S Harrison Smith

Buffalo_Stampede

37 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I knew that was coming.

I’m still trying to win the SB in 2023-  it’s possible.  We aren’t in a full rebuild.  We’re retooling with hopes of a Lombardi in 2023.  Cutting an all pro, team captain and leader of our defense that we clearly missed last season to save some money AND create another hole in the starting lineup doesn’t send the signal we’re trying to win to the fan base or the locker room.  That would be an epic fail

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m still trying to win the SB in 2023-  it’s possible.  We aren’t in a full rebuild.  We’re retooling with hopes of a Lombardi in 2023.  Cutting an all pro, team captain and leader of our defense that we clearly missed last season to save some money AND create another hole in the starting lineup doesn’t send the signal we’re trying to win to the fan base or the locker room.  That would be an epic fail

I knew that this was coming because I know how emotionally attached fans can be to their favorite players. I get it. I’m looking at the situation analytically and with a cold heart.

What good is a 32 year old safety who is coming off a major neck injury? Neck injuries are no joke. He missed 15 games last year.

We could probably free up $5M-$7M if we dump him. That money could go to OL/WR. Wouldn’t you rather we sign an elite player like Isaac Seumalo or a nice weapon for Josh? That alone pushes the needle forward more than an old safety who is damaged goods at this point.

Football is a cold world, I get it. 

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

When you pay your QB/WR duo almost 70M between them, stop gaps will exist.  Every year.  

add in a 30 for your pass rusher.

What he is saying is that stop gaps can be rookies and  not invest in expensive veterans,

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ganesh said:

What he is saying is that stop gaps can be rookies and  not invest in expensive veterans,

Agreed, but aging veterans that can be had for cheaper deals that still have a year or two blended with rookies and young players on rookie contracts is how you win.

Obviously the Bills have chosen their "superstars" money wise.

Beane needs to do a better job on the drafting young players for sure, but it doesn't get rid of the need for vets that can still play at a discount. 

3 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

If anything we should be doing the same exact thing that Minnesota is doing, cutting old, over the hill kind of players.

Let’s not spend big money on their castoffs. If Buffalo wanted to spend money on a FA vet safety they would’ve just kept Poyer.

And I know this may not be a popular take but I think Buffalo should dump Micah Hyde too. I realize that I’m going to get torched for this and I mean torched but the dude is 32 coming off a neck injury, jus’ sayin’.

🔥🔥🔥🔥

The Bills will avoid a rookie safety tandem IMO.

15 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I knew that this was coming because I know how emotionally attached fans can be to their favorite players. I get it. I’m looking at the situation analytically and with a cold heart.

What good is a 32 year old safety who is coming off a major neck injury? Neck injuries are no joke. He missed 15 games last year.

We could probably free up $5M-$7M if we dump him. That money could go to OL/WR. Wouldn’t you rather we sign an elite player like Isaac Seumalo or a nice weapon for Josh? That alone pushes the needle forward more than an old safety who is damaged goods at this point.

Football is a cold world, I get it. 

I’m not emotionally attached to anyone.  Poyer is my favorite player.  He’s gone and I have no problem with it.  What you’re talking about is something entirely different…..and it makes zero sense if we want to win a Super Bowl next season. 

we can sign other players AND keep Hyde.  Watch….. it’s going to happen.  Signing FA’s and keeping Hyde aren’t mutually exclusive.  

21 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

We're going from a soon to be 32 yo Safety to a 34 yo Safety?

This is what you are struck with when you continually have drafts that yield little or JAGs…

And reading that Beane uses Parcells as a sounding board….well good luck being stuck in 1990.

Edited by ControllerOfPlanetX
  • Eyeroll 1

14 hours ago, ganesh said:

And what I’m saying is, no they all can’t be and they won’t be.  Veteran stop gaps don’t have to be expensive.   Veteran stop gaps can bring a lot to position rooms and the locker room.  They are often positive presences.  Having a mix of vets and rookie is the way to go.  Not JUST rookies.  

You’d be hard pressed to find a contending team in the league that doesn’t have vet stop gaps getting snaps. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

And what I’m saying is, no they all can’t be and they won’t be.  Veteran stop gaps don’t have to be expensive.   Veteran stop gaps can bring a lot to position rooms and the locker room.  They are often positive presences.  Having a mix of vets and rookie is the way to go.  Not JUST rookies.  

You’d be hard pressed to find a contending team in the league that doesn’t have vet stop gaps getting snaps. 

The blend is key.
 Vets can often be the mentors. Thats part of why it is critical to grab the ones with skills and mindset to teach and lead

Hyde is  the brains of this defense, even if it gets tweaked. We saw what happened last season when we lost him.

I would never trade him . But we do need his protégé asap . and soon Poyer's next up.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.