Who would you rather have....during his prime....Edmunds or London Fletcher?

TC in St. Louis

46 minutes ago, Success said:

A "terrible" LB?

He is one of the top FA's out there right now. Opposing fans have a much higher estimation of him than some here.

Dude is weak mentally and it shows on the field. Our d suffered because of his selfishness. 

• Eyeroll 1

Neither...Both of them dragged down ball carriers well past the Line of Scrimmage.

1 hour ago, Kiva said:

Dude is weak mentally and it shows on the field. Our d suffered because of his selfishness. 

May be it is the coaching and not putting him in the right position.  Too often we saw him be taken away from the ball carrier.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ironically when Fletcher was here he was the whipping boy like Edmunds has been here.  I loved Fletcher, but the irrational nonsense around here was almost the same as Edmunds. As the leader in tackles, all anyone here said over and over was that it didn’t matter, Fletcher made the tackles too far downfield because he sucks so he has to go.  

All he did was go on to KEEP being one of the best LBs in the game for a long time.  Bills would go on to have crappier play at LB for a long time.  

Posters here were as wrong about Fletcher sucking as they are about Edmunds sucking.  

Im totally fine not resigning Edmunds for cap reasons, but he definitely doesn’t suck and he’s been better than the over exaggeration of his detractors around here claim.  

I wish him well in his next destination and I have a feeling he’s going to have continued and maybe even greater success elsewhere.  

A huge AMEN to this post. 

Edited by Dopey
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Beane needs his best offseason to keep us in the conversation for SB contender. I don’t know about you, but his FA misses and pedestrian drafts doesn’t give me much confidence. The guy has to bring in some difference makers on both sides of the ball. He passed on Edmunds and he was our best defender. He can get two good players for Edmunds tag money. Let’s see how aggressive he is.

Yeah, completely agree.  Then again, what we think doesn't matter.  LOL 

As we've seen, Beane says he's not doing much of note in Free Agency.  

To prevent the perceptions about him from plummeting, he'll need an A+ Draft.  There's no precedent for that however.  So I guess we'll see, but I'm not sure that there's much reason for hope.  

Von Miller was a high-risk/high-reward move that covered his drafting inadequacies, but which we realized the risks on.  I personally don't think he'll play for us beyond next season and he won't be nearly the player he's been.  But the failure of that move has hamstrung us even more than we would have been.  I know that's obvious, just sayin'.  

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

London's rookie year he practically didn't play. His next 5 years he had better numbers than Edmunds. 

Fletcher

Ints   6

Sacks  18

TFL   47

Edmunds 

Ints  5

Sacks  6.5

TFL  32

....maybe Tremaine continues to grow & develop. But I just never see him being a playmaker LB.  Hopefully he goes to the NFC.

Well, OK, perspectives apparently.  I don't feel justified comparing a player at 20, 21, and 22 to one that played in his mid-20s.  

As to the differences, Fletcher also had much much more of an entire defense around him.  Kelsay, Schobel, Pat Williams, Kyle Williams, Adams in front of him.  In my book that makes an enormous difference.  He also played in a 4-3 with A, two LBs beside him, not like Fletcher having to cover the entire backfield, and some of those LBs included Spikes, Crowell, and Posey.  

Put Edmonds on those teams and Fletcher on these and that's a huge part of the difference.  

We'll see, and we'll know if for no other reason he plays much better elsewhere.  A lot of it is McD as well  

3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Neither...Both of them dragged down ball carriers well past the Line of Scrimmage.

May be it is the coaching and not putting him in the right position.  Too often we saw him be taken away from the ball carrier.

Yup. Fletcher was also victimized pretty often before he came to Buffalo. His deficiencies were targeted just like Edmunds.

My vote is neither.

Edited by Governor

15 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

London, dude was underrated and is a victim of fan “group think.”

we should have never let him go.

Exactly. I remember when fans said most his tackles were “5-10 yards down the field.” Bills fan didn’t know what they had. Just like Antoine Winfield and Pat Williams. He went on to the Redskins and had 7 more great seasons playing until he was 38 never slowing down. One of the most cerebral MLBs of all time and it’s why he was able to be effective so late in his career on top of being undersized. It’s honestly a travesty that he’s not in the HOF. I feel like he was just as good as Zach Thomas who just got elected. 14 seasons with 100+ tackles. Insane. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

Edmunds and his value as a Bills’ LB is polarizing.

Serious question with no agenda- what games did Edmunds miss that were impacted negatively by his absence? 

I don’t know the answer but am sure some of you do.  
I’m aware that AJ Klein and others have filled his role occasionally, but don’t recall a highly measurable drop off in defensive production.  Was there? 

Here’s another way to ask the original question: would you rather have Edmunds or a carbon copy of Milano playing along side Milano? 

1 hour ago, SoMAn said:

Edmunds and his value as a Bills’ LB is polarizing.

Serious question with no agenda- what games did Edmunds miss that were impacted negatively by his absence? 

I don’t know the answer but am sure some of you do.  
I’m aware that AJ Klein and others have filled his role occasionally, but don’t recall a highly measurable drop off in defensive production.  Was there? 

Here’s another way to ask the original question: would you rather have Edmunds or a carbon copy of Milano playing along side Milano? 

People point to the second half of the Minnesota game. Klein wasn't on the roster then. 

Not only would I take Fletcher with the Bills, but I'd also take the version of him that was with team I shall not name, for fear being cancelled.  He was a very impressive sideline to sideline player.  Amazing that he came from D3.  

Edit: I had no idea he was a second team all-pro twice in his later years.  Also, looking at his FF, INTs and PD...he made impactful plays, with an occasional sack.  

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.