Bears to trade #1 overall pick to Panthers

Draconator

24 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Wow they 

16 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

Woof, that’s huge. Bears still get a top-10 pick and likely have someone amazing fall to them when a small run on QBs inevitably takes place. Get a good WR out of it as well.

This also disintegrates one of my proposed trade back partners in the Panthers, but I could see Chicago moving up for someone in late 1st/early 2nd range…  with their extra capital it’s not a significant hit if they have their eyes on a player (Robinson is my guess)

Ya he's the only QB that sticks out to me as being worth giving up that capital for

I don’t think the Bears  got enough to be honest. Was DJ Moore valued as a 1st rounder must have been based on what they got 

Its basically a first, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and DJ Moore who was either valued as a first or 2nd round pick 

Edited by gonzo1105

Good day to be a Bears' fan.  They weren't taking a QB at 1 and just stocked the draft cupboards full of valuable picks, still get an immediate impact 1st round selection at 9 this year, and DJ Moore. 

Da Bears!

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

2 1sts (at least 1 inside the top 10 still)

2 2nds

& DJ Moore (25 years old) who would fetch a first rounder as well.  

Great deal for the Bears!

The 1st next year is valued as a 2nd this year and the 2nd in 2025 is valued as a 4th. If those two picks were the 1st pick in each round that's 696 points, let's round it to 700 for ease. Difference between 1st overall pick and the 9th is 1,650. That means DJ Moore is valued as the 17th overall pick in the draft(950 points).

9 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

The 1st next year is valued as a 2nd this year and the 2nd in 2025 is valued as a 4th. If those two picks were the 1st pick in each round that's 696 points, let's round it to 700 for ease. Difference between 1st overall pick and the 9th is 1,650. That means DJ Moore is valued as the 17th overall pick in the draft(950 points).

Yes, I Agree that the Bears got fleeced all things considered 

22 minutes ago, Success said:

I have no idea how to gauge trade value.  Would it have cost them much more to get Lamar Jackson?

Yes. Because Lamar wants 250 million guaranteed. Whichever QB the Panthers draft will be under the rookie Salary Cap for 5 years. This will be less than 40 million for the first 4 years total. Fifth year option is probably 25 million.  So 250 million - 65 million - 185 million the panthers save by not going after Lamar. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

I wish I understood this more, but I do not.  

The Panthers will be bottom dwellers for the next 2-3 years, yielding Chicago high picks, and the cupboard seems pretty bare.

Edited by Chicken Boo

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Yes, I Agree that the Bears got fleeced all things considered 

And that's counting each as the 1st pick in each round. If Carolina finishes middle of the pack the next 2 years it's equivalent to the 13th-14th overall pick.

Just now, Chicken Boo said:

I wish I understood this more, but I do not.  

The Panthers will be bottom dwellers for the next 2-3 years.  The cupboard

seems pretty bare.

Every year removed the pick is valued 1 round less. So the 2nd in 2025 is valued as a 4th in this year's draft.

18 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

No, no you didn’t, this trade is further proof that ownership/GMs will give up huge resources for middling QB talent. I’m guessing that spending a lot of money is shows that they are “contenders” lol, this ranks right up there with the Browns stupidity…, 

I think it shows teams are interested in having a middle level talent at QB for five years at rookie prices.  With the idea they build around him (like 3 of the final 4 did this year, the eagle, bengals and niners did this year) and maybe even catch a QB for the future worth paying (which seems to be the case for Burrows and Hurts).  

2 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Every year removed the pick is valued 1 round less. So the 2nd in 2025 is valued as a 4th in this year's draft.

That's a strange way of looking at things, giving the varying degree of talent pools in different drafts.

Patience is a virtue, particularly when you have a young team and a QB on a rookie deal and the draft compensation is coming from, what should be, a below average team.  

1 minute ago, Chicken Boo said:

That's a strange way of looking at things, giving the varying degree of talent pools in different drafts.

Patience is a virtue, particularly when you have a young team and a QB on a rookie deal and the draft compensation is coming from, what should be, a below average team.  

It's a one in the hand is worth two in the bush thing.

As a GM, trading for a pick 2 years from now is nice, but I may not have a job in 2 years to use it. Plus, they arent helping right now and maybe not right away even then.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.