Bears to trade #1 overall pick to Panthers

Draconator

48 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Woof, that’s huge. Bears still get a top-10 pick and likely have someone amazing fall to them when a small run on QBs inevitably takes place. Get a good WR out of it as well.

This also disintegrates one of my proposed trade back partners in the Panthers, but I could see Chicago moving up for someone in late 1st/early 2nd range…  with their extra capital it’s not a significant hit if they have their eyes on a player (Robinson is my guess)

Maybe Jalen Carter? 

50 minutes ago, Success said:

I have no idea how to gauge trade value.  Would it have cost them much more to get Lamar Jackson?

No but they'd also have to give Lamar a significant contract. It's a fair trade for both teams. I like it more from Bears side as don't see any great QBs or pass rusher or offensive tackle in this draft which to me best value in a 1st overall pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think it shows teams are interested in having a middle level talent at QB for five years at rookie prices.  With the idea they build around him (like 3 of the final 4 did this year, the eagle, bengals and niners did this year) and maybe even catch a QB for the future worth paying (which seems to be the case for Burrows and Hurts).  

Doesn’t happen that way for the majority of teams, if the middling QB you drafted is so bad that you are still drafting in the top ten when his time is up, drafting another QB is the same as starting over the vast majority of the time, and now you have those guys you have been building your roster with are looking for their next contracts with you or they move on and so the merry go round continues to spin, 

This ONLY makes sense if Justin Fields is the real deal, which is not a sure thing at this point. Nice haul though...... As we have learned first hand in Buffalo, In the NFL, the QB is EVERYTHING! You get very, very few shots at ever having the overall #1 pick..... Like Vince Lombardi famously said back in the 60's- "The NFL is the worlds greatest sport, but is has one very big flaw, the QB is far too critical Vs. the rest of the players".... It seems like this is being proven more and more each year. Good luck Bears.. It's really a big roll of the dice..

50 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t know how I feel about this class outside of CJ Stroud. There’s some really nice things I like about Bryce Young but he’s just so small that I worry about how his game translates. Anthony Richardson is a really nice project, but not someone I’d feel good about spending a ton of draft capital on. And Will Levis, God bless him, I just don’t feel it.

Same.  If I’m the colts, I’d take Stroud. I like young but I wouldn’t risk the franchise future on a QB his size.

Some of you guys would really take Richardson #1 overall?   I mean, I love the god given talent but I’d rather draft LeBron James and teach him how to play QB.  Richardson might be a slightly better runner atm, but Lebron is definitely a better passer at this point.  

Dr Evil GIF

Just now, RG Murdock said:

This ONLY makes sense if Justin Fields is the real deal, which is not a sure thing at this point. Nice haul though...... As we have learned first hand in Buffalo, In the NFL, the QB is EVERYTHING! You get very, very few shots at ever having the overall #1 pick..... Like Vince Lombardi famously said back in the 60's- "The NFL is the worlds greatest sport, but is has one very big flaw, the QB is far too critical Vs. the rest of the players".... It seems like this is being proven more and more each year. Good luck Bears.. It's really a big roll of the dice..

Is it really a roll of the dice?  What else should they do with it?  Roll the dice on another QB that most don’t really view as that great to begin with?  This makes complete sense

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

If you think that DJ Moore is worth a late first round pick, then it’s fair.  

I don’t think Moore would fetch a late first round pick, so it seems like the Panthers paid under value.  

With so many teams wanting a QB, I expected more competition.

DJ Moore has had as good of a 5 year start to his career as Stefon Diggs(less TD's but more 1,000 yard seasons and yards) and Diggs brought more than a late first in a draft that everyone knew was full of WR1's.

I think Moore would have brought a first rounder for sure.

I agree with your general point though.........it's probably more value than the 49ers traded to move up 9 spots from #12 to #3 to get Trey Lance because 2 of those 1st rounders are late and Carolina could conceivably still be drafting top 15 next season...........but that #1 overall usually brings a premium.    To make a deal this early I would have expected the Bears to be blown away.   It isn't quite THAT, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RG Murdock said:

I'm not much of a Fields fan, definitely not a big believer, but I think it's the right move to stick with him now and build around him as best they can. And this move supports that greatly.

There just isnt a Luck/Manning/Elway guy in this draft. If there were, then I'd say they must pick him - and they probably would. There isnt even a Bosa/Bruce DE, or amazing LT they can pick.

Trading down is the right move here, imo.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Doesn’t happen that way for the majority of teams, if the middling QB you drafted is so bad that you are still drafting in the top ten when his time is up, drafting another QB is the same as starting over the vast majority of the time, and now you have those guys you have been building your roster with are looking for their next contracts with you or they move on and so the merry go round continues to spin, 

Hurts, Lance/Purdy, Burrows all disagree. 

15 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Apparently, the madness isn't over. This opens the door for the Bills, because, Carolina

Ryan's cousin Roland was a local WNY sports star who played football at Tennessee.........we looked up to him growing up so I wish the family well..........but I am not sure Ryan isn't a terrible GM.    

Obviously the Chase Claypool deal looks absurd.    But his handling of the Ryan Bates offer sheet last year was a rare kind of stupidity.  I don't think the likes has been seen in the NFL since Marv Levy was the Bills GM and he signed a bunch of RFA's to offer sheets which were promptly matched.    Fake hustle and a waste of everyone's time except for the opposing GM who you negotiated the contract for.  

Just now, White Linen said:

One first 

Here we go.......

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.