Who would you rather have....during his prime....Edmunds or London Fletcher?

TC in St. Louis

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Here’s your realistic argument….

London Fletcher couldn’t hold Edmunds jock in pass coverage and today’s game is a hell of a lot more about stopping the pass than it was 20 years ago.

Regardless, like Fletcher, Edmunds is about to be a former Buffalo Bill.

Exaggerations aside, I don’t disagree Edmunds has been excellent in blanketing the middle of the field in pass coverage.

Unfortunately regardless of todays game or any other days game Edmunds falls behind Fletcher in the instincts department at this point.

I’m an Edmunds believer and hoped they would keep him.

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ironically when Fletcher was here he was the whipping boy like Edmunds has been here.  I loved Fletcher, but the irrational nonsense around here was almost the same as Edmunds. As the leader in tackles, all anyone here said over and over was that it didn’t matter, Fletcher made the tackles too far downfield because he sucks so he has to go.  

All he did was go on to KEEP being one of the best LBs in the game for a long time.  Bills would go on to have crappier play at LB for a long time.  

Posters here were as wrong about Fletcher sucking as they are about Edmunds sucking.  

Im totally fine not resigning Edmunds for cap reasons, but he definitely doesn’t suck and he’s been better than the over exaggeration of his detractors around here claim.  

I wish him well in his next destination and I have a feeling he’s going to have continued and maybe even greater success elsewhere.  

Everyone also said CJ Spiller was a joke and was happy to see him walk.

But he did get paid A LOT of money to not understand Sean Payton’s playbook for a couple of years.

Uninstinctual players in the NFL don’t last. And they certainly aren’t worth the big bucks.

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Everyone also said CJ Spiller was a joke and was happy to see him walk.

But he did get paid A LOT of money to not understand Sean Payton’s playbook for a couple of years.

Uninstinctual players in the NFL don’t last. And they certainly aren’t worth the big bucks.

And that literally has nothing to do with the question here.  

Spiller was not a multiple time pro bowler who led his team at his position for 5 years.  He had one big year, so he hadn’t proven he could do it again.  

Meanwhile, Edmunds is among the leaders in tackles across the whole NFL over his time in the NFL, just like Fletcher was.  

Sorry but this comparison was a fail.

• Like (+1) 1

Fletcher was the classic TBD whipping boy who was blamed for tackling too far down the field yet went on to have a solid career after we ran him out of town.

Edmunds is a good LB, he’s not 18-20 million a year good. Reid/Mahomes abuse him regularly, using his lack of instincts against him. Burrows had no problem completing short passes over the middle despite Edmunds 27 foot wingspan. 

I like Tremaine and am all in on keeping him at a reasonable price but he’s not signing for 15 mil/year. I still think McBeane love some Edmunds though so until I see he’s signed somewhere else I’ll keep banging that drum.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, julian said:

Exaggerations aside, I don’t disagree Edmunds has been excellent in blanketing the middle of the field in pass coverage.

Unfortunately regardless of todays game or any other days game Edmunds falls behind Fletcher in the instincts department at this point.

I’m an Edmunds believer and hoped they would keep him.

I do 😄 Would never use the word “excellent” to describe Edmunds pass coverage ability and awareness. He was better this year than he has been, but his presence alone has never consistently stopped a good -> great QB from going anywhere he wants with the ball. 

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Spiller was not a multiple time pro bowler who led his team at his position for 5 years.  He had one big year, so he hadn’t proven he could do it again.  

Meanwhile, Edmunds is among the leaders in tackles across the whole NFL over his time in the NFL, just like Fletcher was.  

I mean, don't most starting LBers lead their position?  It's not like you have 3 or 4 MLB's rotating in to rack up tackles.

Besides, Edmunds was always great at getting a hand or two on a guy for Poyer or Hyde or someone else to actually finish the play.  He led the team twice in solo tackles.  2018 and 2021.  CJ Spiller led the Bills in rushing twice.

Spiller and Edmunds have a few great things in common.  Complete physical specimens, playing devalued positions, with such poor instincts sometimes that they play down to opponents that can't match their physical talent which leads to maddeningly inconsistent play and ultimately walking in FA after 5 years.

Oh and eventually the team that signs them will regret it in about 10 weeks, their FA contract will be laughed at in two years. and they will be cut and playing for peanuts in 3 years.

6 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I do 😄 Would never use the word “excellent” to describe Edmunds pass coverage ability and awareness. He was better this year than he has been, but his presence alone has never consistently stopped a good -> great QB from going anywhere he wants with the ball. 

I’m not sure there’s a long or even moderate list of middle LBs who consistently stopped good to great QBs in any facet of pass defense.

I think many fans expectations are somewhat outta whack. I guess I can be talked out of “excellent “ but when comparing his coverage ability to his contemporaries I’m leaning towards “very good” 

On 3/11/2023 at 12:03 PM, TC in St. Louis said:

Just wondering.  If everybody played with the passion of London Fletcher, this would be a different game.  

I loved watching him when he was here in St. Louis, and was thrilled he went to our team.  

But there's something about Edmunds.  I hope he stays.  I don't care what he gets paid.  

I’ll take Sam Cowart over all of them. Man injuries took his career from him he could’ve been a hofer. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I mean, don't most starting LBers lead their position?  It's not like you have 3 or 4 MLB's rotating in to rack up tackles.

Besides, Edmunds was always great at getting a hand or two on a guy for Poyer or Hyde or someone else to actually finish the play.  He led the team twice in solo tackles.  2018 and 2021.  CJ Spiller led the Bills in rushing twice.

Spiller and Edmunds have a few great things in common.  Complete physical specimens, playing devalued positions, with such poor instincts sometimes that they play down to opponents that can't match their physical talent which leads to maddeningly inconsistent play and ultimately walking in FA after 5 years.

Oh and eventually the team that signs them will regret it in about 10 weeks, their FA contract will be laughed at in two years. and they will be cut and playing for peanuts in 3 years.

Lol at you keep trying to change the comparison to an irrelevant one to further your Edmunds negative bias.  

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol at you keep trying to change the comparison to an irrelevant one to further your Edmunds negative bias.  

I know I know.  I was just so biased against the likes of Jairus Byrd and CJ Spiller and I keep getting burned. Lmao.

Just like I was so wrong that Edmunds wouldn't get extended.  And how wrong I was that him playing under his fifth year option meant Beane and co. weren't prioritizing him like their prior high draft picks that got signed well before that (if they were good).

Tremaine is closer to another Shaq Lawson than he is Roquan Smith.  The Bills know it and are acting accordingly.  But somehow we still get this weird spin like "this means Beane thinks Tremaine is awesome" lmao.

Edited by FireChans

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You lost me at Pro Bowl.  It hasn't meant anything since the 90s.  It's objectively worse than the baseball All-Star game.  I think his point about Spiller, and instincts is spot on.  The egos on these coaching staffs see players with "potential" and think they can always get more.  Fletcher came from D3 and developed into a 2nd team All-Pro.  Edmunds plays much slower than his physical capabilities.  Another team can try and get him to reach his "potential."  After all, he's only 20. 

1/4 of the leagues players could claim a Pro-Bowl designation last year (yes..I know it's hyperbole):

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/probowl.htm

111 players carried a PB designation last year. We talk about the "Hall of Very Good", this put that to shame. 

Edited by YodaMan79

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

AJ Klein isn't half the LB that Edmunds is. Not a third. 

And the idea that you should dominate every week to make big money is nonsense. Everyone has bad games. Everyone. Edmunds has very few, but he does have them. Again, everyone does.

Believe it or not, the idea that if someone is not a special player you shouldn't pay him big money does not originate with you.

And it shows how wrong you are. There are teams dying to pay him money. Because he is special. Perhaps not in the way that you and many want. But that rush to pay him shows precisely that he is special, if you couldn't get that just from the Minnesota game.

Oh, yes, please. Would anybody not?  I suspect that's why he's not on the ballot.

The only thing you have going for you is your user name bro.  Give it a rest.  You can have your opinion about Edmunds.  But to say that great players should not dominate every week is just plain wrong.  The great ones are great because they do dominate every week.  Maybe not every play.  And not every series.  But they very rarely have a bad game.  Do you think LT, Bruce, Reggie White, Ronnie Lott, or Ray Lewis had bad games??  Not many.  The bar of what is considered great today has certainly been lowered.  Judging by how many people get in the HOF each year now.  Or what the talking heads on ESPN think is "great" every day.  Justin Herbert is the perfect example of that.  He hasn't done *****.  But because he is 6'6 and can throw the ball, he is considered great by many.  If he played when QB's were fair game, he would be another Rob Johnson.

Let some other ***** team with lots of cap space pay Edmonds.  We aren't winning big time with guys like that.  And as for A J Klein, anyone who can play for at least 10 years in the NFL, and be a solid player on several teams is more than the scrub you think he is.  My son is eligible for the draft this year.  Plays OLB/edge rusher.  I would be ecstatic if he has a career like A J Klein.  Tough smart and show up every day as a leader.  And make plays when called upon.  Thats a professional.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

The only thing you have going for you is your user name bro.  Give it a rest.  You can have your opinion about Edmunds.  But to say that great players should not dominate every week is just plain wrong.  The great ones are great because they do dominate every week.  Maybe not every play.  And not every series.  But they very rarely have a bad game.  Do you think LT, Bruce, Reggie White, Ronnie Lott, or Ray Lewis had bad games??  Not many.  The bar of what is considered great today has certainly been lowered.  Judging by how many people get in the HOF each year now.  Or what the talking heads on ESPN think is "great" every day.  Justin Herbert is the perfect example of that.  He hasn't done *****.  But because he is 6'6 and can throw the ball, he is considered great by many.  If he played when QB's were fair game, he would be another Rob Johnson.

Let some other ***** team with lots of cap space pay Edmonds.  We aren't winning big time with guys like that.  And as for A J Klein, anyone who can play for at least 10 years in the NFL, and be a solid player on several teams is more than the scrub you think he is.  My son is eligible for the draft this year.  Plays OLB/edge rusher.  I would be ecstatic if he has a career like A J Klein.  Tough smart and show up every day as a leader.  And make plays when called upon.  Thats a professional.  

Didn't Klein make a TFL for on a 4th and 2 to stop Detroit and seal the game for us..IIRC a couple of weeks after coming back?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.