Nyhiem Hines Restructures - Takes a pay cut to stay in Buffalo.

Draconator

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I think there is a good chance Hines is still the 3rd RB and kick/punt returner. I would like to see the Bills release McKenzie and use Hines in the old McKenzie role prior to last season.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Hines trying a few sweeps and it didn't work out.  I think McKenzie has a kind of fast-burst quickness that lends itself, while Hines has an afterburner where once he's going, he can turn it on.  Just my impression.  Same thing with Shakir - he's fast, but he's not as quick if that makes sense?

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie ran a pretty full route tree.  I'm not saying what the Bills do - it depends on who they bring in, surely - but I don't think you look at Hines and McKenzie as equivalent at all.

One thing is, McKenzie is owed a roster bonus of $250,000 this Fri, so if they cut him, they likely cut him this week.  My guess is that he comes into camp and competes.

Unless he takes a good pay cut he is gone. I hope he is gone anyway. Time to move on. 

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie ran a pretty full route tree.  I'm not saying what the Bills do - it depends on who they bring in, surely - but I don't think you look at Hines and McKenzie as equivalent at all.

One thing is, McKenzie is owed a roster bonus of $250,000 this Fri, so if they cut him, they likely cut him this week.  My guess is that he comes into camp and competes.

For $2m I think you bring back McKenzie even if he never sees the field.  He’s good insurance in case you ever need him like the 2021 game at New England.  I actually think he might have some trade value at $2m per year also.  

With this restructure we have our kick and punt returner. We also have a weapon on offense that we will hopefully utilize this season. 

I think with this restructure it is time to say goodbye to Isiah Mckenzie. I failed in the slot and Hines took his other role.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Hines trying a few sweeps and it didn't work out.  I think McKenzie has a kind of fast-burst quickness that lends itself, while Hines has an afterburner where once he's going, he can turn it on.  Just my impression.  Same thing with Shakir - he's fast, but he's not as quick if that makes sense?

The Hines package last year consisted of like 2 plays. I wouldn’t even try to evaluate whatever the Hines package was.

Hines is definitely similar speed and quickness to McKenzie. Probably a bit faster.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The Hines package last year consisted of like 2 plays. I wouldn’t even try to evaluate whatever the Hines package was.

Hines is definitely similar speed and quickness to McKenzie. Probably a bit faster.

4.38 Hines vs 4.42 McKenzie 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, QCity said:

Maybe we'll actually design RB screens this year.

The thing is, both Hines and Cook can both run routes like WRs. Seems to me there is so much room to get creative with two guys like this in the backfield. Not just with screens.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Did he? I felt McKenzie was a limited route runner. A lot of crossers.

He certainly started on the Bills as a poor route runner

Yeah, he ran a lot of deep crossers last year, mostly as clearing routes - that was what he was asked to do on a lot of plays.

Capture.JPG

I hear that Gabe Davis is a poor route runner who only has 3 routes, also, I don't know.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

He certainly started on the Bills as a poor route runner

Yes, he ran a lot of deep crossers last year (because that's what the Bills were asking him to do) but

Anyway, I hear people say Gabe Davis is a "limited route runner" too,

Capture.JPG

These are man beater routes……

depends game to game / what D runs against a bills

fake news

Edited by balln

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Glad he’s back, he was criminally underused.

the most head scratching aspect of the entire year regime was the major emphasis on finding multiple pass catching backs, only to never use them.

FTFY. 

McBeane have keyed in on this for some time. It isn't Dorsey specific. Barkley only had about 60 more receiving yards than Singletary. 

Edited by Mango

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He was on the field for 66 plays.  I could be wrong, but don't think he was running the same 2 plays on all 66 snaps.

He's definitely faster than McKenzie once he gets going.

do we have a backup OC ready for in-season.  If Dorsey starts the year like he ended it by wasting our ability to attack Ds in multiple ways, we need an OC who is not learning on the job during a SB window.  Perhaps Dorsey as Assist OC in that situation.  

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

For $2m I think you bring back McKenzie even if he never sees the field.  He’s good insurance in case you ever need him like the 2021 game at New England.  I actually think he might have some trade value at $2m per year also.  

I agree, trade but not cut.  I think it depends on the draft.  If you get the WR from BC or UNC, you don't need McKenzie with Shakir and the rookie.  

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He was on the field for 66 plays.  I could be wrong, but don't think he was running the same 2 plays on all 66 snaps.

I honestly felt like they ran the same thing every time Hines came on. Probably not but that’s what it felt like.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

It really was extremely limited. I'd even argue that saying 2 plays is stretching it.

Seemed like the same thing every time. Or at least every time he got the ball. So it became super predictable for us, and the defense. That same busted sweep every time.

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

do we have a backup OC ready for in-season.  If Dorsey starts the year like he ended it by wasting our ability to attack Ds in multiple ways, we need an OC who is not learning on the job during a SB window.  Perhaps Dorsey as Assist OC in that situation.  

I agree, trade but not cut.  I think it depends on the draft.  If you get the WR from BC or UNC, you don't need McKenzie with Shakir and the rookie.  

It would be Joe Brady

• Thank you (+1) 1

Doesn't sound like much of a pay cut and incentives can take him OVER his $4.9M?

WTF Beane? :doh:

Hines is clearly going to be RB3.........that shouldn't cost anything in excess of $2M total.........and not $2M with future dead money.

Hines should have been cut and allowed to test the market..........the kind of pay cut he should have required are the kind that don't work out unless the player is allowed to test his true worth on the market.    

Pay cuts in general are bad business.   Every time Beane asks for one the player effort/buy-in shifts into double low.   See Vernon Butler and opt-out year Star Lotulelei as the prior examples.

The player needs to be able to see his value to appreciate their position..........case in point Beasley refusing a pay cut down from $7M and then being grateful to be accepted back onto the practice squad 6 months later.    It's human nature for workers to check out when you cut their pay.

Sign Jamaal Williams next for $4M-$5M and they can have a $10M backfield without even having a star RB in it. 😂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.