Vikings HOF coach Bud Grant passes away - Age 95

Draconator

Great coach i use to love watching his teams they were always good games and some of the players he had were great players too !

RIP coach thanks for the memories !! 

The purple people eaters were a great D !!! 

Edited by T master
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

So hysterical 🙄Yes he certainly lived a long live. Doesn’t mean he can’t be honored. 

can’t be honored? I was just pointing out it was a bit funny to be shocked by a 95 year old guys passing. I’d be shocked if the headline read bud grant died fighting off great whites while scuba diving. He lived a long great life and will be celebrated as such. 

20 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Sorry…thumb typing. But my comment still stands. Both coached in the CFL apparently (I didn’t know Grant had). And obviously both took multiple teams to the Super Bowl without winning it. 

They also have both lived well into their 90s until Bud passed yesterday.  

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

can’t be honored? I was just pointing out it was a bit funny to be shocked by a 95 year old guys passing. I’d be shocked if the headline read bud grant died fighting off great whites while scuba diving. He lived a long great life and will be celebrated as such. 

Nobody was shocked but you. Whatever you’re clever. 

This is sad news; i grew up developing my love for football and the NFL watching and listening to coaches like Bud. Guys were great leaders of men, back when men were men with no “toxic masculinity” , just great husbands and fathers with work ethics that were examples of how to succeed in all phases of life. We’ve lost strong role models as we’ve seen the breakdown of traditional families and Bud Grant was by all accounts a good role model and was an example of the great that the NFL was part of as the league grew around legends of the time. Landry was a man like that as well, with a larger than life persona. Lombardi , Hank Stram, Madden , and of course Marv Levy are all examples of what i remembered to be good about the NFL and were some of the great coaches i grew up watching as the NFL blossomed over the years. 

I don’t mean to leave other great coaches or owners out , i just mentioned a few i remember seeing as a kid /teenager with limited games to watch as i became a fan and got hooked on the NFL as a great hobby and interest for most of my life.  Those were some great Sundays watching games with my father, who was a Joe Namath fan, but still was such a great father that he went with me to SB28 in Atlanta because i was an obsessed Bills fan and he went with me hoping the Bills would finally win it all as I had followed them starting way back in ‘63.  Losing a guy like Grant , even tho I was never a Vikings fan, feels like losing another small piece of the carefree time as a kid when sports seemed so important because life’s realities hadn’t started to hit very hard yet and it was usually just about having fun!  It will really mark the end of that time for me when Marv passes as it will mark the end of a great era and time in my life when the NFL really began to become more of a  business as free agency came in and players rarely stayed with one team for a career. 

RIP Bud, and thanks for being a part of my growing up and growing into a lifelong NFL and Bills fan , and thanks for being a part of the GOOD nostalgia the NFL was built on before it became largely “ me” oriented, where now hours are devoted  to hearing about guys getting their bag and we are focused more on cap space than following a guys career development with our favorite team. Losing a guy like Grant is losing a great coach and great man, but for me it also signals another small piece passing of a simpler time as a fan when you knew every guy on the roster of your team for several years, a coach was around long enough to lose 4 super bowls,  and talk was about football and not contracts and cap space.  It’s another part of the “sucks to get old” reality that football provided a great escape from !  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, aristocrat said:

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read on here.  My girlfriend and I were in stitches reading that.  Great comment.  Was he supposed to live to 110?  

He was a great coach, and a real solid solid human being.  I remember games as a kid from Metropolitan Stadium.  It was like watching football at the North Pole.  RIP Bud.  You were what football and life were all about!  

2 hours ago, DrPJax said:

This is sad news; i grew up developing my love for football and the NFL watching and listening to coaches like Bud. Guys were great leaders of men, back when men were men with no “toxic masculinity” , just great husbands and fathers with work ethics that were examples of how to succeed in all phases of life. We’ve lost strong role models as we’ve seen the breakdown of traditional families and Bud Grant was by all accounts a good role model and was an example of the great that the NFL was part of as the league grew around legends of the time. Landry was a man like that as well, with a larger than life persona. Lombardi , Hank Stram, Madden , and of course Marv Levy are all examples of what i remembered to be good about the NFL and were some of the great coaches i grew up watching as the NFL blossomed over the years. 

I don’t mean to leave other great coaches or owners out , i just mentioned a few i remember seeing as a kid /teenager with limited games to watch as i became a fan and got hooked on the NFL as a great hobby and interest for most of my life.  Those were some great Sundays watching games with my father, who was a Joe Namath fan, but still was such a great father that he went with me to SB28 in Atlanta because i was an obsessed Bills fan and he went with me hoping the Bills would finally win it all as I had followed them starting way back in ‘63.  Losing a guy like Grant , even tho I was never a Vikings fan, feels like losing another small piece of the carefree time as a kid when sports seemed so important because life’s realities hadn’t started to hit very hard yet and it was usually just about having fun!  It will really mark the end of that time for me when Marv passes as it will mark the end of a great era and time in my life when the NFL really began to become more of a  business as free agency came in and players rarely stayed with one team for a career. 

RIP Bud, and thanks for being a part of my growing up and growing into a lifelong NFL and Bills fan , and thanks for being a part of the GOOD nostalgia the NFL was built on before it became largely “ me” oriented, where now hours are devoted  to hearing about guys getting their bag and we are focused more on cap space than following a guys career development with our favorite team. Losing a guy like Grant is losing a great coach and great man, but for me it also signals another small piece passing of a simpler time as a fan when you knew every guy on the roster of your team for several years, a coach was around long enough to lose 4 super bowls,  and talk was about football and not contracts and cap space.  It’s another part of the “sucks to get old” reality that football provided a great escape from !  

Well said! I deeply miss what the NFL used to be

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.