Bills free agency tracker - NFL free agency began 3/15 - post all NFL updates here

chongli

Just now, MAJBobby said:

And at the end of the day I do think there is a very good chance they go LBer in the draft at some point.  

Big thing I see is the Bills need to stop slow rolling development by putting an aging Vet over their rookies, takes too much cap space to just get what you would likely get from your Rookie Contract.  

They really do it alot, if you like the player enough to draft in the 3rd round you should like him enough to be in your future plans.

How often with this regime are we here as fans saying get so and so SNAPS

I couldn’t agree with this more.  We need to start utilizing cheap labor.  Too many misses in the draft that we cover up with older guys in shorter but still expensive deals.  I don’t mind the occasional Emmanuel Sanders.  But no more saffolds and OJ Howards and last year’s AJ Klein and Bease and Brown.  

6 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The Milano extension, Bernard pick, and second Milano extension tells me McBeane knew they weren’t bringing Edmunds back a long time ago. 

They’ve always favored pass defense over run defense, Bernard is highly unproven, thought to have been over drafted, and very small; but is also highly intelligent and great pass defending LB. Perfect situation to draft a player like Bernard and let him sit and learn from guys like Edmunds, Milano, Klein, and Dodson. 

I think it’s extremely likely that it’s Bernard vs Dobson for the spot next to Milano. I can see AJ Klein returning for another year as well for veteran depth. 

Nothing against Klein, but if he’s back I have to question why Spector was kept on the roster last year.  Especially at the expense of Hodgins, which caused us to trot out a washed WR (Brown) and a nearly washed WR (Bease) last year.

19 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The Milano extension, Bernard pick, and second Milano extension tells me McBeane knew they weren’t bringing Edmunds back a long time ago. 

They’ve always favored pass defense over run defense, Bernard is highly unproven, thought to have been over drafted, and very small; but is also highly intelligent and great pass defending LB. Perfect situation to draft a player like Bernard and let him sit and learn from guys like Edmunds, Milano, Klein, and Dodson. 

I think it’s extremely likely that it’s Bernard vs Dobson for the spot next to Milano. I can see AJ Klein returning for another year as well for veteran depth. 

I know the league is trending towards faster LBs who are a little smaller but the idea of Bernard and Milano at LB along with Oliver at DT scares the crap out of me.  Opposing teams will run us into the ground and keep Allen off the field.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I keep seeing posts about all of our expensive contract and missed picks... I'm still not sure I understand. Somehow, we've sustained being a top end team for 4 years now. McDermott and Beane have been here for 6, which means they've had 6 drafts and 2 classes qualify for free agency. 

On paper, it's damn near impossible for them to be bad drafters and to have sustained success this long. We may not have a plethora of impact guys like we want... but it's not this colossal mess some posters are making it out to be. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I keep seeing posts about all of our expensive contract and missed picks... I'm still not sure I understand. Somehow, we've sustained being a top end team for 4 years now. McDermott and Beane have been here for 6, which means they've had 6 drafts and 2 classes qualify for free agency. 

On paper, it's damn near impossible for them to be bad drafters and to have sustained success this long. We may not have a plethora of impact guys like we want... but it's not this colossal mess some posters are making it out to be. 

It's a pending mess that is growing as players get older and some leave. 

• Dislike 2

12 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Hey, hey pal! You better watch it with that reason and rationality around here. They don't take kindly to your kind 'round here....

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

we still have the Bengals game in our heads. Once we draft and OTAs start, I'll be ok again

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

2017 and 2018 were their best drafts.  I'm not counting 2022 because it's too soon.  Rousseau looks like a good pick so far and they extended Knox.  Too many misses on early picks.  Beane needs to do better.

8 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I know the league is trending towards faster LBs who are a little smaller but the idea of Bernard and Milano at LB along with Oliver at DT scares the crap out of me.  Opposing teams will run us into the ground and keep Allen off the field.

Just throwin' it out there.

Don't be shocked if they take Jack Campbell of Iowa at 27, or possibly in the 2nd.  He's won every award a defensive player can win in the college ranks.  He does everything well, great instincts, smart and 6'4" 245 lbs.

The big question everyone had was his athleticism.  He got the "he's too slow" label and I think people think he was going to run a 5.0 40.

He didn't.  He ran a 4.64 at the Combine.  In other drills there, he was in the top 3 to top 5.  Took the top spot in the 3 cone and short shuttle drills. 

He answered doubts about his athleticism.  if its run D, it improves with him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DapperCam said:

Curious who is going to be our MLB. It kind of goes against Beane’s philosophy so far to draft a MLB and pencil them in as day 1 starter. I would expect at least some kind of vet signing there.

Except this is the exact thing that happened with Edmunds 4 or 5 years ago

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Lost said:

Singletary is underrated.  I'll be glad to have him back

He is so good teams are just fighting to get him. Need to quit the bias ; he is very avg and has bad hands for a back. Nice guy, ok blocker , but on this team that’s not saying much with the accepted bull fighting cape style of blocking.  If he is that good, why no offers as we have seen teams not being hesitant  to sign backs at pretty good $ as they know the importance of the running game.  But BILLS fans don’t want to draft a good one early , and they complain about paying one. So just keep letting josh feel the pressure to make  plays as the talent around him is now below that of kc, fins, jets, bengals who all have good backs.

Let’s keep struggling with short yardage and goal line situations.  Let’s just keep running it back with same guys , yet now motor would not be on a rookie deal.  Want to keep losing in the playoffs, or watch, the east is much tougher this year already seeing roster changes, so without improvement i think the fins , maybe the jets take the division.as they keep improving.

Motor was terrible with screens. Still had some fumble issues.  We already have cook who is shifty but undersized. This team will not win a SB without a tough back, see kc with their back , tough , hard to tackle runner.  Beane has missed on almost every back he has brought in,, moss being the glaring example.and he luckily didn’t land mckitrick (sorry sp),,,,,cook may yet develop tho.  

The k gun passing attack was so good because thurm could catch and he was a great runner. We need talent, not same mediocre small back. Thurm could run between the tackles. Ask him and tasker about it. Get a legitimate powerful , aggressive back and suddenly the lbs cant drop and our passing opens up. Devin is a great kid , overachievedvfor his size, but he was not powerful enough

. Help josh, get a legit back Beane. Keep being cheap , then accept the results like the feeling after last years Cincy game when we struggle passing in snow or cold. Yeah, just keep the offense that scored 10  at home in the playoffs intact cuz we liked an underrated guy! Lol!   How bout get a guy who is not underrated, but actually produces and can catch a simple pass in the flats or more?  We just cant keep settling on such inadequate production from the backs.

Josh is good but he has proven he needs support or he starts pressing and sorry , but at this point he is no Mahomes ,,,,but even he has a good running game when called on. No shame in that, whatever it takes, Kelly had thurm, Josh needs a quality back. Beane is fixing o line, d help will be limited, so outscore , out possession teams. Win that way , josh plays longer, its a win -win!

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

And at the end of the day I do think there is a very good chance they go LBer in the draft at some point.  

Big thing I see is the Bills need to stop slow rolling development by putting an aging Vet over their rookies, takes too much cap space to just get what you would likely get from your Rookie Contract.  

They really do it alot, if you like the player enough to draft in the 3rd round you should like him enough to be in your future plans.

How often with this regime are we here as fans saying get so and so SNAPS.  This is probably my biggest complaint with this regime at times

True, but they do try and integrate them in with a developmental plan for bigger roles.  Like they tried last year with Gabe and Spencer.  That didn't work out so well but you can see the logic.

As for LB I hope they go light and use the resources on offense.  For LB let Bernard and this years 3rd rounder (Campbell?) and bargain basement vet LB compete for the job.  The surprise re-signing of Poyer should reduce the money alloted to MLB.  The defensive talent seems loaded to me outside of this one MLB position.  I would like the FO to only get bargain basement signings on the defense now (which include Phillips + Lawson, and a draft choice or two).

I would rather the resources go to offense, particularly the OL and if possible a WR (w bargain RB).  WR is tricky because the FA market stinks.  A veteran of the talked about likes of OBJ, D Hop, J Jeudy, M Evans/C Godwin.  I admire the FO's ability to wait on RBs, but if they can't pull the trigger on one of the veteran WRs I have to say for me there is a lure to D Henry.

22 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

It's a pending mess that is growing as players get older and some leave. 

You may be correct, but we don’t know what the future holds.

Gabe Davis, Tyler Bass and Dane Jackson from 2020 are candidates to stick as contributors on a 2nd deal. Up to this point they’ve done their job as “cheap talent” supplementing veterans. 

Rousseau is an extension candidate down the road and has shown signs of progression. He was a good find all the way at the back end of RD1. Brown/Doyle have shown potential, enough where they will at least provide depth on the OL. Brown could still click. 

2022 is actually pretty promising and another reason why I’m not quite sure why people are so down. Kaiir Elam looked great down the stretch and conceivably gets his big deal when Tre White’s is up. James Cook was productive in a limited role… hopefully Dorsey makes some adjustments. Shakir has potential and flashed it on multiple occasions. Benford looks to be a great find late and maybe even a Poyer/Hyde replacement down the line. Bernard sticks out like a sore thumb after last year… but he might be replacing Edmunds. As it stands right now… that’s 3 starters, 2 high volume rotational pieces and a ST contributor in Spector for 2023. 

4 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

True, but they do try and integrate them in with a developmental plan for bigger roles.  Like they tried last year with Gabe and Spencer.  That didn't work out so well but you can see the logic.

As for LB I hope they go light and use the resources on offense.  For LB let Bernard and this years 3rd rounder (Campbell?) and bargain basement vet LB compete for the job.  The surprise re-signing of Poyer should reduce the money alloted to MLB.  The defensive talent seems loaded to me outside of this one MLB position.  I would like the FO to only get bargain basement signings on the defense now (which include Phillips + Lawson, and a draft choice or two).

I would rather the resources go to offense, particularly the OL and if possible a WR (w bargain RB).  WR is tricky because the FA market stinks.  A veteran of the talked about likes of OBJ, D Hop, J Jeudy, M Evans/C Godwin.  I admire the FO's ability to wait on RBs, but if they can't pull the trigger on one of the veteran WRs I have to say for me there is a lure to D Henry.

I do get that in concept but when you have your Paid QB, Paid WR, Paid DEs.  You need to get value out of rookie deals, and I dont think with their slow incorporation concept they every really maximize the rookie contract.  

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

How often with this regime are we here as fans saying get so and so SNAPS.  This is probably my biggest complaint with this regime at times

This. I don’t think drafting is the actual problem. It’s this staff’s ability of developing rookies and even vets that are new people to our systems. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I do get that in concept but when you have your Paid QB, Paid WR, Paid DEs.  You need to get value out of rookie deals, and I dont think with their slow incorporation concept they every really maximize the rookie contract.  

Damn.  I wonder what the terms are

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.