Jordan Poyer Discussion - Does he stay?

Warriorspikes51

26 minutes ago, Thurman_34 said:

If he goes to Miami. That secondary will be tough! He’s still a good player at this stage of his career.

Yeah, while the Ramsey trade doesn’t scare me, there is no denying adding both Ramsey and Poyer would be a pretty tough secondary.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

He's gone and that's ok. We are a coaching staff loaded with defensive minds. We should be able to find cheaper guys and scheme a solid defense. It is offense where we need to invest. 

We were missing chunks of our defense for most of last year and still managed to run a top 10 defense. How about just stop being so predictable in your Cover 2 Zone and run more stunts along the defensive line. 

Not sure how this regime can't grasp that every weapon you add is another player on the opposing defense who can't focus on our QB. Honestly we made it way to easy on opposing defenses last year.

1 hour ago, Thurman_34 said:

If he goes to Miami. That secondary will be tough! He’s still a good player at this stage of his career.

Good for him. Not real impressed with his SM stuff. Go play for the Bills rival. Just stop telling the world about it.  At $10 m Bills need to pass on this deal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sheesh.  Imagine Miami adding Ramsey and Poyer.  I’ll be really disappointed if he goes there.  And I fully expect it to happen.  No taxes and has a house there.  Makes too much sense 

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I have to agree with you. After reading your response I went back and reread her tweet. Seems to me that they already have a deal, especially with the sweating emoji, and I would assume that it’s Miami. Either way, oh well…..bye?

If they do that is tampering.  Of course Miami has done that before

• Like (+1) 1

Not gonna lie, if Edmunds is gone, I want Poyer back.

Make it a 2 year deal. Dude was still playing at such a high level this season even with 6 injuries. He has an entire offseason to heal up.

If I could choose between Edmunds or Poyer I'd bring Edmunds back, but that doesn't look like it's happening and honestly his pricetag and lack of impact plays just makes me hesitate.

Poyer, on the other hand, is the vocal heart and soul of the defense and played really well in 2022 despite all the injuries and being without his running mate.

Why not? Bring him back.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Not gonna lie, if Edmunds is gone, I want Poyer back.

Make it a 2 year deal. Dude was still playing at such a high level this season even with 6 injuries. He has an entire offseason to heal up.

If I could choose between Edmunds or Poyer I'd bring Edmunds back, but that doesn't look like it's happening and honestly his pricetag and lack of impact plays just makes me hesitate.

Poyer, on the other hand, is the vocal heart and soul of the defense and played really well in 2022 despite all the injuries and being without his running mate.

Why not? Bring him back.

Because you can’t hide a 2 year contract.  Edmunds, we could backload the deal, which doesn’t make much sense now with Milano extended.  Poyer, we’re paying say 2/20? 10M AAV over 2 years, maybe less, either way that’s a lot of cap in an off-season where we need to give Allen some help. 

And Poyer was not playing at a high level.  He was a liability towards the end of the season.  Injuries played a part for sure, but also those injuries really racked up last year…

Edited by SCBills

4 hours ago, Success said:

If we re-sign Poyer, I'll actually lose a little bit of faith. This is exactly the time when you cut ties w/ an aging player.

And I love Poyer. But it's over.

He's reached the age of diminishing returns. Add injuries and contract expectations you must end ties. We'll have to do this again in 12 months with Micah.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Because you can’t hide a 2 year contract.  Edmunds, we could backload the deal, which doesn’t make much sense now with Milano extended.  Poyer, we’re paying say 2/20? 10M AAV over 2 years, maybe less, either way that’s a lot of cap in an off-season where we need to give Allen some help. 

And Poyer was not playing at a high level.  He was a liability towards the end of the season.  Injuries played a part for sure, but also those injuries really racked up last year…

This idea of hiding contracts ignores what happens in year 2 or year 3 of said contract.

If we haven't retained Edmunds at what would have been a minimum $8 or $9 million CAP hit, using that money on one of the highest impact players on your defense over the last 5 or 6 years and biggest locker room guys might not be unwise.

I'm not predicting it happens, but if Edmunds walks, I'll be happy if it happens.

Safety is INCREDIBLY important in McDermott's defenses. 

2 hours ago, HaldimandBills said:

He's gone and that's ok. We are a coaching staff loaded with defensive minds. We should be able to find cheaper guys and scheme a solid defense. It is offense where we need to invest. 

We were missing chunks of our defense for most of last year and still managed to run a top 10 defense. How about just stop being so predictable in your Cover 2 Zone and run more stunts along the defensive line. 

Not sure how this regime can't grasp that every weapon you add is another player on the opposing defense who can't focus on our QB. Honestly we made it way to easy on opposing defenses last year.

Agree that the Bills need offensive players and weapons. 

However, I have to question the statement the Bills are "loaded with defensive minds."

Couldn't stop the Chiefs from

scoring in 13 seconds or in OT. Did you see the defense vs Cinci. Some game plan? 

I'm sorry those defensive minds are so great. 

• Agree 1

Dolphin mercenaries going there for all the wrong reasons.  At least ones that don’t work out for Championship aspirations.  To avoid taxes - sure.  

Let them shoulder being favorites.  

Watch it all come crumbling with the first Terron Armstead injury or Poyer - who gets his pay day - decides he no longer really needs to get on a plane with busted up ribs.   

This isn’t the NBA.    

Edited by Big Blitz

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Yeah you can.  Just add void years. Very easy to hide any contract nowadays 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.