Nyhiem Hines Restructures - Takes a pay cut to stay in Buffalo.

Draconator

well, between him and cook we have more speed, pass catching, and athletic ability at RB than we have to start a season since lynch was still here.

lets hope we get a target or two, some blocking, and our OC uses them well.  we improved last year on O imo because we ran better and had more consistent numbers averaging the same.  our total melt down in the playoffs makes me pause on that happy report, but i think w a couple better players this allen lead O could be a record setter.

Just now, SWATeam said:

Not the point.  Bills went after McKissic, signed Duke Williams, drafted Cook, traded for Hines.  There was clearly an emphasis to add this dimension to the offense.

had to be some sort of disconnect between the front office and coaching staff.

Go lower. Like onto the field.

Josh was dumping off to Singletary and Cook the first 4-5 games, as designed, and they were starting to light it up. Our offense was clicking. Then he just stopped. Folks can blame it on the elbow injury, and that may be the case. But we did start the season throwing to the RBs, and they were still there and wide open underneath the rest of the season. We just stopped throwing it to them and instead bombed it out for low percentage throws.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I'd love to see these incentives. Given his lack of opportunities, I'm surprised he wants to be back in Buffalo.

He's still able to make 5 mill next season with incentives.  Who else is paying that for a kick returner?

18 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Was occasionally electric at KR.  Does this make lil drrty expendable?

He had nearly 500 yards from scrimmage and 5 TDs.  Hines returned 2 kicks for TD, in a game.

Just now, SWATeam said:

Not the point.  Bills went after McKissic, signed Duke Williams, drafted Cook, traded for Hines.  There was clearly an emphasis to add this dimension to the offense.

had to be some sort of disconnect between the front office and coaching staff.

I ask again, who do you take off the field? The way it worked out they had a rookie who they didn’t fully trust. When Hines arrived Cook was starting to get more work and play with confidence. Do you bench Cook? No. They were kind of stuck. Hines was likely more of a future trade when it happened. Knowing Singletary was walking. Trying to get Moss carries to raise his value also was a problem. 

A lot of personnel decisions on offense didn’t go as planned. RB and WR definitely didn’t go as planned. 

8 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Go lower. Like onto the field.

Josh was dumping off to Singletary and Cook the first 4-5 games, as designed, and they were starting to light it up. Our offense was clicking. Then he just stopped. Folks can blame it on the elbow injury, and that may be the case. But we did start the season throwing to the RBs, and they were still there and wide open underneath the rest of the season. We just stopped throwing it to them and instead bombed it out for low percentage throws.

After week 9 it stopped cuz Josh couldn't make those short precise throws because of the elbow he was a lot more hurt than we all knew and it's been explained multiple times he couldn't make the short accurate throws because of the strain and stress it put on the UCL and long throws don't need that

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I ask again, who do you take off the field? The way it worked out they had a rookie who they didn’t fully trust. When Hines arrived Cook was starting to get more work and play with confidence. Do you bench Cook? No. They were kind of stuck. Hines was likely more of a future trade when it happened. Knowing Singletary was walking. Trying to get Moss carries to raise his value also was a problem. 

A lot of personnel decisions on offense didn’t go as planned. RB and WR definitely didn’t go as planned. 

The great thing about Hines/Cook is both can line up in the backfield or go out wide as a WR. If used properly it can be a dangerous thing as defenses won't be able to key on either one. That said neither have the size IMHO to be a short down back that can get a two year run with defenses expecting a run, that's when you bring on a bigger RB (I like Chris Rodriguez Jr from Kentucky as a 5th Round pick). Or take out a WR and get a blocking/short yardage TE.  

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

McGee was pretty good imho

McGee was our best return man ever. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

McKenzie.

McKenzie ran a pretty full route tree.  I'm not saying what the Bills do - it depends on who they bring in, surely - but I don't think you look at Hines and McKenzie as equivalent at all.

One thing is, McKenzie is owed a roster bonus of $250,000 this Fri, so if they cut him, they likely cut him this week.  My guess is that he comes into camp and competes.

Edited by Beck Water

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

The great thing about Hines/Cook is both can line up in the backfield or go out wide as a WR. If used properly it can be a dangerous thing as defenses won't be able to key on either one. That said neither have the size IMHO to be a short down back that can get a two year run with defenses expecting a run, that's when you bring on a bigger RB (I like Chris Rodriguez Jr from Kentucky as a 5th Round pick). Or take out a WR and get a blocking/short yardage TE.  

This is what I do in Madden all the time. (It’s Madden, I get it, but the offensive philosophy applies in real football.) Allen flanked by Cook and Hines in the backfield. Usually call an RPO or play action and put someone in motion presnap. Too many weapons and moving pieces to key in on while still defending Allen’s running threat. 

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

McGee was our best return man ever. 

I think there is a good chance Hines is still the 3rd RB and kick/punt returner. I would like to see the Bills release McKenzie and use Hines in the old McKenzie role prior to last season. Bring in a veteran slot WR.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

4 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I don't disagree in principle, but my first reaction when I read that is "how are they at pass protection?"  RBs typically improve in pass pro between year 1 and 2, so Cook may step up.  I don't recall Hines being very good at it.

Of course, if we had a better OL to start with and a QB more willing to take the short pass option, it could be less of a concern.

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Does anyone know exactly how they handled it yet?

Not exactly. From the tweets we have:

- reduced contract

- ability to earn back the reduced money (and more) through incentives 

- conversion of some salary to signing bonus

That all tracks very well. Obviously the details could tell a different story, but so far so good. 

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie ran a pretty full route tree.  I'm not saying what the Bills do - it depends on who they bring in, surely - but I don't think you look at Hines and McKenzie as equivalent at all.

One thing is, McKenzie is owed a roster bonus of $250,000 this Fri, so if they cut him, they likely cut him this week.  My guess is that he comes into camp and competes.

Did he? I felt McKenzie was a limited route runner. A lot of crossers.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.