Bills reportedly interested in Jamaal Williams

SCBills

Just now, Warriorspikes51 said:

Well it should be Bears, Bengals or Bills for Jamaal Williams then

Bears can offer boatloads of money. Bengals offer a chance to win. 
Bills offer a chance to win and likely a bigger role than Bengals. 

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Respectfully, I don't think lack of running back talent is what cost the Bills in the playoffs.

I'd point to the offensive line looooong before I'd point to running back talent.

I refuse to believe that Jerrick McKinnon, Isaiah Pacheco, and Ronald Jones is a better trio than Devin Singletary, James Cook, and Nyheim Hines. But the Chiefs scored at will throughout the playoffs and won a championship, while the Bills scored 10 points at home and retreated to their couches. 

Offensive line. Playcalling. Not a lack of running back talent.

meh. If it converts a couple extra short yardage plays, and puts the ball in the end zone a few times more (both by scoring himself and by extending drives) I won’t complain about a lower dollar deal. 

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

meh. If it converts a couple extra short yardage plays, and puts the ball in the end zone a few times more (both by scoring himself and by extending drives) I won’t complain about a lower dollar deal. 

Imagine complaining about money that you don’t have to pay or are involved with in any way shape or form.

For the BILLS i dont think it matters much who the RB is but Jamaal could work. I get the appeal of the bigger names but prioritizing the o-line would be where i'd spend if i were gm. Teams like the Chiefs or Eagles or heck, any team with a good offensive line, all seem to be able to plug & play rb's & have success.

A King Henry would be great but could we even block for him?

The game is won & lost in the trenches & it all starts there, so thats where i would too. And not just depth guys but seriously attempt to build the best o-line in football.

Which also has an added benefit of protecting your highest paid player on the team, Josh Allen. Who when given the time can carve a defense up.

You couldn't do it in 1 offseason but with a plan in place to build the line piece by piece... over a few years you figure you should be on your way, no?

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

im guessing that Lions signed Montgomery means they are moving on from Jamaal and good news for the Bills IMO

That contract scares me….3 years $18M.  Does that mean Williams signs for 2 years $20M?  Too much for a RB…IMO

Just now, JohnNord said:

That contract scares me….3 years $18M.  Does that mean Williams signs for 2 years $20M?  Too much for a RB…IMO

Why would Williams get so much more than Montgomery? 

Granted he had a better 2022, but Montgomery has been the better back in prior years. 

If I were to guess, I think Williams gets a similar deal if not slightly less.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TOboy said:

Why would Williams get so much more than Montgomery? 

Granted he had a better 2022, but Montgomery has been the better back in prior years. 

If I were to guess, I think Williams gets a similar deal if not slightly less.

offer him the same deal.  Then go trade for Hopkins and extend him 2 years

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

No idea if this is a great football move to get this guy, personality wise though this guy seems awesome.

He’s amazing.  His persona is why he’s the only FA RB I want @ more than 3M-  dude is infectious and a huge part of the lion turnaround….  I thought.  

and then the lions sign Montgomery for 6 mill a year…..makes me think Jamaal wasn’t that great, or wants way too much money.  

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I think Montgomery's contract is probably the high end for Williams.  Or,  at least,  I wouldn't go over that (and preferably,  in the $4-5M per range).  Even at that point, I don't mind it too much if keeps some of those short yardage hits off Allen without having to burn an early draft pick to do it.  Additionally,  he'd also give them a realistic ball control option on those days when the weather isn't cooperating or if Allen is having an off day,  and that's something that they don't currently have.   

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Additionally,  he'd also give them a realistic ball control option on those days when the weather isn't cooperating or if Allen is having an off day,  and that's something that they don't currently have.   

good call, just looked it up.  4 career fumbles only 2 lost, over 915 carries and 160 receptions. 
0 fumbles playing 4 years in green bay

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Huh? 

They didn’t have realistic “ball control” options last season?… and who gives a ***** about ball control. Score a lot of points and more points than the other team. 

I'm not saying they should do it every game or anything,  but that having someone that could grind out 25-30 carries on a day when the wind is blowing 50 MPH in December might be useful.   

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

I'm not saying they should do it every game or anything,  but that having someone that could grind out 25-30 carries on a day when the wind is blowing 50 MPH in December might be useful.   

Or when up big in the 2nd half. 

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Huh? 

They didn’t have realistic “ball control” options last season?… and who gives a ***** about ball control. Score a lot of points and more points than the other team. 

Jamaal is basically what Beane tried to draft in Moss, just didn't pan out.  

We do need a running mate for Cook.  Williams brings a different skill set, that would help. 

This is the last position to overpay, so it would have to be the right price...otherwise, I'm looking to 4th round or later in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

That starts with blocking. Not the RB.

That's true up to a point.  They certainly need to improve their OL. The problem is,  the Bills only have two RBs on the roster at the moment,  and both of them are undersized guys that aren't well suited to that type of situation.  

I don't care how they do it.  They can draft one in R7 for all I care,  but to me,  this seems like a good opportunity to pick up a proven veteran who fits the role at a price that is likely within their FA budget. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.