SVB Bank.

If anyone is interested in what actually happened with SVB, I’d recommend this episode of The Indicator.

The main points:

- SVB’s deposits shot up in 2020 during a boom in tech companies, which make up most of its customers.

- SVB put the deposits into treasury bonds which are generally safe bets. 

- However, SVB had three vulnerabilities:

1. The bonds had long maturities, so they cashed out way into the future. When interest rates went up, the value of the bonds went down. More than half of SVB’s investments were in these bonds (compared to 25% average of most banks). SVB also did not hedge to balance against the risks of interest rates going up 

2. SVB’s business was concentrated in the tech sector, which is very sensitive to interest rates. With turmoil in the tech sector, they were getting fewer new deposits to offset the risk of devaluing bonds. 

3. SVB had a disproportionate amount of large deposits. Only 10% of its deposits were covered by FDIC’s insurance compared to an average of 50% for other banks. This drove customer panic. 

- Moody’s recently told SVB that it might downgrade its credit due to the risk of its bond value decreasing. 

- SVB planned to avoid a downgrade by selling its bonds at a loss and then bringing in new investors. They sold the bonds but had trouble getting new investments. 

- People could then see the trouble SVB was in and it’s depositors panicked and pulled $42 billion (20%) of the deposits.

So you have a bank that managed its risk poorly and collapsed due to the unique nature of its business combined with bad management. 

Or you can be an idiot and claim this was wokeism or whatever. 

Edited by ChiGoose
Edited for clarity. (Thanks, Orlando Tim)
  • Like (+1) 2

Financial reporters: SVB’s collapse was due to poor risk management in the face of raising rates. 

The dumbest people in the world: SVB had DEI, therefore, it’s failure was due to DEI even though literally every bank does DEI and they didn’t have these problems. 

Correlation isn’t causation, people. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChiGoose said:

Financial reporters: SVB’s collapse was due to poor risk management in the face of raising rates. 

The dumbest people in the world: SVB had DEI, therefore, it’s failure was due to DEI even though literally every bank does DEI and they didn’t have these problems. 

Correlation isn’t causation, people. 

Your last two posts seem to contradict each other some.  Long term bonds are not safe for a bank, especially unless rates are expected to fall. To state they were considered safe is incorrect, they locked in the long term rate for a short term boost. I don't care if it was DEI or lack of a risk management director, the cost for the bailout needs to be substantial for the people who made this decision. If you allow them to keep their millions while bailing them out we are not even pretending that merit matters so long as you paid the politicians.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Your last two posts seem to contradict each other some.  Long term bonds are not safe for a bank, especially unless rates are expected to fall. To state they were considered safe is incorrect, they locked in the long term rate for a short term boost. I don't care if it was DEI or lack of a risk management director, the cost for the bailout needs to be substantial for the people who made this decision. If you allow them to keep their millions while bailing them out we are not even pretending that merit matters so long as you paid the politicians.

You are 100% absolutely correct. I meant to state that government bonds are generally safe but SVB’s investment strategy was not. Appreciate the catch. Not always easy to type all that out on mobile. 

And yeah, the DEI stuff is completely irrelevant. It has absolutely nothing to do with this but I guess there’s a lot of gullible people out there. 

3 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

If anyone is interested in what actually happened with SVB, I’d recommend this episode of The Indicator.

The main points:

- SVB’s deposits shot up in 2020 during a boom in tech companies, which make up most of its customers.

1. The bonds had long maturities, so they cashed out way into the future. When interest rates went up, the value of the bonds went down. More than half of SVB’s investments were in these bonds (compared to 25% average of most banks). SVB also did not hedge to balance against the risks of interest rates going up 

2. SVB’s business was concentrated in the tech sector, which is very sensitive to interest rates. With turmoil in the tech sector, they were getting fewer new deposits to offset the risk of devaluing bonds. 

3. SVB had a disproportionate amount of large deposits. Only 10% of its deposits were covered by FDIC’s insurance compared to an average of 50% for other banks. This drove customer panic. 

- Moody’s recently told SVB that it might downgrade its credit due to the risk of its bond value decreasing. 

- SVB planned to avoid a downgrade by selling its bonds at a loss and then bringing in new investors. They sold the bonds but had trouble getting new investments. 

- People could then see the trouble SVB was in and it’s depositors panicked and pulled $42 billion (20%) of the deposits.

So you have a bank that managed its risk poorly and collapsed due to the unique nature of its business combined with bad management. 

This is an excellent summary.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

The main points:

i wouldnt discount the ppp giveaways as excess money deposited. 

dont leave out the gov was asking for large investments in bonds to take out liquity and help tamp inflation.

you talk about long maturities but i think it was very simple to predict rate hikes as the fed had very little tools left with 0% interest for so long and inflation going out of control. SELL. they were fools.

cant predict their own major sector? this looks more as if we can be risky because our failure is not a risk. poppa gov will pick up the tab from working slobs.

read above.

so overall this was caused by inflation and its reaction by the fed. what caused this situation? point blank at first BOTH but overall dems ridiculous covid crap.

banks playing risky knowing the gov will swing in while spitting in the face of customers. hiring higher up from the last bank issue. handing golden parachutes to there guys as the building implodes and gently landing in the lap of the fed who will pay their bills for them. same as usual.

what should be pointed out with the wokeness is how the bank got top notch esg rating. how freely they gave to woke issues tens of millions and how at the end of the day all of that equated to the same old bank slime that happily took their cut and didnt give a crap about real people...the ones who invested and the taxpayers that will ultimately pay for their poor managment that made off with millions. just a reminder what all this caring and equity these corporation really think. 

but they should pay their fair share!! 😅😅😅😅 funny. hey banks roll them dice baby. risk is no object. we got your back and everyone making the decisions can take there bag on the way out. 

maybe this sort of thing will make you understand...whether hes a liar or not...why some are attracted to someone says this system is crooked and we need to drain the swamp, while dems run to a lifelong career politician that built the house of cards. 

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

i wouldnt discount the ppp giveaways as excess money deposited. 

dont leave out the gov was asking for large investments in bonds to take out liquity and help tamp inflation.

you talk about long maturities but i think it was very simple to predict rate hikes as the fed had very little tools left with 0% interest for so long and inflation going out of control. SELL. they were fools.

cant predict their own major sector? this looks more as if we can be risky because our failure is not a risk. poppa gov will pick up the tab from working slobs.

read above.

so overall this was caused by inflation and its reaction by the fed. what caused this situation? point blank at first BOTH but overall dems ridiculous covid crap.

banks playing risky knowing the gov will swing in while spitting in the face of customers. hiring higher up from the last bank issue. handing golden parachutes to there guys as the building implodes and gently landing in the lap of the fed who will pay their bills for them. same as usual.

what should be pointed out with the wokeness is how the bank got top notch esg rating. how freely they gave to woke issues tens of millions and how at the end of the day all of that equated to the same old bank slime that happily took their cut and didnt give a crap about real people...the ones who invested and the taxpayers that will ultimately pay for their poor managment that made off with millions. just a reminder what all this caring and equity these corporation really think. 

but they should pay their fair share!! 😅😅😅😅 funny. hey banks roll them dice baby. risk is no object. we got your back and everyone making the decisions can take there bag on the way out. 

maybe this sort of thing will make you understand...whether hes a liar or not...why some are attracted to someone says this system is crooked and we need to drain the swamp, while dems run to a lifelong career politician that built the house of cards. 

You were so close! So close to getting it and being right! But then you couldn’t help yourself but to veer off a cliff into being wrong. I can’t blame you, seems most of PPP is doing the same thing.

Inflation played a part in this only because the risk management at SVP somehow could not see the obvious: the Fed would continue raising rates through the end of 2022 and into 2023. This was staggeringly obvious to everyone except (apparently) the risk managers at SVB. 

Basically every other bank is managing their risk portfolio to account for the inflation and the expected rate increases. If this was solely and only inflation’s fault, all of them would be failing too. But they’re not because this isn’t a story of inflation wrecking the banking industry, or wokeness, or ESG. It’s a story of a poorly run bank that was uniquely situated to fail.

Banks with good risk management didn’t have this problems. DEI or not. ESG or not. The large bank I used to work for that has a ton of DEI stuff is doing great. Because this has nothing to do with that. 

If your theory was correct, that this was because of inflation, it would already be systemic and far more than two banks would have failed already. Isolate your variables before going off on a limb so you don’t come out looking like a fool. 

But hey, if you really want to be wrong, I guess I can’t stop you. 

26 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

You were so close! So close to getting it and being right! But then you couldn’t help yourself but to veer off a cliff into being wrong. I can’t blame you, seems most of PPP is doing the same thing.

Inflation played a part in this only because the risk management at SVP somehow could not see the obvious: the Fed would continue raising rates through the end of 2022 and into 2023. This was staggeringly obvious to everyone except (apparently) the risk managers at SVB. 

Basically every other bank is managing their risk portfolio to account for the inflation and the expected rate increases. If this was solely and only inflation’s fault, all of them would be failing too. But they’re not because this isn’t a story of inflation wrecking the banking industry, or wokeness, or ESG. It’s a story of a poorly run bank that was uniquely situated to fail.

Banks with good risk management didn’t have this problems. DEI or not. ESG or not. The large bank I used to work for that has a ton of DEI stuff is doing great. Because this has nothing to do with that. 

If your theory was correct, that this was because of inflation, it would already be systemic and far more than two banks would have failed already. Isolate your variables before going off on a limb so you don’t come out looking like a fool. 

But hey, if you really want to be wrong, I guess I can’t stop you. 

was i so close? interest hikes wasn't due to covid? covid reaction of shutting down the economy didn't dramatically effect inflation? handing out tons of money with everyone sitting at home not making the things they want is a crazy conspiracy of why inflation and all that followed happened or you arent looking at the run on the banks and how stopping trading the last 2 days and gov intervention is effecting this veeeeery isolated incident of one bank making some whoopsies. you like hand waving those. lets let the ONE bank fail..opps i mean two..whats that three? anyways. and trade as normal and see where we land. off a cliff as you put it and we all fall with this SH/÷$how.

lets see just a bit over halfway done. covid lies to keep people locked down for YEARS. ITS STILL NOT OVER TO THEM. its ok. afganistan disaster. its ok. crushing inflation. its ok. crime rampant with no change in rhetoric or action to reverse coarse. its ok. boarder crisis. its ok. no peace talks for poss nuclear war. its ok. banking/economic collapse. its ok. rare direct questions answered by reporters walking out on them regularly. its ok. non stop climate agenda until a climate disaster destroys a us town. its ok. gov colluding with the biggest public square for citizens voices. its ok.

hows that for a cliff? cause you been on here excusing alot of it and this is just another example of the goose swooping into the swamp to tell everyone. its ok. not my prez. any point its not ok? any comparable examples to the evil regime before this besides the dredded jan 6 that killed noone..but scared the crap out of all the people WHO ARE BENEFITTING off these things that are crushing us?

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

was i so close? interest hikes wasn't due to covid? covid reaction of shutting down the economy didn't dramatically effect inflation? handing out tons of money with everyone sitting at home not making the things they want is a crazy conspiracy of why inflation and all that followed happened or you arent looking at the run on the banks and how stopping trading the last 2 days and gov intervention is effecting this veeeeery isolated incident of one bank making some whoopsies. you like hand waving those. lets let the ONE bank fail..opps i mean two..whats that three? anyways. and trade as normal and see where we land. off a cliff as you put it and we all fall with this SH/÷$how.

lets see just a bit over halfway done. covid lies to keep people locked down for YEARS. ITS STILL NOT OVER TO THEM. its ok. afganistan disaster. its ok. crushing inflation. its ok. crime rampant with no change in rhetoric or action to reverse coarse. its ok. boarder crisis. its ok. no peace talks for poss nuclear war. its ok. banking/economic collapse. its ok. rare direct questions answered by reporters walking out on them regularly. its ok. non stop climate agenda until a climate disaster destroys a us town. its ok. gov colluding with the biggest public square for citizens voices. its ok.

hows that for a cliff? cause you been on here excusing alot of it and this is just another example of the goose swooping into the swamp to tell everyone. its ok. not my prez. any point its not ok?

If you have a coherent thought or question, I’d be happy to address it. But it seems like you just want to ramble about anything and everything and try to connect dots that aren’t there. 

SVB failed because they had unbelievably incompetent risk managers. Signature Bank failed because they were heavily invested in the the Ponzi scheme that is crypto. 

If your theory was correct, we’d already have dozens and dozens of bank failures. But you’re wrong, so we haven’t. 

Inflation is a problem and it was exacerbated by the easy money policies of the current and previous administrations as a response to COVID. They would argue it was a necessary risk to prevent a broader collapse, but your mileage may vary. That does not excuse the poor strategies of the two failed banks. 

Edited by ChiGoose

8 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

If you have a coherent thought or question, I’d be happy to address it. But it seems like you just want to ramble about anything and everything and try to connect dots that aren’t there. 

SVB failed because they had unbelievably incompetent risk managers. Signature Bank failed because they were heavily invested in the the Ponzi scheme that is crypto. 

If your theory was correct, we’d already have downs and dozens of bank failures. But you’re wrong, so we haven’t. 

Inflation is a problem and it was exacerbated by the easy money policies of the current and previous administrations as a response to COVID. They would argue it was a necessary risk to prevent a broader collapse, but your mileage may vary. That does not excuse the poor strategies of the two failed banks. 

my coherent questions was edited at the end. i accept trump fell for the covid shtick at first but wanted to change strategies. he helped cause inflation as well but no where close. you talk about it as if it has no major factors. its just somthing that happens. you can do that and then just tell the tale of the bank that made bad investment and cut out the story where it all came to be to begin with but i see the whole picture. you avoid it all cause it would go against..your faith. like i said the banks are being artificially propped up..that ends your this was isolated..why isnt this effecting more. as for the rest its just ramblings.. to a biased person unwilling to look at just how far we fallen from where we were because thats blasphemy. so you stay insulated from that mirror so youll never be wrong. me and everyone else looking at this country will continue to "ramble" amongst ourselves.

Edited by Buffarukus
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffarukus said:

lol. my coherent questions was edited at the end. i accept trump fell for the covid shtick at first but wanted to change strategies. he helped cause inflation as well but no where close. you talk about it as if it has no major factors. its just somthing that happens lol. you can do that and then just tell the tale of the bank that made bad investment and cut out the story where it all came to be to begin with but i see the whole picture. you avoid it all cause it would go against..your faith. like i said the banks are being artificially propped up..that ends your this was isolated..why isnt this effecting more. as for the rest its just ramblings.. to a biased person unwilling to look at just how far we fallen from where we were because thats blasphemy. so you stay insulated from that mirror so youll never be wrong. me and everyone else looking at this country will continue to "ramble" amongst ourselves.

Making a lot of assumptions there, buddy. Maybe take a beat and go touch some grass. Or read what I actually wrote instead of what you seem to wish I wrote. 

5 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Making a lot of assumptions there, buddy. Maybe take a beat and go touch some grass. Or read what I actually wrote instead of what you seem to wish I wrote. 

assumptions? they pushed money in due to  "risk of a broader collapse"..from what exactly? lol. ok im going to go touch this grass and stare at the clouds. seems maybe you should do less of that and look into who was lying and why. you may then better understand THE BEGINNING of why we are watching...oh were up to two banks now? hmm..collapsed by some stuff that couldnt be helped as "gov is big with alot of moving parts makes mistakes". that was a quote from a previous convo on the covid lies. it may be a enlightening but will require reading alot of ramblings from folks you may not agree with and feel superior to. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

assumptions? they pushed money in due to  "risk of a broader collapse"..from what exactly? lol. ok im going to go touch this grass and stare at the clouds. seems maybe you should do less of that and look into who was lying and why. you may then better understand THE BEGINNING of why we are watching...oh were up to two banks now? hmm..collapsed by some stuff that couldnt be helped as "gov is big with alot of moving parts makes mistakes". that was a quote from a previous convo on the covid lies. it may be a enlightening but will require reading alot of ramblings from folks you may not agree with and feel superior to. 

COVID and the response to COVID changed the risk environment and increased inflation. Most financial institutions adjusted their risk portfolios to reflect this. SVB did not. 

You can go off on whatever rambling non-sequitur you want, but it’s just going to make you look foolish. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

If your theory was correct, we’d already have dozens and dozens of bank failures. But you’re wrong, so we haven’t. 

This, nicely summarized..  But the MAGQ's have no appetite for anything that interferes with their straight line and deeply flawed thinking.  The site is a microcosm of America.  Except in the real world their are less MAGA's...but I hear that trump has some nice NFT's for sale.  If it weren't for the fact that millions of $'s of these have been sold, I'd assume it was feigned ignorance.  I guess they [put their money where their mouth is.

• Eyeroll 1