Regardless of what you think of him as a coach, McDermott is a really good man.

Draconator

I think it’s a cool video but I don’t think he made the decision right there, coach likely told him ahead of time kid’s getting a scholarship and McDermott got to deliver the message. Cool moment, but not really a character moment for McDermott. I do think he oozes character otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HamSandwhich said:

I think it’s a cool video but I don’t think he made the decision right there, coach likely told him ahead of time kid’s getting a scholarship and McDermott got to deliver the message. Cool moment, but not really a character moment for McDermott. I do think he oozes character otherwise. 

Yeah that thing was choreographed but still a cool moment for the kid.  No one can or should ever doubt Sean's character.  He's an amazing human being who still is searching to refine other areas of improvement.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

I don’t know man, it seemed pretty authentic to me. 

Rumor has it Rex Ryan makes all the scholarship decisions at Southwestern Oklahoma State without consulting anybody else on campus.  

37 minutes ago, Airseven said:

So what. This isn’t personal. You don’t know him. It’s about being a football coach. He should be judged in the context of wins and losses.

Yes and no. Life is so much bigger than football. It's not always about Xs and Os. Good character always counts and should be recognized. 

However, pro football is about winning. The character aspect takes a back seat to winning. If coaches don't win their character and good guy mentality will be secondary. 

• Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

So what. This isn’t personal. You don’t know him. It’s about being a football coach. He should be judged in the context of wins and losses.

No, he, like every other human on earth, should be judged, even in specific contexts like how good he is as an NFL head coach, based on many things. Yeah, wins and losses might be the biggest thing, but there's plenty more.

And Sean in in wins and losses is very good.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Yes and no. Life is so much bigger than football. It's not always about Xs and Os. Good character always counts and should be recognized. 

However, pro football is about winning. The character aspect takes a back seat to winning. If coaches don't win their character and good guy mentality will be secondary

So true. 👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Good thing his win-loss record is excellent then.

PS:  If someone gave me 5 guesses to figure out who wrote your highly predictable and tone deaf response to this thread, I would have won.  

• Haha (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Like Coach Beard says in Ted Lasso, these are professionals and wins and losses do matter and he wants to win. 

Nothing against McDermott as a person. He appears to be a fine communiticator and has shown that on multiple occasions.  I just don't think he is good enough to win a SuperBowl. 

It’s ironic you’re using a quote from Ted Lasso to highlight how wins and losses matter with the human element not being important 😂

Edited by JGMcD2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.