine, pay Martin and keep Matakevich and Hines.  We'll see how this plays out, and maybe Matakevich is on a cheap deal, but this team needs more dudes at the expense of filling holes with experienced vets. 

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

"Up to $7.5M" over 3 years. These details matter. The guaranteed money is about $4M. 

So ... you have an issue with a good punter getting between $1.3M and a maximum of $2.3M per year? 

Punters are a dime a dozen. And I don’t think he was good. If we are winning a punter doesn’t matter. The O needs resources not special teams. 

Martin was a good signing. He did a nice job for the Bills.

I am also good with reworking Hines’ deal. He can help this team. 

I don’t understand the Matakevich deal. He is a really good ST player. It feels like a poor use of resources to sign a vet ST coverage player. You signed Neal last year for that and Taiwan Jones probably comes back as well. If those guys can’t play on offense or defense you should get someone cheaper to fill those roles.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

How do you know?

How do you know?

I don't know for every team, but I know for a few that I follow and they don't commit those resources to special teams the Bills do.

And we are also tight to the cap, so there is also that..

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

I don't know for every team, but I know for a few that I follow and they don't commit those resources to special teams the Bills do.

And we are also tight to the cap, so there is also that..

Can you share?

16 minutes ago, ngbills said:

4 millions is guarenteed over the 3 years, relax.

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I think we sign more “elite” non-K/P STers than almost any team in the league.

One of the many stupid strategies this organization practices. 

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Go ahead and prove me wrong. Feel like I follow the league enough to know that most teams aren't spending $7M on Matakevich or ~2M on Taiwan or $3M on Siran Neal.

They aren't because they're not dumb asses.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Can you share?

I’ve seen 2-3 teams sign special teams guys already this offseason. Saints and Seahawks. NE has always signed their special team aces. I’m sure if I researched it most teams have a Matakevich. The Bills however have had him, Neal, Kumerow, and Jones for a few years now. Neither player adds anything to the roster other than special teams. Kumerow and Neal have been given snaps but are terrible.

40 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

They just can’t help themselves when it comes to signing niche special team players…

Love the Martin signing, not a fan of the Matakevich

We were very good on ST. Frequently pinning our opponents inside the 20 because Bass purposely kicks it high at the 2 yard line. And frequently started past the 25

He's decent depth at LB too if needed for a cheap contract 

ST has decided many gms in the nfl if you think about it