NFL announces 2023 compensatory draft picks

chongli

13 minutes ago, chongli said:

IKR? They had three comp picks for minority hires. I am still.annoyed not a single team has hired Frazier, despite his highly-ranked defenses. Where are our picks? We sowed the seeds, but no reward. 

Awesome. If you happen to find it, post the info or link here! People want to learn.

There you go! @Buffalo_Stampede also.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I still don’t get why a team letting a minority coach go somewhere else, provides them an extra pick?  Shouldn’t the team hiring the minority coach be the one that is rewarded with an extra pick?

But then every team would try to hire minority coaches to simply acquire draft picks.

I still can't figure out how the compensatory pick for losing a minority coach is supposed to influence/fix anything. 

So, there is no incentive for hiring a minority coach unless you think a guy is so good that he will get poached from your staff in a couple of years. If that is the supposed incentive behind this, then 1. you're only going to hire guys that are good enough to get poached, and those guys were always going to get hired anyways (because they are good and experienced); or 2. You plan to wait for that incentive, 3, 4, 5 years, while you groom a young guy on your staff. But is a third round pick four years from now worth you choosing someone over maybe another guy you liked more (especially when the average coaching tenure in the NFL is 3.3 years)?

I truly can't figure out where the incentive is in this that helps more minority coaches get hired, if that is the goal. Does anyone see any logic behind this?

Plus, the system is broken when a Super Bowl caliber team is getting 7 extra picks, 3 in the third round. What happened to competitive balance? How does it feel to be Seattle (with 0 comp picks) and your division getting:  SF (7)-three 3s, a 5th, a 6th, and two 7ths; the Rams (4)-three 5ths and a 7th, and the Cardinals (3)-a 3rd, a 5th, and a 6th?

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

But then every team would try to hire minority coaches to simply acquire draft picks.

So “every” team is going to hire a minority coordinator or HC just to get an extra 3rd round pick instead of hiring who they feel Is the best candidate?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So “every” team is going to hire a minority coordinator or HC just to get an extra 3rd round pick instead of hiring who they feel Is the best candidate?

That's a fair question. I don't know the answer. Houston probably would, lol [this is a joke 😊].

19 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

We had an exec become a GM and a OC become a HC in the same year and we get nada.

(And yes, I know the reasons why, but still seems unfair)

Yeah, but you can't give comp picks to everyone who loses a coordinator or exec. The Cheatriots lost 2 coordinators in 2005 (Weiss, Crennel) and were supposed to lose two more again in 2018 (McDaniels, Patricia). The good teams would only get better this way, while the bad ones would suffer.

This is one thing i have never understood the Pats seem to get theses extra picks every year but the Bills never seem to get them what do the Pats have some one under someones desk ? WTH do you need to do to get any of these extra picks dam ...

On 3/10/2023 at 3:55 PM, frostbitmic said:

I still don't get why teams are rewarded with extra picks for letting players walk away in FA.

This is how I feel. Comp picks should not be a thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, chongli said:

isnt that exactly what theyre aiming for? we should only be hiring minority asst gm's, positional coaches, slap some bows and ribbons on them (mitch trubisky style) and let the comp picks flow

On 3/10/2023 at 8:57 PM, PetermansRedemption said:

I feel like a broken record because I say it every year, but this is one of the stupidest things in professional sports. Why do we reward teams who can’t or won’t retain their own drafted talent. 

actually reward teams for not resigning minority candidates. THATLL WORK! LOL

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.