NFL announces 2023 compensatory draft picks

chongli

[didn't see this posted elsewhere.]

SF gets 7 picks (including three 3rds).

Giants get a 5th and a 7th, plus KC's compensatory 3rd from the Kadarius Toney trade. 

KC gets a 3rd (traded to the Giants), 6th and a 7th.

Rams get three 5ths and a 7th.

New England gets a 4th and a 6th.

None for Buffalo.

Edited by chongli
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ll never understand compensatory picks.

It’s not hard. If you gain more Free Agents then you lose you get nothing. If you lose more Free Agents and then you sign you’re eligible for that amount of comp picks. Then they take like salaries of players gained/lost and take them out of the equation leaving two guys you get picks on. 

Over the cap is like 95% accurate and make it very easy to learn 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

It’s not hard. If you gain more Free Agents then you lose you get nothing. If you lose more Free Agents and then you sign you’re eligible for that amount of comp picks. Then they take like salaries of players gained/lost and take them out of the equation leaving two guys you get picks on. 

Over the cap is like 95% accurate and make it very easy to learn 

That’s easy. Now tell me how you get a 3rd round pick over a 7th? I understand compensation for minority hires.

I looked at OTC and I see they gave Christian Kirk a 3rd round value for the Cardinals while Von Miller was only a 5th round value for the Rams.

I don’t get it.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

35 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This. It's actual discrimination

No it’s not, its compensatory…, 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It is pretty simple. 

36 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I understand how you get them, I don’t understand how they come up with what picks you get.

I did an explainer last year. Will try and dig it out. In its simplest form it is about the AAV of the deal your free agents sign (both incoming and outgoing). 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That’s easy. Now tell me how you get a 3rd round pick over a 7th? I understand compensation for minority hires.

I looked at OTC and I see they gave Christian Kirk a 3rd round value for the Cardinals while Von Miller was only a 5th round value for the Rams.

I don’t get it.

Ok I’ll try to make it as easy as possible. There are also certain thresholds for salaries so if we lose or sign a guy under the minimum threshold it doesn’t count to the formula. Cut players don’t count in the formula.  There are also only 32 comp picks given out. Each team can get a max 4 comp pick on players and additional comp picks on minority coaches which is how the 49ers got 7. 

So let’s say this year: the Bills lose 4 guys that meet the minimum amount. The amounts are the average per year pay. So we lose Edmunds for 17 million, Poyer for 10 million, Singletary signs for 4 million a year, and Rodger Saffold for 4 million a year. 

Then we go out and sign a non cut player like idk let’s say OG Isaac Seumelo for 11 million a year and he’s our only Free Agent we sign that wasn’t cut. 

We lose: 

Edmunds 17 million

Poyer 10 million

Singletary 4 million 

Saffold 4 million

We gained: 

Isaac Seumelo for 11 million

Thats a net lose of 3 players which means the Bills are now eligible for 3 comp picks. They then take the 2 most like Average per year and negate each other. In this case Poyer contract is the most like Seumelo. 

That leaves us with Edmunds, Singletary, and Saffold as players we can get comp picks for. Based on last years threshold we would get

3rd for Edmunds, 6th for Singletary, and a 6th for Saffold. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don't understand compensatory picks. I don't understand dead cap. I don't understand what's a catch anymore. I don't understand how wind can be confused. I don't understand why we didn't pooch with :13.  I really don't understand why we don't help Josh.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.