Bills free agency tracker - NFL free agency began 3/15 - post all NFL updates here

chongli

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

Kid always intrigued me. Thielen/Terrence Marshall/Shenault/Chark with Hayden Hurst/Tommy Tremble, on paper, has so much potential. 

They have all 5 starting O-line coming back (pending Corbett's recovery)...Miles Sanders... isn't the worst situation for a rookie to come into. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

They have all 5 starting O-line coming back (pending Corbett's recovery)...Miles Sanders... isn't the worst situation for a rookie to come into. 

Honestly might be the best situation that one of those first round QBs can go. Maybe splitting hairs with Raiders. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

It does speak to the dismal state of offensive line talent that many pundits still say that Saffold is among the top 10 guards available.

SMH

That is something I always enjoy. Difference between the top players and just the average players on the offensive line groupings in the NFL is so great that many cannot fathom. Putting together five top notch guys on a line is nearly impossible in today's NFL world. It is the position that has been hurt the most in the free agency era .

Most teams have one above average to very good player, a few teams have an excellent player. But most teams struggle to have two good players and two above average players. The rest is made up of pass along free agents and stopgap players. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/24/2023 at 2:48 PM, boyst said:

That is something I always enjoy. Difference between the top players and just the average players on the offensive line groupings in the NFL is so great that many cannot fathom. Putting together five top notch guys on a line is nearly impossible in today's NFL world. It is the position that has been hurt the most in the free agency era .

Most teams have one above average to very good player, a few teams have an excellent player. But most teams struggle to have two good players and two above average players. The rest is made up of pass along free agents and stopgap players. 

Yes, there are not enough top ten guys at each position for every team to have one. There are only ten. Every team is assembling and developing talent from the same pool.

Yet somehow it seems every year ~2/3rds of NFL teams have a better line than the Bills. Either the Bills don't value the position group as much or they're not as good at evaluating and developing the talent available. Probably a combination of the 2 imo.

23 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Yes, there are not enough top ten guys at each position for every team to have one. There are only ten. Every team is assembling and developing talent from the same pool.

Yet somehow it seems every year ~2/3rds of NFL teams have a better line than the Bills. Either the Bills don't value the position group as much or they're not as good at evaluating and developing the talent available. Probably a combination of the 2 imo.

I 100% agree. A lot of the guys behind the scenes in the trenches are home grown cultivated talent. This includes the scouting dept. When Beane and co. came in they let go of many of the scouts, almost every single one of the college and pro scouts.

One of my sources was the scout who evaluated a Bills player The dude said he had all the raw undeveloped talent of any prospect at his position he'd ever seen and has a chance to develop. He was let go in the great purge. That player didn't get renewed in Buffalo and still playing today 10 years and 6 teams later. 

This fact has always made me wonder: if a player lasts that long is it a fluke? Why has there been so many teams?

Regardless, the guys who generally stay associated with the teams at the lower levels of scouting do not change that often and are brought up in the same system and mentored by their predecessors often. The guys he learned from had their knowledged passed down to the next guy after him, ya know?

• Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Success said:

Sounds like the Pats are out of the mix on Jackson.

They'll roll back what I like to call the "Losman/Edwards sequel" of Jones/Zappe.

I'm not sure you can say the Cheaters are out since they were never really in it, what with Lamar's contract demands, much less the 2-1st rounders they'd have to give the hated Ravens. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm not sure you can say the Cheaters are out since they were never really in it, what with Lamar's contract demands, much less the 2-1st rounders they'd have to give the hated Ravens. 

I think that they can trade him for less than that if he doesn’t sign the tag, right? I think the Ravens still hold his rights, he’s not just a UFA right now.  

18 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think that they can trade him for less than that if he doesn’t sign the tag, right? I think the Ravens still hold his rights, he’s not just a UFA right now. 

I don't believe so and I don't see why they would agree to trade him for less.  And he'd need to sign the tag before being traded. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.