The Best Rock Guitar Player this World will ever know...

T&C

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

Jimi Hendrix thought Terry Kath was the best guitarist in the world. His solo starts at the 3:00 mark:

I think he's probably the best rhythm player I've ever heard.

• Disagree 1

On 3/12/2023 at 1:10 AM, redtail hawk said:

If you are listening to Clapton, to Mark Knopfler, John Mayer….you are listening to JJ Cale  

the original Slow Hand.

Cocaine- that’s JJ Cale.

After Midnight- that’s JJ Cale

skynyrd- Call Me The Breeze- That’s JJ

JJ is the real McCoy.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

If you are listening to Clapton, to Mark Knopfler, John Mayer….you are listening to JJ Cale  

the original Slow Hand.

Cocaine- that’s JJ Cale.

After Midnight- that’s JJ Cale

skynyrd- Call Me The Breeze- That’s JJ

JJ is the real McCoy.  

Agreed but Clapton is a prolific songwriter too:  https://www.whereseric.com/the-vault/song-information/alphabetical-list-songs-eric-clapton

10 hours ago, OGTEleven said:

Here he plays backup.  At 7:13 the look on his face says it all.

These above 2 clips were first time listens for me. I am a fan of the blues genre so Buddy Guy was right in my wheelhouse. The Dire Straits ws a nice surprise. That is one band I have never listened to that much. My main memory was Live Aid and "The Sultans of Swing".  I have heard  Mr Knopfler is a guitar virtuoso by reputation. This clip proves it. I hear "sultans of swing" type riffs in this.  The solos are a bit similar sounding to me.  Interesting thanks 🙂

On 3/13/2023 at 11:41 AM, Nextmanup said:

I love videos of this type; there are about 10 million complete nobodies, often children, who have phenomenal technical skills on the guitar.

What separates them from the famous crew is that they are not writing all-time great music themselves.

You are not going to go very far at all as a musician playing other people's work.

What makes Jimmy Page phenomenal is that not only can he physically play all the solos in Stairway to Heaven, HE WROTE THEM AND CREATED THEM FROM NOTHING.

That's an entirely different challenge!

There are a MILLION great guitarists out there; SRV might be as good as ANY OF THEM.  The man just had total control of the instrument and could do anything he wanted on it, at least within his style of playing.

The funny thing is I am not even a particularly big SRV fan, as that's not really my kind of music.  By my God, the guy was a freaking phenom of the guitar.

Same with singers.  Millions of people who can sing but without writing your own songs or someone to go it for you, you can only go so far.  That's why few of the contestants on "American Idol" and especially "The Voice" do anything. 

4 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

its still and will always be hendrix. prince most likely #2. then you can have a discussion among duane, jerry, slowhand, stevie, and page.

By and large (I can't speak to Prince) all outstanding blues players. Zappa was that and more imo.  

23 hours ago, muppy said:

These above 2 clips were first time listens for me. I am a fan of the blues genre so Buddy Guy was right in my wheelhouse. The Dire Straits ws a nice surprise. That is one band I have never listened to that much. My main memory was Live Aid and "The Sultans of Swing".  I have heard  Mr Knopfler is a guitar virtuoso by reputation. This clip proves it. I hear "sultans of swing" type riffs in this.  The solos are a bit similar sounding to me.  Interesting thanks 🙂

If you weren't too familiar with Knopfler you can consider yourself lucky because there is SO MUCH to explore.  He plays many different styles and has songs from countless genres.  I wouldn't know where to start with examples.  His post Dire Straits catalog is better (in my opinion) than his Dire Straits work, which itself is amazing and hopelessly underrated. 

I don't really know what to recommend.  Just explore if you're inclined.  You may want to start with an album called Shangri-La.  He also did a whole album of duets with EmmyLou Harris which is a lot of fun.  You can't miss really.  I find if you listen to one of his records several times, the song you liked the least at first becomes the song you like the most.  There is a lot to his music that gets missed initially.

He's an amazing guitarist that I'd put with anyone and somehow he is an even better songwriter.  Most of his songs are about everyday people.  Some are about famous people or semi-famous people (Ray Kroc, Sonny Liston, Mason and Dixon).  Below is one about Wile E. Coyote (yes) and one of his go-to live songs called Hill Farmer's Blues.  The intro to that one is from the soundtrack of Cal.  His more famous soundtracks are from The Princess Bride and Local Hero.

1:15 - 2:49  Duane's solo before he passes it on to Dickey Betts.  This is Duane's last solo recording, shortly before his death.  Symbolizing passing the torch to Betts.  My personal favorite solo of all time.  Keep listening and you can hear how a master can just slide into a rhythm role effortlessly after a killer solo.

Edited by Mark80

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.